Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Samie92   Takahiro111   Samie92  

Member  Message

Samie92
View Profile

Pet store chameleon rescue!

im not able to post a picture sadly my computer is dumb so will explain what i dealt with today.

So in my city there is a couple of pet stores however i only really go into the one as its easier to get to when i need crickets.... i wish i was able to breed my own but it just doesn’t work anyways, i have been tons of times that their reptiles (and other animals but im focusing on reptiles here) that are not being cared for right and it totally ... makes me mad... today i went in to find the veiled chameleon female they have had for a few months now was laying on her side at the bottom of the cage totally black, at first glance i thought she was dead!! I have told them a million times that she shouldn’t be out in the busiest area plus last i saw her she was attempting to lay eggs where there was no substrate so i dumped a bag of dirt into the cage after i bought it at the store. today however she just was not looking good at all... i asked the manager if i could have her as she was clearly dying!! he told me no that i had to pay a $100 so i paid the greedy man and then put her in one of the boxes they had with some paper towel. i rushed her home, after examining her closer i found her crest was SUPER sunken in all her legs were beyond swollen and also the top of her crest was black (from being in the box she turned a lighter green) her eyes were sunken in horrible as well, as she laid in my hands hissing up a storm i saw that her mouth is very very pale as well. so i got some insect smoothie stuff i had from baby leopard geckos that didn’t want to eat, i mixed some calcium in and a vitamin powder, i made it a bit runnier than it should be and fed her the syringe. she is now in a ventilated bin that only has a very small vine in it as i don’t want her falling off anything if she attempts to climb, but she just laid in the bottom after i got her in it, i have put a UV light over her but since it is a plastic bin i opted for a heat pad on the bottom too keep her warm, its not normally what i do as i have other chameleons but she just lays there on the bottom so want to keep her warm, the temp is low however so she wont get too hot if she doesn’t move. I will be super surprised if she doesn’t die in a couple days. im on here asking if anyone has anymore ideas i can use? i will be attempting to get small amounts of water into her as well with the syringe until she starts licking it off things like a normal cham. from my best guess i would say she is extremely dehydrated and some MBD.

any extra help would be great!!

02/11/15  08:30pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Samie92   In reference to Message Id: 2312284

Your correct she’s in the danger stages of dehydration and sounds ro me like she has mbd is her limbs are swollen...Take her to the vet asap so she’ll get treated and put on meds right away and get hydrated.

02/11/15  11:09pm

Samie92
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2312287

Hi

my vet refuses to see her, the area i live in they have ZERO reptile vets, the next reptile vet is a seven hour drive one way. I have boosted her vitamins and calcium intake, im giving her daily showers and hand feeding her every two days, she is on a reptile boost formula as well and giving her electrolytes. I have video chatted with a vet in another country about this, and she thinks not only does she have MBD but also gout and edema. the edema is gone now and she is gaining weight very very slowly as well as no longer is dehydrated. She is unable to climb at all so she is still in her bin setup with a heat mat and her light so she can stay warm.

04/13/15  08:12pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area