Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jamjam   Takahiro111   Marmonsterrr   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Jamjam
View Profile

Sick veiled chameleon

I have a female veiled chameleon about 4 months old and I am very worried about her.
Before she was sick, I fed her about 10 crickets a day. I would feed the crickets "flukers calcium fortified cricket quencher" and carrots.
She lives in a glass tank with screen top, I have a UVB bulb and a heat lamp. I also have a waterfall in the tank and mist the tank 4 times a day.
I keep the temperature between 80-90 degrees F and 70 degrees at night. I try to keep the humidity between 40-60%. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.
For the past two weeks she has barely been eating and was crawling along the bottom of her tank very slowly. I left for 2 days and had my friend look after her. Today, she didn’t open her eyes in the morning and is just barely hanging on a branch, she has no strength. I’m scared she might fall off the branch. I thought maybe she was dehydrated so I put her beside the sink and let the water run very slowly, but she showed no interest. Her feces is either dark brown or white. I have not been able to note a change in feces but it does look dry.
I really need help, I am so worried about her and I will be devastated if I lose her.
I can’t figure out how to add photos here but she is very skinny, I just noticed a bend in her tail so I am thinking she has MBD and/or vitamin A deficiency.
Any help very appreciated

10/14/14  05:22pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Jamjam   In reference to Message Id: 2310329

Sick veiled chameleon

It can be mbd have u been giving any calcium?? And I’ve always seen chamelons in reptariums or something wire but is your tank tall?? And it sound like mbd and dehydration I think you should see a vet because the mbd isn’t on its serious stage yet.

10/14/14  07:19pm

Marmonsterrr
View Profile

Message To: Jamjam   In reference to Message Id: 2310329

Sick veiled chameleon

I would do a vet visit. They can do injections to help with dehydration and vitamins.
Try putting a cricket in a bowl of water, maybe trying to get the cricket she can get a bit more water.
I have occasionally soaked my chameleon in the bathtub when he had some pretty rough sheds and when his "skin" didn’t seem as elastic (for a lack of a better word) as usual and he seemed to really perk up. Most reptiles can absorb water through their skin so a soak mighttt help. But I’m no expert and if you are really that worried vet visit ASAP is your best bet.

11/01/14  10:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Marmonsterrr   In reference to Message Id: 2310631

Sick veiled chameleon

I never had a chamelon but how are they as pets.

11/01/14  11:17pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area