Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Vfierberg   Chameleon_man   Vfierberg   Chameleon_man   Vfierberg   Fire Fox  

Member  Message

Vfierberg
View Profile

Panther Help

Hello! I’m currently looking into getting a panther chameleon. I just wanted to make sure I got everything right before I go to get him. I’ll probably get him in a month or two, after I’m sure the cage setup is working. I was wondering if I could use a large birdcage for him, obviously with narrow mesh so he doesn’t get out? I just think some of the birdcages are so beautiful and large, so it would be a nice place for him to explore. If not, obviously I will get him the best kind of cage he could have. Are live plants or fake plants better? And what are the safest kind of lights for the little guy? I see so many mixed messages on whether or not to handle them. The reptile show I was at recently had a beautiful cham that the man let me hold for a bit, and he didn’t seem to mind. I’m no expert though, so if not handling them at all is better then I just want what is best for him.

04/13/13  05:43pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Vfierberg   In reference to Message Id: 2295594

Panther Help

if you have not owend any reptiles before then its not a good choice. this is more of a "advanced" reptile. But I have seen people modify large bird cages for them. it can be done. what you will need is a heat light and a UVB light. get a misting system and a fogging system. just make sure that if you decide to get one. spend the money and do it right. chameleons are not and animal you can skimp on or he WILL die.

chameleons are VERY good at hiding when they are sick.

as far as holding. I would not hold it a lot but getting it out every know and then is fine.

DO NOT BUY A BABY! and by a baby I mean one that was born less then 3 months. They die very easily as babies. so I recommend buying a sub-adult cham or one that is atleast a few months old.

04/14/13  11:00pm

Vfierberg
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2295662

Panther Help

Thank you for the advice! I know they’re rather complicated which is why I want to make sure everything is right before I get one. I have a beardy right now, so I know a bit about reptiles, and I’ve been caring for animals since I was a child on my farm. My mom is a vet, so trust me, I know not to skimp.

04/21/13  07:26pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Vfierberg   In reference to Message Id: 2296028

Panther Help

if anything get a veild first. they are a lot more hardy then panthers.

04/21/13  07:41pm

Vfierberg
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2296029

Panther Help

hmm... I’ll think about it. I’m pretty confident with my ability to care for animals. The reason I’m on here is so I can make sure I get everything right before I buy him, so that he can be taken care of. Thank you for your input, but I think I’ll stick to getting a panther for now.

05/30/13  01:33pm

Fire Fox
View Profile

Message To: Vfierberg   In reference to Message Id: 2297937

Panther Help

My sister and I are actually looking into getting a Panther as well. We’re not new to reptiles but it always helps to do as much research as you can. We’ve been thinking this over for a few months now and have started getting the supplies over that time. From what we’ve read:

-Live plants are better than fake. They help with humidity as well as offer the Chameleon cover. Hibiscus, Ficus, Umbrella, and Pothos seem to be the most commonly used. Just make sure that if you go with live plants to use soil without fertilizer. You may also want to clean the plant since many are sprayed with pesticides.

-There are debates on lighting, depending on whether the Chameleon is a juvenile or adult. A single mercury vapor (MV) bulb contains UVB,UVA, and heat all in one but apparently gets way too hot for juveniles. This seems ok for adults though.

-We’ve see a lot of debates on handling as well. Some people will say that it’s not good for your Chameleon, while others have a few that seem to be comfortable or even enjoy being handled for short periods of time. I have personally seen ones that simply hate being handled ( trying to get away, hissing, biting), while others allow it or even approach and climb on first. I think this is more of a personal thing, as well as depending on the personality of the Chameleon.

Hope this helps.

06/05/13  07:01pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area