Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bspiraku   Burmball033c   LunaC  

Member  Message

Bspiraku
View Profile

Veiled Chameleon not taking crickets

my chameleon has not been eating crickets as of late...as far is i can tell he is getting enough water and is taking meal worms by hand when they are offered. He is misted regularly and has a live plant in the cage (umbrella tree) that he does eat off of. The cage is a 36x18x18 class tank with a mesh top. I have two bulbs one for basking and another heat lamp set off for keeping the temps at an ok level at night. Im not sure what i should do as it has been about three days and he usually goes right for them

11/29/12  06:36pm

Burmball033c
View Profile

Message To: Bspiraku   In reference to Message Id: 2286681

Try other thing chameleons like a variety

12/03/12  05:36pm

LunaC
View Profile

Message To: Bspiraku   In reference to Message Id: 2286681

Chams do enjoy a variety of feeders, and sometimes they do just go off food for no apparent reason.

However, there could be other reasons as well. A little more information about your cham and setup migh be helpful.

1) How old is the cham? What size crickets was he eating previously? Do you gut-load them?

2) I notice you keep him in a glass tank with 2 heat sources. Exactly what are the temps - both basking and cooler side? It could be your cham is too hot inside that glass tank. Veileds also do not need heat at night. In fact, a drop in temperature at night is actually beneficial to the cham. They can withstand night temps into the 50’s quite easily.

3) Do you have a source for UVB?

Offer something besides meal worms; there is very little nutrition there. Dubia roaches, hornworms, Phoenix worms, silkworms are all tasty and much more nutritious. Hopefully he’s just being fussy and will return to his cricket staple diet soon.

12/04/12  07:57pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area