Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kjconley98   Foyetthesnake   LunaC  

Member  Message

Kjconley98
View Profile

Pink thing hanging out of my chameleons back side??

About a month ago I rescued a chameleon, he came to me with a round pink thing hanging out of his back side near his tail. At first I thought it might be a penis but now I’m pretty sure that it isn’t supposed to be there. Perhaps it could be a prolapsed anus? I have no clue. It doesn’t seem to effect his eating habits, he eats about 100 crickets every 4 to 5 days, and he is active and appears to have normal coloring. Does anyone know what this might be and what I should do?

10/11/12  10:40pm

Foyetthesnake
View Profile

Message To: Kjconley98   In reference to Message Id: 2282681

to me this honestly sounds like a penis. Ive had this happen befor, someone tried to "pop" a brown anole (pop mean to pop its genitile organds out to see if its a boy girl. Well the penis got stuck like that, the anole died a short time later from old age, so i would leave it be for a while and if it doest go "back in" then id get it checked out

10/21/12  06:30pm

LunaC
View Profile

Message To: Kjconley98   In reference to Message Id: 2282681

It sounds like a hemipenal prolapse. Sometimes it will retract on it’s own.
Sometimes, not. It depends upon how long the condition has existed and what his environment has been.

If it’s been really been more than a month, then the prolapse must be kept moist and well-lubricated (like with a Neosporin type medicine.) Chances are if it’s been that long then some of the tissue is already dead (dark or purple).

I’ve used a cool sugar/water solution applied to the area to reduce swelling, but only when I didn’t think I would stress out the cham even more.

Give him plenty of privacy, humidity & away from females and in a stress-free, traffic-free space.

It’s good that he’s eating well - make sure he drinks a lot of water too, and let it rain inside his enclosure!

10/22/12  01:05am

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area