Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Magnetb0y   Jo108   Magnetb0y   Jo108   Jo108   Cads   Magnetb0y   Cads   Cads   Magnetb0y   Cads   Cads   Magnetb0y   Cads   Ktrain  

Member  Message

Magnetb0y
View Profile

My Veiled Experience So Far, a different tale. :0

Forum,
I was looking for tips on mating since my male and female veileds just got together, I am almost certain
I will have eggs shortly.
But reading some of these posts about veileds really can be misleading if you get a new veiled.
I am not saying they can be made to act like lab puppies but my experience has been a bit different than what has been posted here.
First I have a Female Vieled, 1 year old named Froggy, she was a wild caught by the kid who used to mow my lawn down in Boca Raton Florida. I’ve had her about 6 months and have learned a lot.
1. She was nice, then she turned a bit hissy. First when I got her you could get her out of the cage, she would not protest, and handle her fine. She would scurry up you but not the super fear I hear in these forums. After about 3 months she had a growth spurt and got hissy when I took her out the cage. I was told by a reptile shop owner to hand feed her and get HER OUT MORE. I started hand feeding her when I could and taking her on trips in the car hanging from my rear view mirror. I even took her to a party, welp, screw stress and a lot of the other things I read on the internet, she is bright colored, helathy and happier than ever, and she likes hangiing out in the truck.
So there.
Now for the male, Abby Normal, just got him last month, he’s a year old that appears was also a Florida wild caught that a different pet shop pratctially gave me because he was too aggressive. He makes mega colors more than my female but bites every chance he gets, but we are working on it. Things that work so far are wrapping him loosley in a shirt and holding him calms him down, and get this, hand feeding him lettuce, he likes lettuce. So we are working on his temper.
Things I do that help:
1. I dust my crickets with vitamin D3 plus, just lightly but evenly. That seems to be working well.
2. THE ICE BLOCK TRICK. - I water my veileds by creating an ice block in the freezer in a tuppeware square over my screened cage. They really like this.
3. I let them roam during the day on my back window in the sun on the blinds, I also live in Florida though, heat helps.
4. Summer time I put them out under a porch light at night, they get a bug smorgassboard. So far no illness. Also Florida or summer heat thing.
5. SOCIALIZE. Its working for me spoilers, sorry.
I have a lot of pets, cats, dogs, fish, lots of fish, all kinds, but I disagree, I think a veiled is an easier pet than a rodent or even a dog once you get used to crickets. I also find it easer to take my chameleon places than taking other pets.
Well, go ahead and attack forum. Oh, sorry this is all true, have pictures videos whatever, so um, take your "don’t handle them, obseve the difficult animal crap" and stick it!!! Nyahh!!!!! :D

01/04/12  12:47am

Jo108
View Profile

Message To: Magnetb0y   In reference to Message Id: 2249604

I started hand feeding her when I could and taking her on trips in the car hanging from my rear view mirror. I even took her to a party, welp, screw stress and a lot of the other things I read on the internet, she is bright colored, helathy and happier than ever, and she likes hangiing out in the truck.
that just says it all for me is this a joke post? i hope it is if not u are not fit to have one of these creatures

01/04/12  12:38pm

Magnetb0y
View Profile

Message To: Jo108   In reference to Message Id: 2249633

No, its not a joke. I am wondering how you are interpreting what I am saying. "Hanging from the rear view mirrior" like a vine, they climb. I took her to a party clung to my chest where she is very content and sleeps. I sense no stress when walking around with her clung to my chest. .... Do you even own one? Of course Im fit to own one. Im not afraid of them. If you are afraid of them or afraid to socialiize them YOU are unfit to own one. Your attack is a joke there conservative, let the attacks continue.

01/04/12  11:01pm

Jo108
View Profile

Message To: Magnetb0y   In reference to Message Id: 2249732

10 years experience and bred them for almost 8 year with lots of success and had ones that lived for over 7 years how long have u had yours ?and experience? taking it to partys is just a irresponsible owner of one of these creatures and am sure if more people were on this forum like there used to be they would tell u the same maybe they have all left cause of idiot owners who do stupid thing with there lizards
FACT your pet will not last long thats the bottom line this poor thing has for the future do u think u will reach 3 years with it ? sorrry but i dont think so u can do all the things u want with it to please u but think of the lizard what would it do in the wild go to a party / get real and start being a real responsible keeper of your pet sure take it out and let it wander but partys? get a grip av seen 10 year old look after one better

01/05/12  12:43pm

Jo108
View Profile

Message To: Jo108   In reference to Message Id: 2249788

and another thing they are to young to breed still although the female will lay eggs almost every 3 months but till u mate them they will be in fertile but u must provide her with a nest box of sand for her to dig it needs to be damp she will dig test holes to check its right or she will hold onto them and maybe just drop them all around the viv its must be 12 to 15 inch deep it can take a day to comlete the process so dont disturb her when she is done give her plenty to drink and food with calcium on it
also never never kepp them together only when its time to mate they meet and when its done back in separate vivs they will fight and the female will get very stressed by him pursuing her all thetime and she may bite him
theres some free advice for u FACT if she has no laying area she will die egg bound and the eggs take 6 to 8 month to hatch and checked regular for moldy eggs and when u get 70 hatching at once can u afford the food bill to feed them?

01/05/12  12:51pm

Cads
View Profile

Message To: Jo108   In reference to Message Id: 2249790

jo some people never listen time will only show these people u mean well when there lizards dies

01/05/12  02:22pm

Magnetb0y
View Profile

Message To: Jo108   In reference to Message Id: 2249790

Hi,
I understand and I thank you for your moreso detailed response with great information.
First off, I did not let her WANDER at the party. She stayed clung to my chest under my neck which
in my 6 month observation she finds very soothing and comfortable. I let only very few folks even touch her.
Second - I agree with all you have said, the egg laying I am aware of, and I believe she may or may not have a go around. If in fact there is an iindication that a succesful egg laying situation might occur I will go to my experts and either do what is needed or let them take over.
I don’t see it to diffiicult since it seems to be happeniing wildly in Boca Raton, but I do spoil my pets,
oh and I DO SPOIL THEM. :) You can be sure of that.

I do agree with the Male female relationship issue, They do not like to cohabitate and so far Ive managed to keep them apart, if I can ever get the male to become somehwat less aggressive I will make him his own cage but at this point Im still not sure , its going to take a lot of time, I think he was either neglected or abused with his owner prior to this shop, but I did have a spell where my female was testy and shes fine now.

I have sand ready as well for the eggs, I’ve read quite a bit on them, I am just hoping that a different vibe may change some of the instinct, its seemed to work with her and I will tell you, she is healthy and will most likely live far beyond 3 years, she is cute and does liike me to an extent, Im sorry if you never had this experience. Breeders sometimes do not have enough time for individual attention to animals and it can be that way with any animals. I give my chams a lot of personal time.

I also show the picture above of the truck mirror, I will argue with any expert that this ride has turned from stressful to something she likes, she really responds well since we started. I had to take her to a vet one day and realized putting her in a cage was too stressful, she was extremely angry so I let her crawl around and she found crawling up my air freshener was her most favorite spot, now its a daily affair. Keep in mind I live in humid hot Florida.

Trust me, I’m not doing anything exceptional for the creatures nature, especially wild ones. Ive had much success with other dificult creatures such as my Oscar fish that doesnt eat gooldfish for some reason, and the angry cat that is nice now, etc.. I had started at the same point with these pets.

I do appreciate your input, however there are new ways and things get invented all the time, thats the world. I really want to appreciate these creatures and I am looking for creative ways to appreciate them that don’t hurt them. Some long time local experts are impressed with some of my creative tactics, and one of them who tamed a Panther told me to try to hand feed and socialize, and this shop owner breeder has been right every time so, appreciate your comments.

You are welcome to throw more darts at me. :D

01/05/12  02:30pm

Cads
View Profile

Message To: Magnetb0y   In reference to Message Id: 2249798

heres a few pics of jo s lizards from the old archives in november 2006 so it shows u just how long ago she was doin this
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/DCFC0153.JPG
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/DCFC0128.JPG
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/DCFC0129.JPG
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/CROP-DCFC0099.jpg
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/DCFC0043.JPG
the female when u show her the male if she hisses and rocks back and forth she is not ready if she looks like this pic all blue dots and stuff she is ok
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/17072005.jpg
http://www.repticzone.net/images/24762/16072005002.jpg

01/06/12  03:30pm

Cads
View Profile

Message To: Cads   In reference to Message Id: 2250006

no sure how to work the links but if u copy and paste them to a new window uwill se them sorry

01/06/12  03:32pm

Magnetb0y
View Profile

Message To: Cads   In reference to Message Id: 2250007

Wow! Beautiful!
Yeah, she does the rock back and forth thing and I was told as well from someone else she is too young. I really am scared at the proposition of breeding these guys, just seems like a lot to take on.
I took my male to the shope today, I learned that as long as I dont touch his back and go underneath giving him a level surface to crawl on my hand he is less aggressive.
A guy at the shop thats had quite a few showed me this and said that it’s instinct sometimes if you come over its head or touch its back that it thinks you are a bird preying on him. Hmm.. :D Not sure but he’s acting much better now and his colors are bright again, he was going black on me for a while, not good.
I am going to give him another week, then I most likely will get him his own repti breeze and try to keep them out of sight from each other. I see how she goes crazy when she sees him.
When she turns tha blue color for mating I guess then Ill decide if I really want to take that on.
If I don’t physically remove the eggs and put them in an incubator they wont hatch? I dont get it, how the heck do they keep breeding in Florida outside without all that going on? I just assume it would be risky and delicate to try to dig up the eggs and move them. I could see myslelf clumsily screwing that up.

01/07/12  01:35am

Cads
View Profile

Message To: Magnetb0y   In reference to Message Id: 2250083

once she finishes laying she covers them all up and leaves never to return and the babys the size of your thumb nail hatch out and have to dig out of this hence the large number of eggsthey lay as not all would survive but in captivity me and jo had to dig them up and then lift them the position they were in without turning them over kepping them the same way u lifted them and placed them in plastic tubs with damp substrate in boxes of 25 eggs lying on the surface so u can see them and when they hatch they dont have to dig makeing sure all survive but the hard part is feeding how do u no who has had food and who not?some grow fast my first batch 56 all survived but my second of 70 15 died and 9 from the next one
its a lot of cash lol £40 a week for 8 weeks befroe i sold them to give them a good healthy start to life
male
yes always put your hand out flat in front of him u can put it up ti his chin he will step on never grab from sides very thin ribs and also its true they think u a predator when touching them from the back so flat back of the hand to him at the front he will like that better
to find if she is ready all u have to do is have the male on your hand and show him to her if she hissses put him back in his cage u will no when the time is right she wil show u a would wait till she is 2 till breed
the eggs will not hatch on there own in the sand and will dry up and go moldy needs to be right temps and moist when u see her sides bulging u can actually see the eggs sticking out her skin always give her calcium she uses a lot in her system to produce the eggs
look at his head from the back to the front when his eyes go back to see u his face looks like a birds head lol
i actually have a video somewhere form 56 eggs hatching out and they do the funny walk as soon as they out of egg lol and on the same tape i have a courtship and mating of my pair of veileds the male is around 2ft long will see if a can find it

01/07/12  07:45am

Cads
View Profile

Message To: Cads   In reference to Message Id: 2250097

click my profile and look at the gallery i have a orange female that was in a batch of eggs one time she was a one of

01/07/12  01:01pm

Magnetb0y
View Profile

Message To: Cads   In reference to Message Id: 2250115

that is awesome! So you still have your breeder male and female?

01/09/12  04:08pm

Cads
View Profile

Message To: Magnetb0y   In reference to Message Id: 2250384

no my male and female were 3 years old at the time in they pics male lived to 7 and female was 5 even when u dont breed she still keeps laying these eggs its a never ending cycle and it takes a lot out of her when she died i did not no if it was egg bound or old age but she had the best life and so did the male a whole bedroom kitted out in alll there needs for being out there tanks even uv bulbs on the wall of the room
only have my tortoises now dog parrot and snake no reptiles but will get someagain in future

01/09/12  04:59pm

Ktrain
View Profile

Message To: Magnetb0y   In reference to Message Id: 2250384

Whattttt I live in Boca.

09/13/12  02:50am

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area