Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Chameleons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mythkity   Chitown   Mythkity   Blondekiss x   Chitown   Kinyonga   Jo108   Jonas77   Deadlyconfetti   OoranaMenaKeeper10.0   Gravycanfield   Cho-Hakai   Marmonsterrr   Marmonsterrr  

Member  Message

Mythkity
View Profile

VERY aggressive veiled.

I can’t go near the enclosure with out her puffing up and hissing. I’ve had her for about 8 months now. I don’t know how old she was when I bought her. Any suggestions? Or am I doomed with a lizard that despises me? I know they are the type of lizard that don’t want to be handled, but is this kind of behavior normal? Thanks for reading.

12/08/11  09:17am

Chitown
View Profile

Message To: Mythkity   In reference to Message Id: 2246499

VERY aggressive veiled.

from my experience, make sure the cage is not in a high traffic area in your house, try to have the cage as high off the ground as possible, when you are entering the room do not move too fast. After a while your cham should get better. ive had my cham for 3yrs now and he would always puff up in the beginning, but now he will actually climb out onto my hand so i can bring him to his cage in the backyard when the weather is nice. im sure some of the more experienced people on this site will either have some more info for you or disagree with some of the stuff im saying here, but this is what i have learned from my experience, so i hope it helps. just be patient

12/09/11  01:48pm

Mythkity
View Profile

Message To: Chitown   In reference to Message Id: 2246610

VERY aggressive veiled.

She is in a very low traffic area. I have a room just for my reptiles. I’m the only one that goes in there. Her enclosure is high up as well. I guess I just need patience. Thank you for your response!

12/10/11  12:20am

Blondekiss x
View Profile

Message To: Mythkity   In reference to Message Id: 2246673

VERY aggressive veiled.

Do u handle her? U should get her out and handled, my 2 cum out every day if only for few mins. Hand feeding is always a good way to earn trust. My female hand feeds but my male only does every now n then, he’s a grumpy thing but male Yemen are lol. Hope this helps xx

12/10/11  05:51pm

Chitown
View Profile

Message To: Blondekiss x   In reference to Message Id: 2246729

VERY aggressive veiled.

from my experience, and from talking to experienced breeders and reading post in this forum, these animals are not meant to be held. The only time they should be held is taking them in and out of the cage to clean, bring outside, or health related. they stress very easily. some people will tell you that their chams tolerate handling very well, but i would say that is not the case with the majority of chams. Ask a very experienced breeder and they will tell you the less handling the better. Yes my cham does hand feed as well, but this isn’t something you want to do on a regular basis cause some people have found that when doing this all the time, it then turns out that this is the only way their cham will eat.

to sum up, the reason why i started getting into chams is because i thought they were a very fascinating animal. I would just come home from work and sit in the corner of the room and just watch my catch. i feel that if you want to interact with an animal get a dog or cat. these animals like to be kept to themselves.

12/12/11  07:42am

Kinyonga
View Profile

Message To: Chitown   In reference to Message Id: 2246930

VERY aggressive veiled.

Do you have a place for her to dig in the cage in case she needs to lay eggs?
What colors is she showing?
Is she plump in the back end?

12/16/11  05:38am

Jo108
View Profile

Message To: Kinyonga   In reference to Message Id: 2247355

VERY aggressive veiled.

as mentioned these are not pets like a cat u pick up and play with they are solatary animals in wild and only meet another to mate not a best buddy to pick up and play games with u gotta respect them and give them there space
do u have a dig area for her . if not u need to get one even if u have not mated her she will still be gravid with false eggs and she needs to deposit them or she will die egg bound FACT this must be wide enough for her to turn round in and walk around 12 to 14 inch deep i had mine and not to wet as she will dig test holes to check it and only dig her tunnel at the right spot where the sand is the way she wants the digging and laying can take a lot out of them and last over 24 hpurs
as for being agresive maybe its her nature and she always will be try hand feeding a wax worm when ever u go to her viv

01/04/12  12:48pm

Jonas77
View Profile

Message To: Blondekiss x   In reference to Message Id: 2246729

VERY aggressive veiled.

Quote:

Do u handle her? U should get her out and handled, my 2 cum out every day if only for few mins. Hand feeding is always a good way to earn trust. My female hand feeds but my male only does every now n then, he’s a grumpy thing but male Yemen are lol. Hope this helps xx

This is the worst advice you could give. You have one par of veileds, your experience might be different, but to advice someone to handle their chameleons more often is just plain wrong. There is this myth about how reptiles in general gets "hand tamed" by lots of handling. This is false. Its an excellent way of getting a chameleon sick or dead though.

04/28/12  06:47am

Deadlyconfetti
View Profile

Message To: Jonas77   In reference to Message Id: 2264563

VERY aggressive veiled.

I agree, i have a female cham and she is not friendly what so ever but i am not going to stress her out and handle her she lets me feed her and when im cleaning she goes onto a certain vine and i take her out i dont evne touch her and then i put her back in. The summer she loves ( i live in canada so its only for a couple of months haha) i take her out on the same vine and she stays outside for a bit while i clean up her flexarium and then i put her back in, why would i handle her when she doesnt want to be touched? Most reptiles dont like being handled anyways just some will let you without puffing up and trying to take a finger off haha.

Veiled chams... all chams are mostly a look atnd watch type lizard... maybe if you want to handle your lizard more often try getting a bearded dragon or a leopard gecko all which will let you handle them without to too much stress.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79676951@N05/7134486649/in/photostream/

She Hates the camera!!!!! I have to zoom in for her not to strike at me..... which is kind of sad lol but like i said she is kind of a Bit** lol... But im okay with that =)

05/08/12  02:29pm

OoranaMenaKeeper10.0
View Profile

Message To: Mythkity   In reference to Message Id: 2246499

VERY aggressive veiled.

Have you tried setting up a free range area for your chameleon? First off you need to hangout in the room by his cage with the door open so he gets use to you being around and doesn’t see you as a threat and maybe he’ll climb out. Try hand feeding if possible or make sure he sees you hand bringing food into his cage. This will help him associate you with food and will eventually become less aggressive toward you. Veileds are one of the more naturally aggressive chameleons, so just take it really slow and don’t force him to do anything.

06/30/12  09:12am

Gravycanfield
View Profile

Message To: Mythkity   In reference to Message Id: 2246673

VERY aggressive veiled.

If you have more than just her in a room full of reptiles she probobally does not like the becauese by her seeing other reptiles she might feel like she needs to compete with them and that makes them stressed out thus making her pissed off please reply if you have any questions.

03/13/13  07:03pm

Cho-Hakai
View Profile

Message To: Gravycanfield   In reference to Message Id: 2293702

VERY aggressive veiled.

Gravy can stated what I was about to ask. Chameleons do horribly in the presence of other reptiles , I tamed my friends but that took two years and i was the only person who could get him to come off his branches with out forcing him too. So these are just not good animals to worry with taming imo, it takes too much work and they stress way to easily, there have even been days I was incapable of getting him to climb from his branch to my hand. This was after he got used too it

05/22/13  09:26pm

Marmonsterrr
View Profile

VERY aggressive veiled.

This may have an impact. While out my chameleon sees my cat in another room and hisses at him. I have a male veiled, seeing all these people talk about aggressive or "anti-social" chameleons I feel very lucky to have Pascal. If I open his cage he does a chameleon version of running to come out. He crawls right on my hand, even if I just want to change his water. He’s never any color but a beautiful pastel green when I have him out. He loves to sit on my shoulder. He has never bitten or even attempted to. I believe he enjoys my company and tolerates if not likes to be handled. I feel that if your chameleon doesn’t warm up to you after a couple more months of talking to him and hand feeding he may just not be that kind of chameleon. Pascal was friendly from day one. You can’t force them to be social.

11/01/14  11:09pm

Marmonsterrr
View Profile

VERY aggressive veiled.

This may have an impact. While out my chameleon sees my cat in another room and hisses at him. I have a male veiled, seeing all these people talk about aggressive or "anti-social" chameleons I feel very lucky to have Pascal. If I open his cage he does a chameleon version of running to come out. He crawls right on my hand, even if I just want to change his water. He’s never any color but a beautiful pastel green when I have him out. He loves to sit on my shoulder. He has never bitten or even attempted to. I believe he enjoys my company and tolerates if not likes to be handled. I feel that if your chameleon doesn’t warm up to you after a couple more months of talking to him and hand feeding he may just not be that kind of chameleon. Pascal was friendly from day one. You can’t force them to be social.

11/01/14  11:10pm

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area