Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dyzired   Dyzired   Kinyonga   Ezsy  

Member  Message

Dyzired
View Profile

Veiled chameleon questions?

Okay so a few questions...

I believe my veiled chameleon is a female as I do not see any spurs on her back feet...and I was just reading up on providing a nesting area for her.
Now, how old does she have to be until she starts producing eggs? Like..when should I put a nesting area in there? and what are the best things to use for a nesting area??

And some other questions..I was just given a month and a half old veiled chameleon...as far as sexing goes...theres no way I’d be able to tell at this age, right? or will the spurs be there as soon as it’s born? Right now it looks female..but I’m not sure.

Thanks everyone!

09/01/11  11:38pm

Dyzired
View Profile

Message To: Dyzired   In reference to Message Id: 2235394

And one more question...how many crickets should I offer the baby cham a day? or should it be every other day? I dont want to offer him too many or too little....
Also, can a baby eat tiny mealworms as well???

Thanks!

09/01/11  11:40pm

Kinyonga
View Profile

Message To: Dyzired   In reference to Message Id: 2235395

You said..."how old does she have to be until she starts producing eggs? Like..when should I put a nesting area in there? and what are the best things to use for a nesting area??"...a veiled can start producing as young as 5 months...so I would have the container in by that age. She should get yellow/mustard/gold splotches of color when she reaches sexual maturity. I recommend using an opaque container at least 12" deep by 12" x 8" filled almost full of washed playsand. It should be kept moist enough to hold a tunnel.

You can feed it as much as it will eat in a couple of minutes for the first few months and then start to feed it every second day.

The spurs are there when they are born.

I believe my veiled chameleon is a female as I do not see any spurs on her back feet...and I was just reading up on providing a nesting area for her.
Now, how old does she have to be until she starts producing eggs? Like..when should I put a nesting area in there? and what are the best things to use for a nesting area??

And some other questions..I was just given a month and a half old veiled chameleon...as far as sexing goes...theres no way I’d be able to tell at this age, right? or will the spurs be there as soon as it’s born? Right now it looks female..but I’m not sur

09/02/11  04:24am

Ezsy
View Profile

Message To: Dyzired   In reference to Message Id: 2235394

Hey there, I have some answers for you! Feed babies as much as they will eat everyday, when they get 6 months old you can go every second day or monitor how much she eats. Babies are more active and growing quickly, she will stop when she’s full. My bigger female is 7 months old and still not laying but I have a container of organic soil in there just in case. A good size container with about 2 inch of organic soil on the bottom of the enclosure will do just fine, when she dose go to lay she will dig more than one hole then pick her favorite. I find it hard to see the spurs on their feet when they are small, you might have to wait and see. I don’t go by the size of the crest anymore because one of my females has a tall crest but she’s definitely a girl. I find they don’t look like a claw but rather a protruding pimple. Good luck

05/31/12  08:43am

Back to Chameleons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area