Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Loki77   Loki77   Loki77   Loki77   Cacoseraph   Loki77  
 Member  Message

Loki77
View Profile

Centipede mites

I have a Giant Yellow Legged African centipede. It has an infection of hundreds of tiny egg-like bumps between itís segments and edges. Does any one know what these tiny flesh colored egg-like bumps are?. Are they some kind of Mite? Is there a treatment?

01/24/06  03:03am

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 618951

Centipede mites

This is a photo (one of 3) of what the eggs/mites/scales look like.

Link

01/25/06  02:21am

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 620366

Centipede mites

second photo.
Link

01/25/06  02:26am

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 620367

Centipede mites

Third last photo. Iíd appreciate it if someone could tell me what these tiny flesh colored bumps are between itís segments. These bumps/eggs/scales do not move.
Link

01/25/06  02:29am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 620369

Centipede mites

jeez, iím sorry to see that man!

mites should move, at least a little bit while they are expanding and colonizing new parts of the centipede. all the mites i have ever seen moved to some degree

try looking at the cage in the middle of the night with a flashlight... you might see movement then, in which case it most likely is mites

something looks a little strange to me though, i canít quite put my finger on it... iíll try to think about it

one thing, i would move that guy to a different room if you have other bugs in your collection... mites and a number of other "infections" can spread from cage to cage and hurt/wipe out a collection in worst case scenarios

sorry i coulndnít be more helpful :(
i hope things work out

01/27/06  06:01pm

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 623764

Centipede mites

Thanks for the concern. I got a feedback on another forum from Orin McMonigle, he wrote the book "Giant Centipedes", he thinks itís a sessile form of grain mite. And Chris from a Invertabrates hop suggested I put Vaseline on it to smother the mites. I tried it today and hoping it will work. With the hundreds of Centipedes you have, Iím surprised you never experienced this. I hope your guys they never get this. Thanks!

01/29/06  11:15pm

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area