Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Stick insect   Cacoseraph  
 Member  Message

Stick insect
View Profile

Giant African millipede i have one but do not really jnow how do look after it

when to the pet shop & the shop keeper said you feed them apple & they live for 6 yrs
its about a foot its in a 2 gallon tank at the mo but i will be moving it to a 10 g in a week
can i pick him up
how much soil do you need at the bottom of the tank
how many times do you clearn out the tank
what does it mean if they in a ball
do you give them water in a bowl
why will he not eat apple
he not moved from being in the ball for like 4 hours
how much should a spary the tank with water
i put some moss from my pot in the tank i have seen a bug on him will it harm him
any help will be great

01/21/06  11:50am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Stick insect   In reference to Message Id: 614549

Giant African millipede i have one but do not really jnow how do look after it

>can i pick him up

yes, but if you have a nervous individual it might "ink" you. this is a defensive noxious secretion used to protect the milli from predators. it will discolor your skin and makes some ppl itch.

>how much soil do you need at the bottom of the tank
i have about 4-5" (10-13cm), this allows them to burrow if they want to. and some WILL burrow for long periods of time

>how many times do you clearn out the tank
not very often, but anytime there is mold or other "bad stuff" i clean it

>what does it mean if they in a ball
they are "afraid". balling up is another defensive measure they can take... they are presenting their armor to the world :)

>do you give them water in a bowl
absolutely, these are "moist" bugs... but they are also quite tough, so if the water runs out itís not a huge deal

>why will he not eat apple
donít know... each individual milli has different "tastes" and seem to prefer different stuff. try carrots and other random vegetables.
MAKE SURE to wash everything off as residual pesticides can be a big problem. i donít even feed my bugs the skins off stuff cuz iím too afraid of pesticides

>he not moved from being in the ball for like 4 hours
yup, sometimes they are kind of boring

>how much should a spary the tank with water
i donít spray, i just overfill the waterdish when i fill it. this provides all the water/moisture/humidity they need and is more convenient for me

>i put some moss from my pot in the tank i have seen a bug on him will it harm him

most AGBís (african giant blacks) come with helper mites that keep them clean. these are normal and good. these guys run around pretty fast and get "big" for mites.

"bad" mites are much smaller, white, and donít move around very much compared to the faster "good" mites

>any help will be great
hope this helps

01/23/06  01:54pm

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area