Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Tonya_Tau   Dragondreamer   Guit4rguy   Cacoseraph   Loki77  
 Member  Message

Tonya_Tau
View Profile

Mite removal methods, need help.

I just got a African Black Millipede from a Pet Store. It looks quite healthy, is about 7 1/2 inchs long, and active. But, when I looked at him in the pet store, I saw what looks like a spider. The pet store owner explained that its just a wood mite, that harmless, but, since ive been looking online, Ive seen that reddish mites are probably parasitic. I only saw one so far, and havent seen any others yet, but if I notice any more, Im wondering what a good method is.

Ive heard that using Q-tips with Vasoline works pretty good, but im more curious about how to handle it, Im afriad that if I get him to curl up, the mites might hide inside.... but, dont think getting them while he is crawling in his tank is such a good method either.

I dont know if I can get em good enough with him simply crawling on me. ( He doesnt like to sit still. )

Any suggestions would be appriciated. :)

12/30/05  11:22pm

Dragondreamer
View Profile

Message To: Tonya_Tau   In reference to Message Id: 588200

I know that this is kind of gross, but under the circumstances, it should work. Put vasoline all over your hands and make tunnels with your hands while you are holding him.Should work. Good luck.

01/02/06  06:53pm

Guit4rguy
View Profile

Message To: Dragondreamer   In reference to Message Id: 591037

bee keepers use formic acid to kill mites, would this be toxic to mill or cent ?

01/10/06  02:04am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Tonya_Tau   In reference to Message Id: 588200

those are most likely either neutral or beneficial mites
virtually ALL AGB have these small tannish colored mites. the mites you should be concerned about are much smaller and do not really move around all that much

01/10/06  01:22pm

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 600470

I have an African Millipede and when he gets too many mites, I just hold him under gentle luke warm water and rinse them off. It doesn’t harm the millipede and a lot of the mites just go down the drain.

01/29/06  11:19pm

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area