Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Loki77   Cacoseraph   Loki77   Cacoseraph   Loki77   Cacoseraph   Loki77   Loki77   Dirtborder   Cacoseraph  
 Member  Message

Loki77
View Profile

Centipede housing

I have a African Yellow Legged Centipede in a 5 gal tank with a bedding of damp peet moss. It nevers comes out from under the bedding and have to dig it out just so I can see it. Does anyone know a better way to set up the tank so the centipede is occcasionally visible?

11/14/05  03:00am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 542195

Centipede housing

i have great success with keeping all my giant centipedes in jugs or large jars. even if they burrow i generally still see part of them.

centipedes like to be pushed up against something solid... when you are using a jug it is morelikely that they push up against the sidewall or floor when they go to ground

iíve had centipedes make underground chambers that i could see into, when i keep them in jugs :)

11/14/05  12:47pm

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 542434

Centipede housing

I never thought of this. I love all your advice, you must have a lot f experience with centipedes. I see that you have a much deeper bedding in the jars. I take it you never SEE it eat, since crickets stay on top - I assume your centipedes eventually come to the surface to eat. My meal worms burrow down and I lose track of them, so I have no way of knowing if the centipede found them or not. Thanks very much!

11/15/05  01:58pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 543671

Centipede housing

generally, my centipedes surface when they are hungry so i get to see them eat a lot
but according to my data sheets and guesstimating, i have around 80-100 centipedes, so i can *usually* see somebody doing something :)

11/15/05  06:02pm

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 543948

Centipede housing

I only have one Yellow legged African centipede. It usually comes out from under his rock at night (dark), so I usually donít see it much. But it was out today when I came home and I was shocked to see hundreds of tiny egg-like bumps between itís segments. Does any one know what these tiny flesh colored bumps/eggs are? it scurried under the rock very quickly, so I am assuming he is not too sick. Are they some kind of Mites?

01/24/06  12:21am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 618847

Centipede housing

hmm, i have a picture that might help out somewhere... just a second

this website seems to resize my pic a little bit. to see full detail try saving it on your computer and looking at it there, or try clicking on this link:
Link

do you see what you are talking about there?
anything you see there is centipede body parts, so not to worry :)

i canít really picture what you mean for your description, sorry :(

also, i have i think 4 or 5 yellow legs, and they are one of the species i see the least of. i have two in jars that i see *parts* of, and one made a burrow enterance right by the side of the jar, so i can see when it is waiting to ambush something

for more info and more knowledgable people try:
Venomlist - Myriapod
or
Arachnoboards - Cent

01/24/06  10:44am

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 619109

Centipede housing

Thanks for the photo and reply, but unfortuneately, those black spots are not the infection I was trying to describe. I obviosuly did a bad job of describing. The tan colored tiny specks look more like some sort of scales or eggs..they might be mites or some parasite. There are hundreds of them. They do not move and they are between the segments and edges of the centipede. They are like tiny fish roe (if you ever seen them laid on kelp). Tiny round bumps in a pattern. I wish I knew how to post a photo like you did. I know how to send photos on email, but I canít figure how to do it on this site. I know a that you have a huge collection of centipedes and would know immediately if you could see a photo. Thank you Very much for your attention and help.

01/24/06  11:52am

Loki77
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 619109

Centipede housing

My son showed me how to post images. Attached are one of three photos. The close ups are attached to the subject titled "centipede mites" on this forum. Thanks for your help.
Link

01/25/06  02:32am

Dirtborder
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 620372

Centipede housing

Im not sure if youíve been answered yet,but those are DEFINITLY mites.

03/02/06  10:02pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Loki77   In reference to Message Id: 542195

Centipede housing

good grief donít get bit by it when you are stirring up the dirt!

it STIIIINKS!
my arm is still swollen 3 days later, as are some of my lymph nodes :)

03/03/06  04:57pm

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area