Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Dusty   Oink   Dusty   Jungle Mac   Leoteenbreeder   Tigerbug33   Anthony l dimambro   Anthony l dimambro   Cacoseraph   Cacoseraph   Guit4rguy   Ross grant   Cacoseraph   Cacoseraph   Warui   Scarletsnake   Cacoseraph   Centipedekilr   Pulp   Pulp  
 Member  Message

Dusty
View Profile

Ever get bit?

Just wondering if anyone’s ever gotten bit by a centipede. I’ve got a blue band Veitnamese. Very cool but creapy little "bug".

03/20/04  01:15pm

Oink
View Profile

Message To: Dusty   In reference to Message Id: 49303

Ever get bit?

have you ever been bit

03/27/04  11:11am

Dusty
View Profile

Message To: Oink   In reference to Message Id: 51953

Ever get bit?

Not yet... ...hopefully never.

03/30/04  04:09pm

Jungle Mac
View Profile

Message To: Dusty   In reference to Message Id: 53072

Ever get bit?

Me neither but I’ve been stung by a scorpion 6 times

04/19/04  06:36pm

Leoteenbreeder
View Profile

Message To: Jungle   In reference to Message Id: 62945

Ever get bit?

ive been close.i had one crawling on me it was 5 inches long and was gray and blue.Then i found out that that species can put you in the hospitle.now i try to keep them for some reason.

05/28/04  01:14pm

Tigerbug33
View Profile

Message To: Leoteenbreeder   In reference to Message Id: 79118

Ever get bit?

I’ve got a giant african millipede and I’ve been bit by it but it was more like a pinch, but it hurt pretty bad

02/09/05  11:22am

Anthony l dimambro
View Profile

Ever get bit?

What does your blue band eat? Can these bugs eat mice?

05/09/05  03:08pm

Anthony l dimambro
View Profile

Message To: Oink   In reference to Message Id: 51953

Ever get bit?

A friend of mine got bit by the HATIAN. Stung like hell and he couldnt bend his finger for a couple of days. If you ever get bit run the bite under hot water to break up the venom under the skin.

05/10/05  03:20pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Ever get bit?

i have been bitten (and evenomated) by Scolopendra polymorpha, North American Tiger centipede. the individual that tagged me was about ~3.5-4" long, not counting antenna or terminal legs. aside from the slight discomfort of the mechanical damage (i let it chew on me for ~4 minutes) the whole experience was with out pain.
pictures speak louder than:
ouch time

my hand swelled for 2 days after, was normal size for 3 more days, then re-swelled an additional 3 days, but has been completely normal since the final swelling.

i rather expect i will be envenomated by more species as time goes on... i like to handle/play with most of my centipedes

handling directory:
holding hands

10/24/05  07:53pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Anthony l dimambro   In reference to Message Id: 337198

Ever get bit?

my centipedes eat crickets, roaches, meal worms, wax worms, and i know for certain my largest S. polymorpha (North American tiger centipede) was fed primarily on pinkies at the petstore i bought her at :)

10/24/05  07:56pm

Guit4rguy
View Profile

Ever get bit?

A texas red head got me when i was a kid. My thumb swelled up and hurt like hell for 4 or 5 hours. the critter was maybe 6 or 7 inches long.

10/31/05  07:09am

Ross grant
View Profile

Message To: Guit4rguy   In reference to Message Id: 527179

Cacoseraph

you ever been bit by a vietnamese centipede or an east africa yellow legged centipede?

01/24/06  04:41pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Ross grant   In reference to Message Id: 619453

Cacoseraph

i donít plan on holding Vietnamese... that should be a S. subspinipes, one of the MOST painful centipede venoms out there

iíll try to play with my african yellow legs tonight, so maybe iíll be able to tell you something later ;)

01/27/06  05:58pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 623757

Bluering centipede bite

well, i held my "Tanzanian bluering centipede" and induced it to bite me... four or five times =P
each bite was MUCH less than a bee sting!

this is likely an Ethmostigmus trigonopodus, and could be the same genus/species as the "african yellowleg"

i should be able to check tonight hopefully

read a bite report here:
venomlist biteReport

02/13/06  03:06pm

Warui
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 648559

Bites

Iíve probably gotten bit sometime in my sleep... I sleep on my floor and my room is rather messy and we have lots of centipedes in our house, and every so often Iíll wake up with a welty bug bite on me... (I apologize for the run on sentence.) Other than that, my toad likes to bite me...

05/26/06  02:43am

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Message To: Tigerbug33   In reference to Message Id: 244019

Ever get bit?

Tigerbug33~

An African millipede bit you?! Yikes! We have three at my office and we take them out sometimes when we do wildlife presentations for kids & stuff. I only just got over being too creeped-out to hold them. I used to hold them when I was a kid but then I wasnít around them for many years until I met these current ones about 4yrs. ago. After not encountering millipedes for so long I discovered that they really gave me the willies!

I know they are calm and friendly and usually curl up when theyíre afraid, but something about aaaaaall those eeny weeny legs grossed me out! Anyway, I recently forced myself to handle one of them and felt much better after doing so.

But after reading that youíve been bitten I may re-think this!! I didnít even know they EVER bit! What exactly happened? I mean why do you think the millipede reacted like that? Was it hard to get him to let go??

08/03/06  02:11pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 920800

Ever get bit? (yes, hundreds of times now :) )

iíve been bitten a few times by African Giant black (A. gigas) millipedes. from what i have read there is conjecture that they are trying to get some salts or minerals or whatnot off of your skin. i let me AGB chew on me for about 10-15minutes and it eventually drew blood. it was quite amusing... like it forgot which side of the myriapod fence it was on or something.

oh, i finally did induce a "african yellowleg" to bite me... and it SUCKED! my arm swelled up to about as big as i have ever seen it, my lymph nodes swelled up in my armpit and neck, on the side i was bitten on... and the worst thing was what i call "boneache"... it felt like my radius and ulna were being ground together!

iíve also been bitten a number of times by a specimen of what is sold as "Egyptian Emerald centipede" which could possibly be Scolopendra morsitans. there was virtually no effect. no venom pain and just a slight tingly which could as easily be attributed to regeneration of the mechanical damage

iíve also come to the tentative conclusion that heat and thirst drive centipedes to be more "aggressive"... but i still need to like, gather more evidence :)

08/04/06  12:36pm

Centipedekilr
View Profile

Ever get bit?

yes by a house centipede. didnt hurt. but i got revenge on him. hes dead now

08/09/09  12:40pm

Pulp
View Profile

Ever get bit?

Hi Rusty,

I was bit on the top of my foot by something on my last day in Oahu! My foot was under a small newsstand as I was trying to read the headlines and papers were folded over wood fowling. I felt a stabbing pain and my foot instantly was swollen and the pain was terrible. I started icing it and took some Benedryl twice before flying back to Ca. I had asked a doctor there what to do. The next day I went to an Urgent Care Ctr and the didn’t know what type insect it was but probably not a spider as there was no necrosis. The doc put me on a strong antibiotic and a steroid which I have finished. It has beebread 21 days and my foot still swollen and painful and I am worried!

What can I do now as have no idea what bit me? My doc is on vacation and don’t know how serios this is. Almost feels like it should be lanced! Anyone on this that has a suggestion I would love to hear from them as I am very concerned!

Patti

08/21/11  04:25am

Pulp
View Profile

Ever get bit?

Hi Rusty,

I was bit on the top of my foot by something on my last day in Oahu! My foot was under a small newsstand as I was trying to read the headlines and papers were folded over wood fowling. I felt a stabbing pain and my foot instantly was swollen and the pain was terrible. I started icing it and took some Benedryl twice before flying back to Ca. I had asked a doctor there what to do. The next day I went to an Urgent Care Ctr and the didn’t know what type insect it was but probably not a spider as there was no necrosis. The doc put me on a strong antibiotic and a steroid which I have finished. It has beebread 21 days and my foot still swollen and painful and I am worried!

What can I do now as have no idea what bit me? My doc is on vacation and don’t know how serious this is. Almost feels like it should be lanced! Anyone on this that has a suggestion I would love to hear from them as I am very concerned!

Patti

08/21/11  04:33am

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area