Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Texas1   R3PT1LE   Fatbloke   Removed By System   Monitorkid   Captmatrix   Nomadinexile  

Member  Message

Texas1
View Profile

What the heck is this??

Can someone please tell me what this is and should I be afraid of it? I live in the Texas Hill Country and it just showed up in my theater room overnight. I Have never seen one before, It has a red head, black body and yellow legs. Also two scorpion-like pinchers on its end that are black with red tips.

08/23/05  10:34pm

R3PT1LE
View Profile

Message To: Texas1   In reference to Message Id: 453124

What the heck is this??

its probably a Chinese RedHead centipede.

08/25/05  02:46pm

Fatbloke
View Profile

What the heck is this??

texas1

does it look like the attached picture if so then its texas red headed centipede (scolopendra hero castencieps) if it is the same of the pic they are fast moving and can be very aggressive also they are venomous a bite from one is painfull and morphine doesnt take away the pain

09/04/05  09:58pm

Removed By System
View Profile

Centipedes-Millipedes

Removed By System

03/04/06  06:33pm

Monitorkid
View Profile

Message To: Beardy luver   In reference to Message Id: 677722

What the heck is this??

beardy.....you disrespect insects too much, and no man, it is NOT a scolopendra heros castinceps (chinese redhead) it is a Scolopendra heros (texas redhead centipede) very common in texas

04/22/06  10:34pm

Captmatrix
View Profile

Message To: Monitorkid   In reference to Message Id: 753542

What the heck is this??

you seem knowledgeable on insects

can you go to this forum thread and identify this bug , anyone please

http://repticzone.com/forums/Insects/messages/791880.html

and are they biters.

05/22/06  12:28am

Nomadinexile
View Profile

Message To: Monitorkid   In reference to Message Id: 753542

What the heck is this??

There are no S. heros in china. The above poster is correct that it is a S. heros "castencieps". Common names are pointless, except in this case where you call the above species Chinese therefor making the debunking easy. Op, this species does have a painful pinch that is venomous. It is not aggressive if let alone though and odds of you being pinched are very slim. I have friends who hold them even, but that is not a smart idea. If you are pinched, you are not in mortal danger. So take a deep breath, write down the name above, then head to hospital if you recieved venom. You will know from pain level. Give name of species to hospital where treatment should consist of painkillers and muscle relaxers. Doctors in your area should be familiar with the species and treatment. They are beautiful creatures but should be respected and not handled. They do not like to be and are not defenseless! Peace

12/15/12  10:57am

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area