Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dsmith   Keirax   Crotus   Nomadinexile  

Member  Message

Dsmith
View Profile

Help Identifying a Millipede?

Hi, I saw a millipede today with my daughter in our yard. We live in Virginia. It was the most unusual one I’ve ever seen. I didn’t have a chance to take a picture of it.. but I will describe it.. it was blackish- reddish, and it had yellow legs (looks much like the flat yellow legged millipedes that I saw on this site) I was completely amazed has to how the legs moved, it reminded me of waves..Also on the body it had a bright red outline, it almost looked like someone painted on it. Any ideas? I can’t really find anything online that exactly describes what I saw. I really want to know more about it, because I saw it in an area that we play in a lot..is it poisonous? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

05/08/10  08:28pm

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Dsmith   In reference to Message Id: 2146165

all millipedes are poisonous, they contain Cyanide in their skin, only harmful if you eat them or handle them then lick your hands. I cant remember the name of the species that you described but it is a millipede as long as your little one doesnt eat him they are harmless they do not bite what so ever. So as long as you wash up after messing with him/her and watch your child so she doesnt eat him nothing to worry about. sorry i couldnt remember the name wish you luck

06/19/10  10:46pm

Crotus
View Profile

Hey, did it look anything like this?

http://bugguide.net/node/view/5539

Red-sided flat millipede (Sigmoria aberrans), an unusual-looking native species

05/14/12  04:46pm

Nomadinexile
View Profile

No millipedes are dangerous to humans. They do excrete poisons from glands on their sides, but like said above, do not eat it. It will stain your hands but will wash off. Millipedes are a great bug to allow children to handle to increase their awareness and love of nature. They can be kept in well ventilated aquariums, but need specific mixture of substrate because that is what they eat. But, because of the poisons, they must have ventilated lid and not have too many per aquarium volume. If substrate, humidity and temperatures are kept correct, they will breed. The babies are cute, but you will end up with hundreds of them! Enjoy

12/15/12  11:05am

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area