Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Rebecca Wright   Cacoseraph   Rebecca Wright   Lycanlys   Cacoseraph  
 Member  Message

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Thinking about getting a centipede or milipede

I have a 55 gallon tank sitting in my room... doin nothing.... i was thinking about getting some bugs to put in it... so i wanted to know how many and of what i could put in it... can be something that breeds like crazy or something that doesnt... thanks!

03/15/07  11:33pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 1210729

Well, with a few special exceptions centipedes do not do well with more than one to a container. I think you could set up a very nice colony of millipedes in a large tank like that. i would look into the classic African Giant Black millipede, A. gigas

if you wanted to do giant centipedes (typically what is kept as pets) you would probably be limited to finding Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans. these probably have a fairy impressive bite though, so you might want to think about that. this species, when available, comes from farmed stock used in traditional chinese medicine and has basically been bred over hundreds of years to be communal. they look pretty sharp and are available in a couple color morphs (mainly differing in leg color)

03/21/07  11:05am

Rebecca Wright
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 1216671

ok thanks... ill probably look into the milipede... i dont really like the sound of owning a bug with an impressive bite :p sounds like an accident waiting to happen

03/21/07  05:45pm

Lycanlys
View Profile

Message To: Rebecca Wright   In reference to Message Id: 1217110

Where do you live I have 2 burmese milipedes I want rid of lol I dont like the mould that the fruit turns in to

05/22/07  10:00pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Lycanlys   In reference to Message Id: 1290692

just feed them smaller portions. you could also try keeping half their tank more dry and putting their food there.

06/06/07  12:59am

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area