Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Pogonavitticeps   Cacoseraph   Pogonavitticeps   Pogonavitticeps   Cacoseraph   Cacoseraph   Pogonavitticeps   Cacoseraph   Arthropodfanatic94   Rangus  
 Member  Message

Pogonavitticeps
View Profile

Im looking into getting a centipede.

ive had my tarantula and all and im getting interested into centipedes im aware of them being dangerous as ive owns scorpions before any good starters that happen to be tropical?

12/07/06  02:08am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Pogonavitticeps   In reference to Message Id: 1085961

dangerous is probably not a good word, imo.

i would certainly consider some sp. of scorps dangerous. Leirus, Androctonus, Parabuthus... all the heavy buthids can and do kill ppl every year.

but as far as cents go... i am only aware of two "documented" deaths. in one a 7 year old filipino girl was bit on the head by Scolopendra subspinipes and died ~12 hours later. in the other a man was bit by S. cingulata or S. morsitans and died of necrotizing fasciatus. in both cases there were too many factors that contraindicate the centipede was 100% at fault (like say, a bullet is 100% at fault when you die of a gunshot wound)

some species can certainly cause a tremendous amount of pain. some S. subspinipes subspecies and/or locality morphs are insanely painful to get bit by. some S. alternans and some S. heros seem to be hellbiters also.

but, no centipede is considered medically significant and all the prescribed care for centipede bites says treat symptomatically and the prognosis is 100% recovery. most things i have read donít even indicate prophylactic antibiotics!

in a sense most centipedes could be considered tropical, as they all need to have at least *some* moisture in their cage or they will dry and die pretty quickly. Probably the easiest true tropical to acquire is the vietnamese giant centipede, S. subspinipes. they also are one of the easiest to get centipedes that are very large. some come close to a foot long, not county legs or antenna! but they are the kings of the hellbiters, so you might want to take that into consideration

12/07/06  01:24pm

Pogonavitticeps
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 1086322

Yeah, i heard of the sdtory of the 7 year old girl i was considereing a vietnamese giant or a tanzanian red headed centipede or a scolopendra viridicornis. Those are what i have in mind

12/07/06  02:11pm

Pogonavitticeps
View Profile

Message To: Pogonavitticeps   In reference to Message Id: 1086355

I also forgot to add i was looking at the hong kong giant centipede, too.

12/07/06  02:22pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Pogonavitticeps   In reference to Message Id: 1086355

let me guess on what those common names mean, and comment a little on the species

vietnamese giant = S. subspinipes of some sort. this would be the cheapest big guy, burly venom though

tanzanian redhead might be S. morsitans. iíve been bitten around 10-30 times by these and it has never done anything to me. granted most of the bites where by egyptian morsitans... and this might not be morsitans at all... but if it is black and white striped with a red head... maybe-probably morsitans. this should be fairly inexpensive. they donít get very large at all though, 10-12cm

S. viridicornis is one of the most awesome centipedes i have seen. they are very rare, unavailable in the U.S. (where i am) and expensive where you can get them. they get big, but i think the biggest subspinipes are actually bigger. these guys actually have a lower (i.e. stronger) LD50 than S. subspinipes so there is a good chance they are king hellbiters. this is what i would choose personally, if i could get one and afford it =P

pogonavitticeps
Post By: Im looking into getting a centipede. on 12/07/06 at 02:11PM
Yeah, i heard of the sdtory of the 7 year old girl i was considereing a vietnamese giant or a tanzanian red headed centipede or a scolopendra viridicornis. Those are what i have in mind

12/08/06  05:03pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Pogonavitticeps   In reference to Message Id: 1086369

Hong Kong giants are another type of S. subspinipes. i believe they have fairly solid uniform coloration, but i could easily be mistaken. they should get pretty big... past 20cm bodylength, i am pretty sure... maybe even 25 cm or longer. i donít quite rmember

12/08/06  05:05pm

Pogonavitticeps
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 1087794

Could you tell me a little about bite prevention for the hong kong giant/ viridicornis

12/08/06  10:53pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Pogonavitticeps   In reference to Message Id: 1088243

well. in some respects they are easier than tarantulas to contain, as they canít glass/wall walk. however, they are SUPER quick, and specifically can whip their heads around unbelievably fast.

very small specimens can use mineral deposits and dirt/poop deposits on their container walls to make pretty amazing climbs and all sizes can climb up a surprisingly small bead of aquarium sealer. kritter keeper type cages generally make a bad choice as the slats and accessory holes provide too good of an opportunity for escape for some specimens to resist.

another thing to watch for is the right(wrong) size centipede can scale up a pair of forceps/hemostats/tweezers very quickly, so sometimes you have to abandon your tools in the cage until it is safe to retrieve them. when dropping tools make sure they wonít become hitched on the side and provide an easy escape route for the centipede. not that i ever did that. *ahem*

never reach into the container with your hand, never lift anything out of the cage without making sure the centipede is hanging on. make sure the top of the cage is at least 1.5 centipede lengths away from the top of the substrate.

thatís really about all the big stuff i can think of. use some common sense and you should be ok.

12/09/06  03:21pm

Arthropodfanatic94
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 1088768

Im ready too get a hong kong giant centipede i am looking for a captive bred baby preferebly
1-2 inches this pogona something came up with my account
also if you theres any tips i should know that will be great

have a good one

12/11/06  09:25pm

Rangus
View Profile

Message To: Arthropodfanatic94   In reference to Message Id: 1091613

I enjoy the centipede "personality". all the wild ones Iíve gotten close to just charge at me with head up as if to say "I am so freaking deadly that I want you dead just to show off!. Yikes. Very aggressive. Del Rio.......No dice. Camping may be cut short.

12/17/06  07:52am

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area