Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Centipedes-Millipedes Forum

Suspect187   Cacoseraph   Suspect187   Cacoseraph  
 Member  Message

Suspect187
View Profile

Help selecting a centipede

Hi,

I have been keeping an emperor scorpion for a couple of months now and decided I want to add to the collection. I find centipedes very interesting so I was wondering, what type of centipedes require low levels of humidity? As in less that 80% or 70%. Reading through this forum, I noticed that many people have problems with mites due to the moist environment some centipedes require. This is why I would like a desert or whatever centipede requires low humidity. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Pics as well if you could. Thank you.

11/17/06  04:04am

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Suspect187   In reference to Message Id: 1063670

well, even desert centipedes live in fairly moist microhabitats so there really isnít a dry centipede, exactly.

but, if you are in the united states a great starter centiepde would be Scolopendra polymorpha. They are perfectly fine with a waterdish only, but i tend to keep mine on slightly moist substrate as i feel it is less stressful than constanly losing and replenishing water in a completely dry container.

Also, "bluering" or "blueleg" centipedes make good starters. They are sold as Scolopendra sp. or S. morsitans but are a completely different genus, Ethmostigmus. They are among the most docile centipedes i have found yet and get to a decent size (5-6" bodylength and both males and females can get pretty chunky).

11/17/06  04:44pm

Suspect187
View Profile

Message To: Cacoseraph   In reference to Message Id: 1064093

Do you have a picture of a Scolopendra polymorpha? Also, what temperature levels are required to keep this pede happy? Iím in Canada and I have no clue where to get pedes as I have not see any sold in stores. I guess I could ask the pet store that I got my emp scorp from to possible order one. Any additional info would be great. Thanks.

11/17/06  07:15pm

Cacoseraph
View Profile

Message To: Suspect187   In reference to Message Id: 1064256

polymorpha literally means many shapes... but what the name was meant to capture is the fact that this species comes in a wide variety of color. i have caught, in one location, yellow, red, greenish, and blueish individuals

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/cacoseraph/centipede/freak/
^ pictures of an S. polymorpha i caught that has three feet one one leg. he had two when i caught him, then he shed and gained another. i am eagerly awaiting his next shed. that is a yellow polyLink

11/19/06  01:17am

Back to Centipedes-Millipedes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area