Cats Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli  

Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Puff Going to Vet

My favorite cat, Puffy, is going to the vet tomorrow. She has been chewing her leg fur off. Her lower legs have been reduced to undercoat stubble, and her front upper arms are suffering a similar fate. All this from excessive licking/gnawing.

I’ve already gone through steps to ease her a little. I got some Dermasol skin cream and aloe skin wipes. She deals with a wipes much easier than the cream. If anyone can give suggestions of how I can rub the cream on her without getting my face ripped out (which is quite a feat for a cat with no claws), it would be greatly appreciated.

I’ve also got this comfort-zone spray that I’ve laced the house with in case this might be stress-related.

Am I missing anything? Any idea what this could be? My other three cats are unaffected, so I think it’s a remote reaction to something, but I’d like to be sure, ya know?

08/19/12  11:03am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2277265

Puff Going to Vet

Puff went to the vet last Monday. Vet said it was likely stress the way the chewing presented itself, and allergies would be a close second. She also found that Puff has an ear infection. Puff was given a Cortisone shot to relieve itching and I have to give her the ear drops twice a day for three weeks until she’s better. Then she goes back to the vet for a check up.

She improved immediately. Has been less bitey and angry as a whole, pretty much stopped chewing on herself, and she’s back to a pretty good normalcy. She even accepts the drops as a whole without getting too pissed off.

08/24/12  02:46pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2277750

Puff Going to Vet

Wanted to do another update, months later.

She had a weird relapse after I stopped giving her the ear meds, that went on and off until winter arrived. I believe that while the ear infection contributed, her chewing had to center around stress. Another cat, Mueshi, had to be put down last fall due to kidney failure and Puff’s symptoms started during Mueshi’s decline. So it’s likely she was stressed and grieving pretty heavy over it.

Now all her fur grew back. =D She’s a bit clingy and seems to get depressed when I don’t let her sit on my lap (which is when she wants to, not when I want her to), but that’s the extent of her only troubles right now.

01/29/13  02:35pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area