Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

TheDuckLives   KrazyKelli   MuddyIguana  

Member  Message

TheDuckLives
View Profile

Sad Kitten - Help and advice needed

Hello all,

I haven’t posted on Repticzone for a while, and never in this forum. However, I need a bit of help.

I am the new owner of a kitten that has some deformities from birth.

Her front paws are not fully formed and lack any claws at all. This is the best of her deformities.

On the other end, she is lacking her back feet. She has her upper thigh (Femur?) and then the next bone(s) that would be the same as our Tibia and Fibia. And that is all.

She is about 4 weeks old and was brought into the animal clinic my wife works at. They were going to put her down, but we decided (even though we already have 7 cats) to take her in and give her a chance.

What I need is information and or resources to use to figure out how to help her. She does try to walk and get around, but has obvious traction problems. The BIGGEST hurdle I see is getting her litter box trained.

We have named her Grace.

Any help information wise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

06/18/12  09:05am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: TheDuckLives   In reference to Message Id: 2270399

There are carts out there specifically designed for these types of issues. For, yes, cats as well. K9 Carts West is one such company (Ironically, I recently got a cart for my dog there and it’s wonderful). Here’s a link: Link There are four-wheeled carts for animals with all limbs bad/weak as well. If you think the cat is spry enough to get around without the cart, at least consider it for when the cat gets on in age and has more trouble about it.

Link - you tube video on how the carts generally work.

Next, you’ll want to sock the feet and - in a worse-case scenario - possibly find a vet who can install stubs on the ends of the legs. This will prevent some more serious pressure-sores from forming if callouses don’t form more quickly. It’s common for cats and dogs with mal-formed feet to break open and bleed freaking everywhere if proper protection isn’t considered.

As for the litterbox, start out with something that has little to no sides. A baking pan or cookie sheet are great for this (long as you don’t mind the mess and... Never use the thing for anything besides cat litter). In the box, have the softest, finest litter you can get. This can be a high-brand of scoopable clay litter, sand, or - if you have trouble with either of those - non-fertilized potting soil. I know this is hard with 7 other cats, but in the beginning try to keep the malformed cat to a singular room so it can establish its own box and smells. It doesn’t have to be in there all the time, but you can’t have the other cats pissing in the box and marking territory. If you’re still having issues, then once in the morning and once at night, lock the cat in the room with the box or put the cat directly in the box and it should eventually figure out that it’s supposed to go.

06/18/12  11:06pm

MuddyIguana
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2270481

I know I posted late but, the litter box is either because they cannot get in, or they are more focused on other things. Mine was rescued from the wild at five weeks, and she got trained within 2 hours of giving her the litter box.

04/29/14  06:31pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area