Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Cats Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kotaw12   KrazyKelli   Kotaw12   Rae rae   Kotaw12   Kotaw12   Rae rae   Kotaw12   Rae rae   Kotaw12   Rae rae   Kotaw12   Rae rae   Kotaw12  

Member  Message

Kotaw12
View Profile

HELP!!

Hello, i have a simese female cat, and she is pregnant. I THINK she has leukemia but i am not 100% postitive.. if i post pics will anyone be able to tell me if she does? I know she is pregnant because her belly is big and another reason(; If she has lukemia will she still have the babies? will the kittens have lukemia? Please help me!! i am only 14 and i dont want her to die! Please dont tell me i should have gotten her spayed before she got pregnant! I know she needs to be spayed, my mom just hasnt had the time/money, but we will get her sayed after she has the kittens!

04/25/12  02:10am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2264152

HELP!!

The vet will do a blood test to tell if a cat has leukemia or not. If you think she is preggers, the vet can do x-rays and confirm it. You can’t tell by photos.

Kittens can get FelV from their mother.

Whether or not the cat is pregnant, have your parents do the responsible thing in the future and get her fixed. Also keep her as an indoor cat so she doesn’t go making other people’s cats sick with the disease. It’s a very rotten way to go and it’s rather terrible to let it spread to the outside population.

04/26/12  02:10am

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2264277

HELP!!

Thank you and she is an indoor only cat, i dont let her out.

04/26/12  05:15pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2264352

HELP!!

When did she become an indoor cat? Just asking because I’m wondering how she got pregnant.

Anyway, that’s beside the point. I’m wondering what makes you think she has FeLV? Is she sick? And krazykelli is right, there’s no way to tell without a blood test. And the kittens most likely will contract it from her if she has it. The virus is passed through their saliva, and mama will definitely lick her kittens. I saw a cat once that was tested while she was pregnant. She was positive. She didn’t make it to the end of her pregnancy sadly.

I just euthanized a 1 year old cat a couple of days ago...and she actually got it from her mother. The owner came in and said that the cat was sick, gums were sheet white, and she was coughing. She also told me that the cat had never been outside. Was born in the house. It left only a couple of times to go to the vet. I still suggested a test, which was positive.

Sometimes I found out that even going to the vet FeLV can be missed. This lady told me that she had 3 other cats over the past couple of years that have all been euthanized as well. When she brought them to the vet (different clinic) they did a blood panel on them, not a FeLV test, and showed they were in kidney failure. All of them were from the ages of 1-3 years. That is very young for kidney failure. So that’s why I suggested a test. Turns out I’m pretty sure that all of her cats died of FeLV and she just never had the right testing done.

Well let us know what happens. If she has kittens...they all need to be tested before adopting. FeLV is pretty serious, contagious, and deadly. Good luck.

04/28/12  05:01pm

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2264625

HELP!!

We got her back in decemeber. When we got her, she was an outside cat, but since we brought her home she has been inside the whole time. I have 5 cats- 1 highland lynx (outside), 2 munchkins (1 male, 1 female), her, and a tabby kitten. The Male munchkin is the one who got her pregnant. I know your probably think why havent you had the spayed/neutared.. Well we have been in a tough situation and almost lost our house because of my mommas brother. But we are out of the situation, and will get them fixed in a couple of weeks. My mom done some research the other day and she thinks it might be a parasitic infection because her lips are swolen and red. We are taking her to the vet tuesday, I will let yall know what they say, and will also let yall know how the babies are when she has them!!(:

04/30/12  01:30am

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2264815

HELP!!

We think she has lukemia because shes had diaria for a while now and after i gave her the 3 in 1 vaccine a couple of weeks ago she threw up for about 3 days.

04/30/12  01:37am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2264816

HELP!!

I’m sorry, that doesn’t make sense to me. The feed stores here do not sell cat vaccines. We (the vet clinic) do not vaccinate for FeLV until the cat has been tested. I didn’t know that one could buy cat vaccines themselves. I do know that if a puppy has parvo, and you give it a parvo vaccine...you’ve pretty much given that dog a death sentence. Not sure if it’s the same for cats though.

I am not judging on the spaying part...as when I was a kid we did not have our dog spayed and she had a litter of puppies with the neighbor’s dog. We did have her spayed after that. I am concerned on the whole diarrhea part though. Yes, FeLV can come as many many different symptoms...as it is just pretty much kills the immune system. However, nothing you have mentioned makes me scream that the cat has the virus. Generally when a cat starts to show bad symptoms of the virus...it’s too late. At least that’s what I’ve seen in the vet field.

Either way, I hope the best for your cat. I hope this is a lesson learned. They should be spayed/neutered...AND vaccinated. Even if she’s an inside cat. My cat, even though she was inside only, contracted chlamydia. She was hospitalized for it. That is one of the things they vaccinate for. I learned a hard lesson that time as well.

We all live and learn. I do realize that you’re a kid...and your parents are responsible for this cat. Hopefully, they will learn the lesson as well. I know no matter what people on here tell you, that you can’t do too much when you’re just a kid. So good luck to you and your cat. Hope all ends up well.

AND GET HER TESTED ASAP!!!! Even if she’s not sick anymore!!!

04/30/12  02:20am

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2264819

HELP!!

You can get the hearts 3 in 1 vaccine drops at any tractor supply, co-op, or any place that sells livestock stuff. We are going to take her to the vet tommorrow to get her checked out, and get all of her shots.

04/30/12  02:08pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2264842

HELP!!

Okay!!! So this will be the FOURTH time I’ve tried to write this message!!!! Computer error I guess!!! Well anyway, I’m glad you’re taking her to the vet. I’m not sure on cat vaccs, because the feed stores here don’t sell anything for cats...just dogs.

I do know that at LEAST 85% of parvo puppies were self vaccinated from the feed stores. I know it’s not because of the brand...because they sell the same brand as we do. I think it’s how the vaccines are kept. Yes I have had people say that the feed store gets them out of the frige...but how long did they sit in the box on the floor before they were put in the frige?

I personally know that on a couple of occasions that I have received vaccines not refrigerated properly, and I sent them back to the company. You cannot tell me that a feed store would’ve sent the vaccines back. No, they will just take them out of the box and place them in the frige and sell them like nothing has ever happened. And nobody will ever know.

I know people have this "I can do it myself" mentality when it comes to their pets. However, vets go to school for a reason. My vet I work for has one of the best hearts for animals I’ve ever seen. She will tell someone the truth...even if it means losing that person as a client. Because sometimes people don’t want the truth...they want what’s cheapest for their wallets. One reality that people need to realize...is pets can be expensive.

I have clients ALL the time tell me..."Pets are expensive." My response to them is..."No, pets are only expensive when you’re taking care of them properly."

Don’t have a pet if you’re not willing to spend money on their care. And I hope your cat ends up doing well. Get her tested...and I hope if she’s negative...you can find homes for the kittens. Cats are a dime a dozen. Cats are the MOST abused animal on the face of this earth because of their overpopulation. From what I’ve experienced, people NEVER care about their cats. I mean I can have a client that spends thousands on their dogs...and in the meantime I never know they even own a cat. People never bring their cats to the vet for routine care...it’s only when they need to be euthanized.

So don’t be one of those stereotypes that only cares for your cat when it’s on death row. Take preventitive measures for your cat, get it spayed, vaccinate it, and have it on heartworm/flea prevention. And a plus would be to have it on a proper diet as well. The difference between a cheap cat food, and a quality one is the same thing as feeding a child nothing but vienna sausages everyday versus a quality diet everyday. Don’t be a stereotype...be the one that properly cares for their cat!

Let us know how she is. Good luck.

05/01/12  01:38am

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2264918

HELP!!

We took her to the vet earlier. He said she does not have leukemia!!! YAY(: but she her test came up positive for FIV, but he said she might not have it, bcause we just gave her a vaccine 2 wks ago so it is gunna show up positive even if she dont have it. He also said she only has about 1 month till she has the babies.. IM SO EXCITED!!(:

05/01/12  11:30pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2265019

HELP!!

I’m glad you took her to the vet. And I’m glad she’s negative for FeLV....just keep your fingers crossed on the FIV! And I hope everything turns out well for her and the kittens. Make sure she’s on a good quality kitten food. It may be hard finding homes because they’re so overpopulated. So...GOOD LUCK!! Let us know when she has them!

05/02/12  02:11pm

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2265062

HELP!!

here are some pics of her.

Here is a pic of the munchkin who got her pregnant.. AKA her baby daddy!(:

Here is the other munchkin i have

05/09/12  12:43am

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kotaw12   In reference to Message Id: 2265747

HELP!!

It is time to get all of your cats tested. She had to get it from somewhere right? And there is also the potential for her giving her kittens FIV as well. So better safe than sorry. Make sure you tell whoever is adopting the kittens that their mother is positive. That would be the responsible thing to do. Actually to be COMPLETELY responsible...all of the kittens need to be tested and vaccinated before adoption. Cats are VERY VERY overpopulated and they are the most abused/neglected animals by humans on this earth. I can’t tell you how many cats I have seen suffer at the hands of an irresponsible owner. It really makes me sick. People all the time tell me..."I don’t have the money to vaccinate my cat." Or, "I don’t have the money to test him/her." Or, "I don’t have the money to have them spayed/neutered." I’m sorry to sound so mean...but if you don’t have the money to do proper routine care for your cat, then you don’t have the money to own the cat.

I’m only saying these things in hopes that it may push you to do the right thing with these kittens and your other cats. Cats get some very terrible diseases...and most of them can be prevented with simple vet checks and vaccines. They should all be on a flea/heartworm prevention as well.

I have people tell me all the time..."Well you can easily say that because you get a discount because you’re a vet tech." WRONG!! WAY before I was a vet tech, my cat and dogs were always vet checked, cared for, and vaccinated. They have always been on flea and heartworm prevention...the ones recommended by the vet. Never on those online pharmacies (which I’ve heard horror stories about now that I’m in the field), but always took the doctor’s advice. I always believe in proper care for your animal. I have all kinds of animals...and even down to my fish...they get the proper care they need.

I really wish the best for your cats and kittens. I’m proud you did take mama to the vet and now you know her status...as being FIV positive. With that information...don’t try to sell/give away these kittens without that knowledge to the adopter. That would be irresponsible. Be one of the cat owners that does the right thing with their cats.

And by the way...VERY PRETTY CATS!

05/09/12  01:46am

Kotaw12
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2265752

HELP!!

We are going to get all of them tested, and we are going to get the kittens tested before we adopt them. The vet said that she might not have FIV because we gave her a vaccine a couple of weeks ago, and that will make the test come up positive, even if she is negative. He also said that you can not get the kittens tested after about 12 weeks. we are planning on keeping them and gettin them tested, and go from there. After she has the babies, we are going to take all 5 of our cats, and our to dog to get them spayed/neutered. We will also get the kittens spayed/ neutered before we adopt them out. Thank you!(: I would have posetd pics of our highland lynx and our other cat, but they wouldnt be still(:

05/09/12  02:25pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area