Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Cats Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Lani123   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Lani123   Lani123  

Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Morris needs to be worn out.

I have an energetic six-year-old orange cat named Morris. 16 lbs and it’s all lean muscle. Healthy as a bull.

He’s gotten this idea in his head that he has to be territorial towards another cat I own of similar age and weight, Sophie. Sophie is a gentle fat cat. So he picks on her, blocks the top of the stairway, and sometimes rushes her for no reason. The other cats ignore him when he does this, or slap him, but Sophie pins herself down and screams for help. They both more or less share the rest of the house in peace.

So anyway, I talked with others on the issue and was told that I need to wear Morris out. You know, rile him up, play with him for a part of the day, and he’ll drop dead the rest of the time. He’s bored and full of energy that needs to be let out.

This does work to an extent.

Problem is that the one peacock feather toy isn’t keeping him fully entertained (and is more or less broken now). He’s got absolutely no interest in the toy mice or little balls, and the catnip is a no-go.

I’m guessing Morris is a ’chase the prey’ type cat. If I rile him up and throw something random, he’ll jump at it and latch on... But then forgets why he’s there when it no longer moves and goes back to doing his own thing.

Do you guys know of any good toys on the market that would pander to a cat that relys on fast movement to be entertained?

03/23/12  06:52pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259870

Here’s a picture or two of him:

03/23/12  06:56pm

Lani123
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259872

Nice lookin cat!

Is it true that only male cats can be tabby, and only female can be calico? We have 2 female calico/tortoise shells. There a joy.

03/23/12  09:32pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lani123   In reference to Message Id: 2259903

Both genders can be tabby cats. Usually only females can be calicos. Calico is a genetic mutation during the stage of a fetus and not a ’breed’. Once in a far blue moon there’s a male calico, but they always end up sterile.

Now most of the time orange tabbies are male, however females are out there (usually in twins of a litter. Ie, if there’s a female, there should be an orange male brother somewhere in there.) I once had a beautiful female orange tabby named Missy whom was born from a small brown tabby cat named DeeDee (DD had two kittens, both orange. The male, also coincidentally named Morris, was given away). Missy had two litters of kittens of her own, all random tabby colors. This was in the 1970’s/80’s, btw. Long time ago. DeeDee lived to be 19, Missy lived to be 21. One of Missy’s offspring, a brown male tabby named Caesar, also lived to be 21.

Kinda taking the thread off topic with that. ``

03/23/12  10:46pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259910

I dropped by Petsmart and got a ’stick with string dangling attachable toy’ pack. Was the girly pink, green, and yellow ’spring’ type, so it was on sale for a few dollars off and it comes with three attachments of randomly dangliness. Sophie, the pudgy cat, absolutely loved it when I brought the package home. But Morris just watched her angrily as she played. So I closed Morris in a room with the toy and, while he was at first very confused, he then started doing this head-bobing loping run at the toy like a gangly cheetah. Now he’s amped up. This is fun.

I hope to try the other attachments to see if he likes one more than the others.

03/24/12  03:01pm

Lani123
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259989

Sorta did go off topic, lol. Thanks for the answer though. Interesting.

I’m actually really glad to hear kitty’s can live so long, because my cat Happi is 11 years old and we where starting to worry. She had something going on about a year ago. I walked into the room and she was screaming. We tried to handle her to pick her up and put her in a cat carry box. When we touched her belly she would hiss and attack us while screaming. It was a weird mix of un-happy kitty noises. We rushed her to the vet, we thought it could be spinal problems. They did an x-ray and found nothing. She had an overnight stay. They found nothing and where stumped as much as we where. When she came home she was fine and has been ever since. ?

I’m glad you got Morris to play :) My cat Tiger, she LOVES to swing her little paw at the pull strings of my hoodies. She’ll sit on the headrest of the couch and wait for someone to bat at. Like the queen of the sofa!

:D

03/31/12  02:16am

Lani123
View Profile

Message To: Lani123   In reference to Message Id: 2260795

My cats seem to like the feather/string toys. Like this.

04/11/12  12:16am

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area