Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Cats Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

HelpRingo   KrazyKelli   VT2012   KrazyKelli   VT2012   KrazyKelli   VT2012   Rae rae  

Member  Message

HelpRingo
View Profile

Peeing in bathtub

my cat is peeing in the bathtub again, and this seems to be kind of a common thing for him. if ever he eats something hes not supposed to, he pees in the tub while hes digesting it and pooping it out because im sure its uncomfortable for him.

but this time im pretty sure he didnt eat anything weird. ive kept everything well hidden ever since i noticed he has a very bad habit of eating everything around.

i am however moving and started packing yesterday. could all the changes to my apartment stressed him out and made him pee in the tub? i hate when he does thisss.

03/16/12  08:00pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: HelpRingo   In reference to Message Id: 2259091

Peeing in bathtub

Males mediate (piss where they’re not supposed to) for multiple reasons. Do you have other cats? Are there other cats in the neighborhood that could be pissing near your apartment room? (provided it’s ground-floor). Is he abnormally stressed out?

The biggest question is, have you completely bleached over the tub? Cat piss has some strong enzymes that cling to things with a grudge. Cats will smell these and reply thusly. Sometimes it takes more than one cleaning to remove these odors to the point that cats cant’ even smell them. Using a blacklight will show you how much musk is around, as it glows under such bulbs.

Course, you’re moving and everything, so it’s probably just the cat getting pissed off over that. Cats absolutely hate change and when their territory is moved around or disturbed, they will get uneasy and do what they can to reclaim it, even if it involves throwing their scent everywhere.

If, when you move, he keeps doing it in your new location, also see a vet. Crystals in the bladder, which can happen due to diet, can hurt and effect how/where a male cat urinates.

If the vet finds nothing wrong (and he still pisses in your new living space), also consider getting some cat stress-reliever spray. It is slightly pricey, but basically amounts to pheromones that a mother cat gives out to calm kittens. And it works pretty well.

03/17/12  07:25pm

VT2012
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259160

Peeing in bathtub

Is it really appropriate to call it "cat piss"? There are sometimes underlying health problems that cause cats to urinate in places other then their litter box. Cats tend to associate painful urination with their litter box, therefore they go elsewhere to urinate. The best thing to do is take your cat to the vet and have a urine analysis performed to rule out a UTI. There are also some behavioral problems that will cause your cat to urinate in places other then their litter box. Cats are very sensitive to change in the home. Sometimes pregnancy of an owner, moving furniture, new items, a change in diet, etc. can trigger this behavior. You can discuss this behavior with your veterinarian, and the can prescribe an anti depressant on such as Amitriptyline to help with the stress. When ever you notice your cat doing this there is always an underlying issue, whether it be medical or psychological it is always best to consult with your cats veterinarian.

03/23/12  12:06pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: VT2012   In reference to Message Id: 2259804

Peeing in bathtub

Very appropriate.

But yes, I would like to hear an update on the cat in the future. If you see the vet, what said vet says, etc.

03/23/12  06:39pm

VT2012
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259868

Peeing in bathtub

What said vet says...

03/23/12  07:15pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: VT2012   In reference to Message Id: 2259874

Peeing in bathtub

Yup. ’Said vet’ being the vet in question, ’says’ being what they said, and ’What’ initiating that particular part of the sentence. I’m getting a kick out of you. You’re making me smile.

Seriously though, if something’s up with the internals of the cat - crystals, UTI, whathaveyou - that’s really gotta suck. I’m hoping for Ringo’s owner that it’s just a territorial mood problem.

The way HelpRingo is describing it, it sounds like the whole moving experience is jarring her felinious compadre.

Speaking of which, I hope that move is going along well.

03/23/12  08:00pm

VT2012
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2259890

Peeing in bathtub

Territorial would come into play if there were another cat in the picture, but the issue as I understand is coming from the change in the cats environment, which in turn would be more of an anxiety behavior then territorial. In an technicality, as I spoke of in my initial response, cats are sensitive to any change in their environment. A friend of mine has a female Persian that started peeing in the corner of her daughters room when she became pregnant, and yes cats can smell the change in a humans hormones and become anxious of the change. It’s not a mere male cat problem. It is an all feline species problem. Cats do not just become territorial out of no where, especially when there aren’t any new cats that have come into the picture. I have two male cats in my home at the moment and neither urinates out of the litter box for any reason that relates to territory. In fact, Sammy, the Siamese my grandparents rehomed to me just recently started urinating in front of the litter box, because I was taught in small animal 2 that cats urinating outside the litter box can be either medical or behavioral, Sammy made a trip to the vet where he had a cystocentesis performed and urine analysis, come to find out he had a UTI. My vet prescribed Cephalexin (a broad spectrum antibiotic) and Amitriptyline (an anti-depressant). The best thing to do is take the cat to the veterinarian so that any medical problems can be ruled out before assuming it is behavioral, or territorial as you say.

P.S. I wasn’t trying to make you smile, I was commenting on your abnormal choice of words. If I ever went to the veterinarian I work under and said, "A client’s cat is pissing in the tub, therefore it must must be territorial." I’m afraid the vet would no longer be needing me as an employee, not only for my poor choice of terminology, but for my lack of medical professionalism. When you are giving someone advise, you should maybe try to be as professional as one can be.

03/23/12  09:59pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: VT2012   In reference to Message Id: 2259909

Peeing in bathtub

Wow this place has become such a soap opera! Instead of giving advice, let’s pick someone else’s words apart, yes that sounds like a mature thing to do.

In my vet clinic I work in, even the vet uses that "abnormal choice of words." But, we are a pretty laid back, sarcastic, and humorous vet clinic...unlike most others. That’s why our clients love coming to see us...you don’t get a cold, sterile, uptight, fake nice feeling when you walk in the door.

Anyway...how is the cat doing now? Just wondering if it did ever go to the vet? No need to tell you what all it could be...because nothing is for sure unless you visit the doc.

04/28/12  05:12pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area