Cats Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Log-In   Log-Out   Members Area  

Kracker   Rae rae   KrazyKelli   Rae rae   Removed By System  

Member  Message

Kracker
View Profile

Hair falling out

I have a quick question. I have a 1 1/2 year old female Tortie cat that has recently started loosing her hair. She has gone completely balded around her butt area, some on her stomach and a few bald spots on each of her sides. She doesn’t have fleas and she is indoors only. Any idea what could be causing it?

02/18/12  09:44PM

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Kracker   In reference to Message Id: 2255909

Hair falling out

Well has she been itching/scratching? Could be allergies. Could be a thyroid problem. Has she been felv tested? I saw one cat presenting this problem and it was a severe case of ringworm...but the cat was felv positive. Also saw one other cat presenting same thing but itching pretty badly, he had sarcoptic mange...but was also felv positive. And actually saw my friend’s cat as well was chewing at the hair and pulling it out...was flea allergies. Sometimes you don’t have to see fleas for the cat to get bit every now and then. And even if she’s on a prevention...the flea still has to bite before it dies. Therefore she can still have an allergic reaction. Generally speaking, they are allergic to the proteins in the flea saliva. After a flea bites, it’s a systemic allergic reaction...and that’s why it doesn’t matter if they’re bit on the top of the head...the itching zone is usually around the rump. I guess really there could be endless explanations, best to do a vet visit.

02/23/12  12:32AM

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2256520

Hair falling out

Outside of all the stuff RaeRae brought up, sometimes it just comes down to the cat being stressed over something. I’ve seen that happen as well, where a dog, another cat, or something new in the environment just upsets the cat and they’ll start over-grooming to the point of getting random bald patches.

And then it could be allergies. Some cleaner or something in the area is causing the cat to flare up and pop off fur.

So yeah, it could be many things. And it’s best to see a vet over it than waiting around.

02/24/12  09:46PM

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2256778

Hair falling out

Very interesting point. I actually drew blood from a cat today to send off for t4 levels (thyroid) because of this issue. The cat has had spells of fleas...but the hair loss did not coincide with the flea spells. So that will give me something to think about if the levels come back normal.

02/25/12  12:04AM

Removed By System
View Profile

Message To: Kracker   In reference to Message Id: 2255909

Cats

Removed By System

01/29/13  08:45AM

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Log-In   Log-Out   Members Area