Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Cats Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lovemykitty   Getscared   Rae rae   Rae rae   Getscared   Rae rae   Getscared   Lizardchic  

Member  Message

Lovemykitty
View Profile

Fleas

i gave my cat frountline plus and i found three fleas on her the other day and her scabs around her neck.. i brush her and im going to help steam clean furniture
soon what else could i do?

10/10/11  09:53pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Lovemykitty   In reference to Message Id: 2239965

Fleas

Frontline doesnt work unless you apply an ungodly amount on the animal.
dont bother steam cleaning the furniture, the fleas lay their eggs and reproduce in one spot and that is where ever your cat spends most of her time sleeping.
The steam cleaning will actually not kill the fleas, it can even help awaken the little cacoons that the larvae are in and make your flea problem worse!

The only flea prevention i have seen to really work are the ones like sentinal and comfortis. Its a monthly pill you give them. Comforits kills all adult fleas within 30 minutes and lasts a whole month.
Sentinal i believe is basically a birth control. It prevents the fleas from completing their lifecycle and it also is efffective for a month. Using these flea products you may see an adult flea or 2 but they wont be breeding or feeding.

In my experience you will spend more money trying to get frontline to work than you would if you bought the slightly more expensive products the first time around. (its lik 13 bucks a month or so)

Oh and intercepter and sentinal prevent against other parasites too! I dont remember wich is wich but one takes care of intestinal, fleas and heartworms!

10/16/11  12:02pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2240716

Fleas

Both sentinel and comfortis are products for dogs. They cannot be used on cats. Comfortis is the best flea product out there for dogs though.

First of all Frontline just really doesn’t work anymore. For the people that claim it does still work generally are people that do NOT have a flea problem to begin with.

Ok..so here’s what you gota do; This is what I and my boss (the vet) tell people all the time...

Put a better product on the cat like for instance we carry Advantage Multi for cats. It does fleas, heartworms, ear mites, hookworms, roundworms and mange mites. It is a still somewhat good product that does pretty well for cats. I still use it on my cat.

However you will need to treat the environment as well. Fleas jump on an animal and have a blood meal and jump off and lay eggs, bed down in your carpet, baseboards, rugs, mattress, etc. And of course they’re outside as well. The thing about the flea life cycle is that when it reaches a pupae phase generally nothing will kill it. It sits and waits with a protective barrier around it until vibrations or heat passes it by. Then it will hatch out into an adult flea and find its host.

So not only do you have to treat the cat but you also need to treat the environment as well to truly put a dent in the population. The best method of treating your house and yard would of course be to call an exterminator. However some people cannot afford that. So if you do it yourself make sure you use something that has a pyrethrin in it. HERE’S THE CATCH....pyrethrins are TOXIC to cats. So in other words if you go and get a flea fogger...the animals, and yourself need to be out of the house for a couple of hours. The instructions will be on the bottle. You can also buy premise sprays that work as well...but same rule...no cat in the house while doing it.

If you don’t want to/can’t treat the house and yard...really the best product out there for cats that I’ve seen is the Advantage...good luck! Fleas are getting worse every year.

12/02/11  11:55pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2240716

Fleas

Both sentinel and comfortis are products for dogs. They cannot be used on cats. Comfortis is the best flea product out there for dogs though.

First of all Frontline just really doesn’t work anymore. For the people that claim it does still work generally are people that do NOT have a flea problem to begin with.

Ok..so here’s what you gota do; This is what I and my boss (the vet) tell people all the time...

Put a better product on the cat like for instance we carry Advantage Multi for cats. It does fleas, heartworms, ear mites, hookworms, roundworms and mange mites. It is a still somewhat good product that does pretty well for cats. I still use it on my cat.

However you will need to treat the environment as well. Fleas jump on an animal and have a blood meal and jump off and lay eggs, bed down in your carpet, baseboards, rugs, mattress, etc. And of course they’re outside as well. The thing about the flea life cycle is that when it reaches a pupae phase generally nothing will kill it. It sits and waits with a protective barrier around it until vibrations or heat passes it by. Then it will hatch out into an adult flea and find its host.

So not only do you have to treat the cat but you also need to treat the environment as well to truly put a dent in the population. The best method of treating your house and yard would of course be to call an exterminator. However some people cannot afford that. So if you do it yourself make sure you use something that has a pyrethrin in it. HERE’S THE CATCH....pyrethrins are TOXIC to cats. So in other words if you go and get a flea fogger...the animals, and yourself need to be out of the house for a couple of hours. The instructions will be on the bottle. You can also buy premise sprays that work as well...but same rule...no cat in the house while doing it.

If you don’t want to/can’t treat the house and yard...really the best product out there for cats that I’ve seen is the Advantage...good luck! Fleas are getting worse every year.

12/02/11  11:56pm

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2245985

Fleas

Hahaha your right. I totally skipped over the bit about it being a cat XD thanks for re correction. My mind was just stuck on dogs lol. I think we use revolution on our cats

12/03/11  10:15pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Getscared   In reference to Message Id: 2246082

Fleas

Yea, Revolution is still used a lot with cats. And actually the dog and cat product have the exact same ingredients. So in other words a lot of people buy a big dog size Revolution, and dose it down for their cats. That tends to be the cheaper way to do it...if you know how. Knowing how to do that is the key. You have to have a syringe and know the correct milligrams to use and all. However if that is not your cup of tea, then I would recommend Advantage Multi only for the simple fact it is cheaper. And not that I’ve ever seen this in cats, but I have seen dogs come up heartworm positive using Revolution. Either way...either product should do a pretty good job with fleas. I did forget about the Revolution so I’m glad you mentioned it.

12/04/11  01:13am

Getscared
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2246099

Fleas

The vet I used to go to would do that for his clients to save money with frontline. Back when frontline was the big tada of flea products. He would measure it out in the surynge for us and sell it that way to keep cost down. I thought that was a very nice thing to do of him.

12/04/11  12:11pm

Lizardchic
View Profile

Message To: Lovemykitty   In reference to Message Id: 2239965

Fleas

Flea shampoo works,my friends cat had fleas and that’s what they used

09/17/13  04:32pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area