Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Lconn1   KrazyKelli   Lconn1   Lconn1   KrazyKelli   Lconn1  
 Member  Message

Lconn1
View Profile

issues..

so this morning i noticed liam itching his butt on the carpet a lot. at first i thought, ! he probably has worms so i went to check and noticed that he had a ton of poop matted to his fur (hes long haired) so i tried getting it off and when i finally got some of it out i noticed that a very thick string was in the poop. it was a tie from their toy tunnel thats used to tie it up small for storage. so clearly he ate some (which now i cut off all of the strings from the toy to keep this from happening again)

but now hes but looks very pink and inflamed. it almost looks like part of his anus has a pink blister on it. is this just from passing such a thick string and will it go down on its own or should i be doing anything? i really want to avoid taking him to the vet because im low on money right now and my other cat is do for her shots soon.

05/30/11  04:43pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2221781

issues..

I’d see a vet anyway. If the butt has a pink buldge around the anus area and he’s still rubbing his butt up and down the flooring of your house, he may have given himself hemorrhoids from passing it. It itches terribly and needs proper medication (or in worse cases a needle) to fix.

For now just keep an eye on it. Temporarily quarantine the one cat to its own room and box and watch future poop. Cut away the crappodulated fur around the backend of the cat and, at worst, give him a bath. If he’s continually showing signs of rubbing or he is in noticeable pain or discomfort while crapping in the future, you gotta see that vet. A checkup and a little medication never hurt anyone. If you tell them you’re real tight on cash, they can help you out.

And, provided you have indoor-only cats, it honestly wont hurt to postpone the vaccinations for the next few months if the other cat is 3 years or older.

06/01/11  05:49pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2222134

issues..

the other cat is still only 3 months old so she needs her shots :/

he stopped rubbing his butt on the floor but now he started peeing in the bathtub. he doesnt show any signs of pain while peeing and he pees regularly and it looks and smells normal. however he hasnt pooped since monday night and its now thursday morning. im wondering if his butt hurts and he doesnt want to poop and is associating the pain with the litter box and thats why hes going pee in the tub. if he doesnt poop today, im going to have to make him an appointment for monday. it just sucks because if he needs any kind of surgery we cant do it. were already trying to make up for the 1200 we had to spend from the lily incident.

should i try laxatone hairball remedy and see if it will help him start pooping again before i go to the vet?

06/02/11  08:41am

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2222134

issues..

scratch that. i just watched him poop and he did it in the bathtub. he didnt appear to be in any pain or discomfort and he did it as he normally would. he didnt struggle and there was a good amount. the poop looked pretty normal although on one part it looked like it had a little bit of slime or something. i looked at his butt after and it looked like there was a little bit of that slime right outside of his anus too. on the poo it looked whitish clear but on his butt it looked more orange. other than that hes been acting normal, eating playing drinking, peeing and now pooping after that but still in the tub. any ideas?

06/02/11  09:26am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2222244

issues..

Going in places outside of the box (mostly pooing) is called Mediation. It’s when the cat is upset about something or some presence and is communicating it to you by doing this. He could have some internal discomfort from the string’s passing and is pissing and crapping in the tub to communicate this. I recommend doing a twice over scrubbing of your tub with soap (dish or lava soap work best for this). Then, when you can’t smell the ammonia*, apply a bleach solution with a face mask on (or your face covered). That will remove anything else. No smell means he’s less likely to do it. (*do the bleach long after you do the soap scrubbing. Bleach and ammonia together can be toxic to breath in, thus the face mask to be sure).

To be safe, I’d also wash out and scrub the cat boxes with soap to remove any scents that may be bothering him.

(I’m going through the same thing right now with my newest cat, Sophie. She’s pissing and crapping on the basement step because my male buff cat is being a jerk around her. Ugh, cleaning a carpet of ammonia is a major pain. I still can’t get the @#$% smell out! And I’m Using a carpet cleaner! I got her to stop doing it, but sdfjo;iwaejfoejf smell. You’re lucky it’s in a tub for you. Those are easy to clean up.

06/02/11  03:17pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2222304

issues..

man oh man haha. i cleaned the tub with lemon scented dish soap cuz he hates the smell of that stuff but he still went in it again. so i cleaned it again and then put a towel in there and sprayed it with this no scratch spray i have. i worried though that by doing that hed just start going somewhere else so i took your advice and cleaned out the litter boxes too.

THEN i used treats to get him to go back inside the box to realize that the box wasnt causing pain anymore but it was in fact giving him pleasure with the treats. he was pretty reluctant but i did it a bunch of times throughout the day and again this morning with both boxes.

and thank the lord i happened to glance over and see him walk right in there on his own and use it like a good boy. PHEW no more nasty pee and poop tub... hopefully!

06/04/11  04:44pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area