Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

KrazyKelli   Lconn1   KrazyKelli   Lconn1   KrazyKelli   Lconn1  
 Member  Message

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Taking Mushi to vet

I scheduled a vet appointment for my black fluffy cat, Müshi. It’s got me on the low end of moods.

First off, she’s 14 and has been getting thin over the last year. She went from obese to around 7.5 lbs. I did put her on a very very low-grade cheapo food when the weight change first occurred, so that may be why. Or it could be age catching up to her.

One thing’s clear, and that’s that she doesn’t really care for dry food at all any more (even after I switched her to Taste of the Wild). Only good news is that she’ll eat canned stuff and soft treats like they’re going out of style. That and she’ll readily play with string and cat toys.

Another reason I’m taking her in is that she’s gained this rubberband eating habit. Supposedly she’s been eating and puking rubberbands for over a month now and I was only informed about this recently. So I’ll have to tell the vet to do an x-ray on her to make sure nothing’s inside that matters. It only takes one and all that.

I’m bummed out. I hope it’s a best case scenario like, say, a cavity that’s keeping her from eating dry stuff. And that there are no foreign objects in her system outside of the rogue hairball.

05/03/11  12:27am

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2217078

Taking Mushi to vet

im sure if she puked up all the others that there wouldnt be any of them left in her system. clearly they dont sit well in her stomach, so i doubt she would have left any behind, but better to be safe than sorry. im sure everythings peachy though. and like you said its definitely a good sign that shes still very willing to eat wet food and isnt reluctantly playing or not wanting to at all. im sure if something serious was up there would be other signs. but you definitely know more about this kind of thing than i do though haha im just thinking out loud! just stay positive! and make sure you keep us updated!

i also wanted to thank you for the tips you gave me with liam. you definitely helped calm my nerves and it turns out hes healthy! and when you get a chance i was wondering if you had any advice for me on getting a second cat? you seem to know your stuff! if you want to you can message me!

05/03/11  12:49am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2217084

Taking Mushi to vet

Back from the vet. They did a piss and blood test. Cost me 277 something without the special canned food I got for Puff. I wont know the test results for another week.

Vet said that it’s not unusual for older kitties to want canned food over dry. And that it’s concerning that Müshi dropped 3 lbs since her last visit (which was admittedly years ago). She also said Müshi’s kidneys were extremely small, and to stay guarded towards things like kidney failure. I’m half-expecting kidney failure because of her age. If that’s the case, I wont do any costly life-postphoners at the vet and just let her live her life out until she goes downhill.

Her teeth were fine ’cept for a back one, which had some hard tarter buildup. If her tests don’t show anything conclusive, I’ll get her teeth cleaned next to find out if she has that stupid cavity or not.

The worst thing to come out of the trip was the drive there. She freaking wailed. It made me feel bad.

05/05/11  05:50pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2217555

Taking Mushi to vet

well hopefully everything turns out alright. it sucks you have to wait a week to find out the results. and omg i know its so expensive. liams stay at the vet for 2 days plus xrays costed me 1200 dollars. insane. keep us postedd

05/07/11  09:53pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2217902

Taking Mushi to vet

Got the rest of the results back. She has renal and liver failure. I don’t know how long she’s got, but since she’s still active and eats her wet food, I wont consider putting her down just yet.

The vet wants to do a bunch more tests, and I don’t feel comfortable about dumping heaps of cash on Müshi. What else would I learn that I didn’t from the major blood test, hyperthyroid test, and urinalysis?

I also looked at websites, which bring up giving IV drips to the cat, giving her vitamins, and giving her kidney-happy food. The IV drips I think are extreme, but I may have the vet give her one or two if I have to. Vitamins sound okay. And I already have vet-perscribed cat food. There’s not much else I can (or am willing to) do.

05/10/11  05:56pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2218357

Taking Mushi to vet

im really sorry to hear that :/ it must really suck but at least youre doing everything you can without dropping tons of cash on her, and i dont blame you considering shes pretty old. so at least shes lived a nice long life so far and all you can do now is enjoy the time you guys have together which is hopefully still a good while since you mentioned that shes still eating and active.

05/10/11  08:21pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area