Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Lconn1   FutureVet123   Lconn1   KrazyKelli   Lconn1   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Lconn1   KrazyKelli   Lconn1   Lconn1   Peeper gal  
 Member  Message

Lconn1
View Profile

I need your prayers!

i brought home an easter lily today that i got as a gift for easter. i set it down in the kitchen for literally 1 minute while i took my coat off and in that amount of time my cat jumped up and started chewing on the leaves. i got him to the er within about 2 hours of it happening.

they induced vomitting because he hadnt, and found a little piece or two of the leaf. theyre keeping him for 2 days, giving him charcoal to absorb any toxins left, and are going to continue to flush his system with fluids and constantly check his kidneys.

i heard that since we brought him so quickly and they took immediate action that his chances are good but im still extremely worried and sick to my stomach, especially because hes not home with me and all i can do is worry. i dont know what ill do if i lose my little baby.

please pray for him, we need all of your prayers. i want my little liam back. :/

04/24/11  06:19pm

FutureVet123
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2215789

I need your prayers!

My prayers are with you and Liam for a full and speedy recovery!!
-Peaches, Shiloh, and Jeni

04/26/11  07:00pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: FutureVet123   In reference to Message Id: 2216087

I need your prayers!

thank you so muchh. hes home now, after a big scare. they thought he wouldnt make it because they suspected he also had some kind of heart condition that was causing him to breath fast and react to the fluids and charcoal when they were flushing him. they did xrays and found that he had a slight abnormality in the way he was developed but his breathing was most likely just stress related.

he came home yesterday and he was acting totally normal, playing fetch, and being obnoxious and cute as always. hes eating, drinking, and using the litter box normally. im supposed to watch for blood in his pee and look for anything abnormal.

the only thing i noticed today is that hes pretty much just slept all day instead of playing with his toys too much, but part of me suspects that:
1: its hotter than its been in the apartment today and we dont have air conditioning right now
2: hes tired from being over excited coming home yesterday and being hyper
3: cats usually sleep during the day anyway

hes been laying mostly in the bathroom on the tile and the bathtub. do you think its probably just from the heat that hes been relaxing all day? im trying not to get myself worked up and getting nervous about him.

the doc said his kidney levels were normal every time they checked them in the past 48 hours. im super paranoid.

04/27/11  07:27pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2216242

I need your prayers!

I would be too. Fact, because of your post I printed out a "Lilies Kill Cats’ thing and put it on my fridge to educate other people passing by. I have daylilies next to my basement window and may move them now. Replace them with something nicer like, say, marigolds.

Cats are really stressed after being at the vet. They’ll go hide and sleep to work off the stress on their own time. Cats sleeping on bathroom floors is normal if it’s hot. I suggest having a fan running or making the AC lower. If he doesn’t respond to you giving a food call or petting him, or he’s panting nonstop, or he doesn’t leave that bathroom floor in a day, you should be a little concerned and should at least call your vet to voice your worries.

04/27/11  10:19pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2216268

I need your prayers!

it really is frustrating. i love lilies and tried everything to keep him from getting to him but the fact is its just not safe to have them around. that stupid plant ended up costing me 1200 dollars.

im going to start running the AC as soon as possible. im in an apartment complex and we arent allowed to run in until they come and take the covers off and do something to do. its extremely annoying but that will definitely be a big help.

he hasnt been panting or anything and he left the bathroom. i ended up taking a cold wet washcloth and rubbing him down and rubbing his paws with it. normally he would hate it but he just sat there and let me do it for at least a minute. after that he started being playful and then sat by the open window to feel the breeze. it probably felt good with the damp fur after being so hot.

so hopefully he was just hot and everything is still going well with his recovery. im still so paranoid though! im prayinnggg nothing happens and he recovers just fine.

04/27/11  10:31pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2216269

I need your prayers!

It’s still perfectly natural to be paranoid. I would.

I use to mist down my older cats when they would overheat. Aim for the chest and paws. If it doesn’t work, and you know it isn’t regular overheating (like, the cat hasn’t overheated before in such conditions) then it wouldn’t hurt to pop by the vet. They can put some water under the skin to cool that cat down or check it out to make sure nothing else’s amiss. But it sounds like he’s doing okay if he’s up and about. You said he played fetch; I know for a fact that a long-haired cat can get hot quick when running back and forth with a toy. Going to the bathroom or a dark place after something like that is completely natural.

04/28/11  02:14pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2216359

I need your prayers!

Buh, in related news, I learned that my Muscari plant I got a week ago was part of the Lily family. Though it’s a Hyacinth. Man was I confused. My newest cat was eating it a few days ago and I put it outside. She didn’t puke up anything and acted normal.

When I looked up the plant for general care today (cause the plant looked sick), I learned it was part of the Liliaceae family, as well as being called a Hyacinth.... I freaked. Unlike you, I didn’t take her to a vet.

The good news is that I looked it up on the ASPCA website and it says it’s non-toxic. Bwah that’s scary. Gave me a heart attack. I have no clue why this plant doesn’t have a latin name or description on it’s tag. And why is it part of the lily family if it’s not toxic to cats?

04/28/11  11:53pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2216450

I need your prayers!

ahh its like the scariest feeling ever. good thing it wasnt toxic and that you looked it up!

i have a couple random questions for you or anyone else. the doc had told me to watch for some things but didnt really mention the signs of kidney failure which i looked up myself (i always look everything up and get myself more paranoid)

anyway. because im trying to pay such close attention to my cats drinking and peeing habits, im having a hard time figuring out if hes drinking too much or too little, or using the litter box enough.

hes gone into his litter box a couple times today but its hard to tell whats old and whats new cuz it gets buried. i wanna make sure hes peeing and check for any blood but im getting paranoid thinking hes not going enough for the amount of water hes drinking. but then again he just drinks little dribbles from the sink cuz i leave it running a bit.

so how often should a cat be peeing in a day? ive heard 2-3 and ive heard 4-6 but i know it depends on how much hes drinking too. agh its so frustrating. i just want to know that hes okay and stop freaking myself out. im making myself sick worrying about this.

hes active, attentive, playful, hes eating and drinking, and he seems a lot more normal today. the only thing is that im worried that hes not peeing enough? or maybe im just being paranoid and hes being normal? i wish i could call the vet but theyre closed. any thoughts?

04/29/11  06:27pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2216563

I need your prayers!

A cat with kidney issues will piss a ton and drink a ton. They’ll also sometimes seem dehydrated and lethargic. The thing is that a normal cat will absorb some of the water it drinks, and the kidneys will flush out any excess stuff (and junk in the food). Since cats have a concentrated piss by default, it’ll be yellow and smell a little, unless you’re using one fantastic type of litter.

A kidney-failing cat will drink the same water and eat the same food, but since the kidneys are going downhill they wont help flush out/filter anything. Thus the water will go straight through the cat. You’ll have a clearer piss and far more of it, more of the time. The cat, to make up for this lack of water it’s holding onto, will drink a ton more. And a ton more water will go through it. Then the cat gets dehydrated and stuff. That’s the jist of it.

If it’s hot, a normal cat will drink more water and piss a little more than usual as well. But there’s a huge difference between a normal cat drinking more and a sick cat drinking all the time. Some cats with failing kidneys will also eat less, or seem like they aren’t eating enough.

To monitor your cat’s water intake, give him a water bowl instead of the sink for a while. Safer that way anyway. If you give him a huge bowl of water and the thing is practically empty by the end of the day, something’s up. Don’t freak if he goes to drink in it, though ;)

To monitor the litterbox, just keep an eye on the clump size and how many clumps. 3 to 5 is average. 10 some? One clump mountain that takes up an entire corner of the litterbox? Eh...

I’ve dealt with kidney failure with all old cats I’ve ever owned. It’s something that happens to old kitties... It’s very easy to detect once you get use to it, sadly.

04/29/11  06:50pm

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2216568

I need your prayers!

agh its so hard to tell! hes acting totally normal it just seems like he wants more water, or im just freaking out cuz im trying to pay such close attention. im taking him to the vet today for his follow up to do a kidney panel and pee test. im sooooo nervous now. AGHHHH.

04/30/11  09:34am

Lconn1
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2216620

I need your prayers!

so i noticed earlier that liam has some dried crusties around his private area. my boyfriend said that hes noticed it occasionally before but idk if i believe him. ive read that its a sign of a uti but he doesnt seem to be having any signs of one (peeing outside the litter box, straining to pee, blood, or crying in pain)

i wondered if this could be normal on occasion, maybe litter sticking to him or dried pee? or could it be a sign of kidney failure? of course im worried. still acting normal though. (active, eating, drinking, playing, being social) i find out tomorrow the results of his follow up kidney panel. blah

05/01/11  05:31pm

Peeper gal
View Profile

Message To: Lconn1   In reference to Message Id: 2216790

I need your prayers!

don’t be scared that happens to my cat who doesn’t like cleaning his privates its just dried pee

08/20/11  05:38pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area