Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Silverdoe100   KrazyKelli   Silverdoe100  
 Member  Message

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Cat and ferret trouble

Hello everyone, I also posted this on the small animal forum but I thought maybe you cat owners would have some suggestions too, or perhaps some of you also have cats and ferrets...

Hey everybody, I just adopted a ferret a few days ago and I have a question. Here is the problem..he bites my cat, hard. My cat is 9 mths old (so still technically a kitten i suppose), and he is the sweetest, most cuddly, gentle cat I have ever seen in my life. He wants to play with the ferret, and when he does he is gentle but the ferret pounces on him and bites at his face. I’m constantly pulling the ferret away from him and intervening before my poor kitty gets hurt. Today the ferret grabbed a chunk of skin behind his ear and wouldnt let go (that sucker really had a grip). My cat just laid there and started crying because it was hurting him. It absolutley broke my heart. Anyway, while the ferret was still attached I scruffed him, and I had to put my fingers in his mouth to get him to let go of the cat. When I got him off I carried him by the scruff to his cage, firmly said no, put him back in the cage, and ignored him. Is this the proper way to teach him not to bite the cat? Does anyone know why he is being so rough? Is it possible he’s just playing and doesn’t realize he’s hurting the cat? It doesnt seem like play to me, it seems more like aggression and displaying dominance. i dont want my cat getting hurt, especially since the ferret always goes for his face. I guarantee if it had bitten his ear my cat would have a nice chunk of his ear missing right now. I also dont want my sweet little kitty turning mean from being picked on. Please help! Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance

04/06/11  07:15pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Silverdoe100   In reference to Message Id: 2213286

Cat and ferret trouble

It would be proper to separate them indefinitely, or until the cat reaches adulthood. Ferrets can be mischievous and some animals just do not have friendly personalities. I mean, even some cats don’t get along with one another. I have a male cat that wont hesitate to beat the snot out of one of my other cats at any given moment and have to keep them separated (give them their own territories to avoid litterbox disputes). The ferret may also feel threatened by the cat’s smell/presence and is doing his best to ’deal with the trouble’ himself.

Ferrets need a place to roam/room of their own. Something with things to chew and places to hide. PVC pipe is great for ferrets as they love tight enclosed spaces, and it makes them feel safer. Something to keep them occupied/entertained. Otherwise they’ll do so themselves.

So yeah, it may be wise to conclude that they’re not going to be ’friends’ and give them their own territories. Worse comes to worse get a second ferret, so the two ferrets can play with one another. Or, if you have a multi-floor house, give one animal the basement and the other the upstairs.

04/06/11  08:24pm

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2213305

Cat and ferret trouble

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatley keeping them separate is not really an option because the ferrets need to be out 3-4 hours a day. This happens during the day and evening when I’m home from work, and thats also my cat’s time with me. It would be unfair to keep my cat locked in a room for three hours while the ferrets run around. Most of the time if i see their paths start to cross I hurry and grab the ferret away from the cat, but it doesnt always work because my cat seeks the ferrets out wanting to play...so I cant keep him protected all the time. I need to find a way to train my ferret. he doesnt have to be nice to the cat, he just needs to ignore him.

04/07/11  11:16am

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area