Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Vwvixen02   KrazyKelli   Oldmischief   Cc9999   Peeper gal  
 Member  Message

Vwvixen02
View Profile

My kitten still looks so thin

I have a seven month old extremely active kitten named Winnie. He just got neutered but still is so hyper..runs around like a mad man, plays with the dogs, and eats whatver your eating right off your plate...his fave food being pasta..I feed him a large wet can in the morning and one at night and leave hard food out all day...but he still looks so thin!!! how do i plump him up or is that normal? He was also the runt

03/23/11  08:34am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Vwvixen02   In reference to Message Id: 2211092

You shouldn’t let him eat what’s on your plate. Cats are carnivorous and can’t digest pasta. Certain foods and things typically added to food, like onion, can really hurt the cat in the long-term. Also, human food tends to have a ton of salt, which will dehydrate the cat. I feel the worst is potato chips or fries. Potatoes will constipate the cat and the salt will make it worse.

Active cats eat a ton and don’t gain much weight. I don’t know what to tell you. I have a russian blue that’s 13 and she’s always been small and extremely active. I switched her to a high quality no-grain diet (I give her Taste of the Wild now, as well as cans from the vet to help her kidneys) and she’s achieved the perfect weight.

Certain foods, like cheapo stuff, can have tons of wasteful crap in it that wont add to the cats weight, even if the cat eats a ton. The best thing to do is avoid foods that actually advertise that they have grains like that’s somehow beneficial to a cat. Cats eat meat. The grains are filler and pass right through them. It’s extremely ineffective and the cat food company is basically saying, "Look! We know nothing about cats! We’re just finding the cheapest crap possible for you!"

03/23/11  07:09pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

If you are super worried you should get his thyroid check for hyperthyroid disease.

A high quality food might help if he isnt already on one. My cats are also on taste of the wild and they are all the perfect weight.

Good luck

03/27/11  09:39pm

Cc9999
View Profile

she loooks good to me yet i have to fat fat fat cats =)

07/13/11  12:13pm

Peeper gal
View Profile

they are suppose to look like that just don’t feed onions or chocolate to them

08/20/11  03:03pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area