Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

FoxGirl05   KrazyKelli   FoxGirl05   Rae rae   FoxGirl05   Gypsum   Peeper gal  
 Member  Message

FoxGirl05
View Profile

I need answers now.... HELP

hello, i have been on this website for many years for bearded dragons and uromastyx but i also have 4 cats and 1 dog. I need help right away about one of my cats. His name is tiki. male orange tabby cat we got him as a baby kitten in 2001. he is entirely indoor. about two years ago he dislocated his hip with a little fracture i believe they did a splint and all to fix it so all was well. well recently about two weeks ago he started limping on his broken hip side. then he lost alot of weight. he is a big cat in length and now weighs 6-7 pounds. Which the vet said for his size is really bad. He developed a lump. its hard and it has been growing a little, its also warm. the lump is on his broken hip also. Thats only one problem, since he was losing weight i switched his food to a more expensive but he wont eat. (yes i did a little at a time to switch foods cause i know its alot to just switch to one brand to the other.) so i switched back and he still wouldnt eat. i had to finger feed him soft wet food basically force it on him. that was sunday now he is eating a little more like two spoon fulls on him own. So thats another problem, the other one is i did the dehydration test with the skin and he seemed very dehydrated. I have like 3 water bowls now and the sink running sometimes cause he loves that. i also feed him 5 ml of pedialyte for babies that i know is very good for him. On a good note he does move around normal. he does not run at all. he has a hard time jumping but i think thats cause of his hip. he is alert normal, and purrrsss normal. Ijust dont know what to do. i mentioned i went to the emergency vet, which i literally just came from. they just did a check up they said his vitals were good but the vet said it may be cancer/tumor/growing mass. They said we could put him threw the lukemia but that would be $4000 and can be painful. They did not do any blood work or x rays cause it was going to cost 324 dollars. I do not have it for one and we have a history about this emergency vet. they once said our pug was fine cause he triped on some stairs and we just ned tomake him rest and the next morning he died with a lung infection so i do not trust this place but it was the only place open. i am taking him to another emergency vettomorrow but i just wanted some help. any advice or "what you think it might be" kinda stuff. i am sorry about it being wrong and the format is likea six graders but i just need help he is the snuggle bunny of our family.he means the world to me as all our animals do just like yours thanks you very much

andrew and brittany

02/09/11  09:38pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: FoxGirl05   In reference to Message Id: 2204054

Cats are very good at hiding pain. They can go years covering things up until it gets serious, which is when they start showing symptoms. If the cat is limping and not wanting to do normal cat things (like run, jump, eat, etc) then he’s probably in a ton of pain right now.

If you know its the hip, and you know there’s a lump there, and if his weight decrease started happened in a year around when his limp started, then 10 to 1 it’s something hurting him in the hip, which is making him not feel too good about anything in general.

What you should do? You should go to a vet, pay the money, and have them do xrays, take a sample of the bump, and open up the cat if necessary. It could be a tumor. It could also be the hip socket, or calcification from a bad heal, or an abscess - which will only make the cat worse over time. Yes, it’s expensive. But all animals can be expensive. Some vets do payment plans.

I had to take a cat in a while back because her eye got all messed up. She rubbed against some cleaning agent on a couch, got it into her eye, and later down the line developed an eye ulser. Cost me 2,000 to fix. If I didn’t fix her, she would have died from infection. If I took too long to treat her, she would’ve lost her eye. Thankfully I didn’t hesitate, and now she’s right as rain. I’m glad I put down the cash. A life is worth it.

02/10/11  03:02pm

FoxGirl05
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2204163

i totally agree about all of it. Good job on taking car of the eye thing. I applied for a credit thing for a cat vet something like that. I have a 2000 dollar limit. We went to the vet today to get another opinion and he said the same thing. i spent another 340 dollars to get a check up and a blood test. His vitals are good. Kidneys are good and normal functions are good but his calcium level is hight which the vet said is a sign that he has a tumor. The doctor said its more than likely a tumor. He said he has no gareentee but he has any where from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. there is only one way out and that is to cut the leg off and part of the hip. basically take the tumor out. There isnt a good chance he can get it all off but its either that or put him to sleep. I am calling him tomorrow about prices to fix it cause the doctor didnt think it was good to do so but its the only chance i got. He is only 10 about to be 11 and i read the average life is 15 to 16 years old. I would absolutly LOVE to beat this tumor and have my baby live for 5 more years.

02/10/11  09:41pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: FoxGirl05   In reference to Message Id: 2204226

i really hate that. that’s a really hard spot to be in. i just have one piece of advice...do what’s best for your baby, and not just what’s best for you...and i’m not talking about money either. putting money aside, look at quality of life. it kills me when an animal suffers...and krazykelli is right, by the time a cat lets you know something is wrong, it can be too late. it’s just nature to not show weakness.

i’m really sorry about this and i pray everything turns out ok for you. let us know what happens. and by the way...if you can’t afford it, then you can’t afford it. if you absolutely don’t have the money it’s not like you can make it grow on a tree. so if you do end up having to put him to sleep, don’t beat yourself up too bad because that’s better than letting him suffer. good luck.

02/10/11  11:20pm

FoxGirl05
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 2204248

Thank you very much rae rae. it means alot. i know i may not have the money for the surgery but i know deep down if i cant pay for it i am doing the right thing to put him down instead of slowly dying in pain. This was hard to deal with and i am trying to get all the money i can for him. I will be willing to put all i can on credit. i agree i have always been a animal person and when animals suffer it kills me... so i will keep you guys posted. thank you very much pray for him.

02/11/11  12:23am

Gypsum
View Profile

Message To: FoxGirl05   In reference to Message Id: 2204262

Ive heard about lumps like this and he will defiantly need surgery. If, like you said, you can not afford surgery then sadly it would be less painful to put him to sleep. I will pray you get the money to afford to get the surgery and if you do that it goes well.

06/06/11  12:13pm

Peeper gal
View Profile

Message To: FoxGirl05   In reference to Message Id: 2204054

take him to the animal hospital not just the vet he might have cancer or polio

08/20/11  05:53pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area