Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Roxy_Blade   Roxy_Blade   KrazyKelli   KrazyKelli   Roxy_Blade  
 Member  Message

Roxy_Blade
View Profile

How can I give her the balance she needs?

My cat has gone from being an outdoor cat to an indoor one and while fussing her today I noticed that she has put on a lot of weight. I would say she is now obese as I can barely feel her ribs.

My problem is, how much do I feed her and how can I give her the exercise she needs? She’s not really a people cat and would much rather sleep then play, but its either I try and give her some exercise or starve her (which I really don’t want to do!)

Can anyone give me some ideas of how I can help her loose the weight she has gained and keep her healthy?

11/01/10  10:17pm

Roxy_Blade
View Profile

Message To: Roxy_Blade   In reference to Message Id: 2185096

Also, when I say "starve her" I dont mean literally. She constantly cries out for food and so as soon as I cut her intake it will feel like Im starving her

11/01/10  10:19pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Roxy_Blade   In reference to Message Id: 2185097

cats can become whiney little things when they want their food. I have cats of all sizes in my house. One, who was an emaciated outdoor mother, became a plump lap cat in one year after her kittens were weened and she was fixed. Morris, who ’who knows’ where he lived in his first year, is buff. You can’t feel his ribs, but he’s sheer kitty athlete. Then others that don’t matter to this thread.

So a cat doesn’t have to be lean to be ’balanced’. Course, being fat is bad as well.

Go with kitty instincts. First get (or make) a type of toy and see if the cat wont bring it back to you or walk around the house with it at night. This can be small fluffy catnip/rattle mice, crumpled aluminum foil balls, bottle caps, etc. Mousers love this way of play and if your cat picks up on it, simply playing fetch with her or letting her run around the house at night with the toy will make up the difference.

Then there are the basic cat toys. Ball, String, Catnip, Bag, and Light. Some cats like one more than the other. It pays to have one of each to find out which one your cat is most attracted in. All are self-explanatory, and some are more easily acquired than others (like bag, being a grocery bag.)

11/02/10  01:33pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2185153

btw, all that was related to exercise. Exercise = play.

I don’t have the time at the moment to get into food proportions, but keep in mind that the directions on the bag can be drastically over-estimated. Reduce to maybe a handful or less or food and feed twice a day.

11/02/10  01:34pm

Roxy_Blade
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2185154

Thank you! We’ve tried all sorts of toys, tunnels, balls, mice, towers etc. She plays for 10 mins or so and then goes and lies down and gives you a disgusted look when you try and entice her back into it. Her favourite toy is one with real feathers on it. Think it reminds her of her hunting days, but she still only plays for short periods of time.

I currently give her 2 pouches of whiskers a day. But will probably drop that down to 1. She has a constant supply of biscuits.

11/02/10  05:57pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area