Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Zechriel   MultiLizard   KrazyKelli   ReptileRodent   Jlm86   Oldmischief  
 Member  Message

Zechriel
View Profile

Old cat needs sweater?

Good afternoon! We have an old cat, Recess is a Pure Maine Coon who will be 20 this winter. He has been diabetic and on insulin twice a day for the last 4 years. This spring my husband made him some kitty stairs for his achy joints. And he uses them alot. I am wondering though that maybe he needs a "sweater" like dogs have for his joints. During the last fwe winters he does have a fleece blankie he lays on the couch with and we wrap him up every night. But maybe he needs more? We do get below zero quite often and although we use the heat, being a 170 yr old house, it is very draft y through the wood floors. Please help, thank you.

09/07/10  12:54pm

MultiLizard
View Profile

Message To: Zechriel   In reference to Message Id: 2174195

Old cat needs sweater?

Well, it wouldn’t hurt to make sure he is warm and that he isn’t in any pain but being with his age, his weight, and how furry he is, a sweater might be too much for him.

It might make it harder for him to get get around, and the fur would maybe make him feel crowded so he might try to take it off. I tried putting a sweater on one of my younger cats and he just couldn’t stand it and it seemed to make it harder for him to walk around.

I would say to try it on him before making a permanent decision. But yeah, I would certainly see how he handles it and then if it doesn’t seem to bother him very much, I say go for it. He would seem that he would need it.

09/08/10  09:10am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: MultiLizard   In reference to Message Id: 2174372

Old cat needs sweater?

A mainecoon is one breed of cat that is literally built for the cold by nature. They have many layers of insulating fur to keep them warm. They even have fur between their toe pads to help survive in snowy weather. If anything, my old mainecoon cats would overheat far quicker than they would suffer from indoor hypothermia. And as the cats got older, they had more trouble grooming themselves to get the chunks of shed out.

Cats are smart. If there’s a fire or place of warmth, they’ll be there to use it.

As they get older, and I’m sure you know, the living space of a cat will get smaller. Be sure that his shrinking territory includes the warmer parts of the house. A sweater may be stressful for him at that age.

09/08/10  07:41pm

ReptileRodent
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2174478

Old cat needs sweater?

Quote:

Cats are smart. If there’s a fire or place of warmth, they’ll be there to use it.

You beat me to it! haha. KrazyKelli hit the nail on the head there. Your cat will know where she feels comfortable, I think the sweater would just be seen as an annoyance to her. As long as she is kept inside, there shouldn’t be any problem.

09/14/10  11:53pm

Jlm86
View Profile

Old cat needs sweater?

It might seem backwards but putting a sweater on a long haired cat would actually make them colder! Maine Coone’s have an undercoat which traps air and warms it up which comes into direct contact with the skin causing the blood to warm-up/ regulating the overall temperature of the animal’s body. Putting a sweater on her would force her hair to lay flat not allowing air into the undercoat to warm-up. Some fabrics such as fleece will amplify the cat’s ability to insulate their body from the cold, but it can not be bound tightly to their body; there needs to be a flow of air between the skin, fur, and fabric.

Dogs who wear coats are typically small breed dogs that have a single coat and are meant for hot climates (chihuaha, italian greyhound, boston terrier...etc). These dogs do not have the same insulating mechanisms that your cat does so they need something to warm-up the outside air before it comes in contact with their skin (a coat or sweater). Good Luck!

09/29/10  04:00pm

Oldmischief
View Profile

Old cat needs sweater?

Maybe as a alternative, use a heat mat on low with a thin bed on top of it... I use to use one for my knee and my cats would love to lay on it during the winters when it was turned off but still warm from being used. but this way if your cat is too hot, it can always move away, where as with a sweater, he cant. Im sure they make warming beds specifically for cats too... or you can get those neck pillows filled with rice or something that you throw in the microwave and let him sleep next to one of those.

09/29/10  09:05pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area