Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Repfanaticlady29   KrazyKelli   Repfanaticlady29   Repfanaticlady29   Repfanaticlady29   Repfanaticlady29   Roxy_Blade   Repfanaticlady29   KrazyKelli   Repfanaticlady29   Roxy_Blade  
 Member  Message

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Tips on taming feral kitten?

The spay and neuter group I’m with does a TNR (trap, neuter, release) program every few months. I volunteered my vehicle for transport this time around and fell in love with a DLH gray and white kitten. I am going to foster it (will know the sex when we go back to pick the cats up) and need some pointers from people with experience. I have the spare room all set up with a new litter box, toys, and bowls. I plan on taking it very slow and leaving him/her alone for a week or 2 since being trapped, speutered, and being moved to a strange place is stressful enough. I’ll have a picture or 2 and some more info later. Thanks in advance for your help.

08/31/10  02:03pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2172743

The big thing you have to be aware of is that feral cats do not enjoy nor prefer to use a litterbox. Litter is foreign to them. After all, why use it when they can piss in the corner and crap under your bed?

Feral kittens, provided it was caught quick enough, may or may not have this issue. Usually they’re easier to litter train. Sometimes you can litter train them, but they will start crapping on the outside of the box.

And that’s the biggest issue you’re going to face. If it does come up, try using non-fertilized potting soil, dirt from your backyard, or playground sand instead of litter and see if that changes anything. Keep an eye and nose out for carpet piss.

The second biggest issue you’re going to face is socialization. And sometimes you can socialize that cat to love you like nothing else, but it will still always hide and absolutely hate everyone else. The best steps to socialize the cat are 1. give it a longer settle time, 2. hum or talk when you give it food (to let it know that You’re the one giving the food), and 3. Eventually play with it. For the playing I recommend string and feather toys. If the cat refuses to come out from under the bed, then lay on the bed for a prolonged period of time, then gently lower the string to the floor on the side of it. Cat may not take to it at first, but hunting instincts are hunting instincts.

Another thing you have to know about, concerning socialization, is that a feral cat - especially kitten - will find the damnest places to hide in. Places you may not be able to reach it. So triple check areas and be prepared for it. Jiggly, my bro’s cat that he got as a feral kitten, somehow hid underneath the entertainment center in a 3 inch high space just out of reach and wouldn’t come out for a day. Another wild cat I owned would jump up into the top of the basement closet, push up the ceiling panel, and crawl along in the ceiling until he got bored and came back down.

If this is a cat that had to be bottle fed after rescue, then I wouldn’t worry too much. And don’t be surprised if this cat warms up to you immediately, as some are oddly enough apt to do.

08/31/10  07:24pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2172821

Thanks. I won’t have issues with him peeing all over since I’m keeping him in an XL dog crate. In a few weeks he will be able to come out while I’m in the room. He will only be seeing me for a few minutes twice a day so I can feed and water him and scoop the litter box. When he stops going crazy when I enter the room I’ll start trying to socialize more with him. He used the litter box twice so far. He peed on the paper a few times though. I’m just glad he’s using the box at all.

The vet says he’s about 2-3 months old. His tests came back negative for FIV, FLV, and heartworm. He got all his shots except rabies because he’s not big enough yet. My computer isn’t working well, so I will have to add pictures later. Wish me luck with him.

09/01/10  05:11pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2173005

Well, after a month I can officially say this kitten is only semi-feral. I moved him to my daughter’s room yesterday. I started feeding him dry food after a week of him being here. He only gets wet food a few times a week and only when I’m in the room. I go in, sit on the floor and put the bowl next to me. I sit there and talk to him for about 10 minutes. Most of the time he comes out. I can get him to lick the food off of my finger too.

He doesn’t like being held much nor does he like being stroked, but he loves to have his chin and neck scratched. I still haven’t heard him purr, but he’ll get there.

I have pictures, but I’m not on my computer, so can’t post them right now. I haven’t named him because I’m still not sure if I’m going to keep him. I posted an ad on Craigslist looking for prospective adopters. I’m going to be a stickler on who he goes home with. I stated in the ad that there will be a contract, home check, and follow up along with a $20 donation to their local shelter. So in time we’ll see what happens. Pictures soon.

10/04/10  06:07pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2179033

Okay. Here’s the pictures as promised.

They’re not that good, but he really didn’t like me pointing the strange rectangular object at him. He’s absolutely adorable and it will be so nice to see him relax and show some of his personality.

10/04/10  08:56pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2179068

He has relaxed so much since he’s had full run of the house and we got a new kitten. Here’s some new pictures of him hanging out on my bed with the dogs, other cats, and I.
Lou is his second favorite cat. He really likes our kitten, Gia because he can beat up on her.

He loves the dogs. Never did have problems with them.

Sitting on my feet and playing with Lady’s ear. He’s such a goof ball. lol

10/18/10  04:19pm

Roxy_Blade
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2181848

He’s adorable!!! Are you still only fostering him or have you adopted him? I dont think I’d be able to let him go! Lol. Wish I could adopt him, but the UK’s a bit far. Lol

10/19/10  09:40am

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: Roxy_Blade   In reference to Message Id: 2181977

Right now I’m still just fostering him. I’ve been putting an ad up every week on Craigslist for him, but have not found anybody. I might have to just give up and talk my roommate into letting me keep him. I’m still undecided though.

He’s very handsome and soft. He has a very loud purr when he does decide to use it. His best friend is my deaf cat, Lou. He loves the dogs and even wrestles with them. It’s just that 4 cats is a lot for me.

10/19/10  03:11pm

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2182027

It’s still good to know that your deaf cat made a friend. Disabled cats are very nice as they can, under some circumstances, make friends with even the meanest of cats. My cat, Teddy was like that when he was around. He had walking issues and had failing lungs due to heartworm trauma (before I adopted him). Yet he made friends with everyone, even the most antisocial cats out there. Maybe the antisocial cats just don’t have anything to fear from the disabled ones. ^^

I really can’t help with rehoming, though. 4 is enough for me right now.

10/25/10  06:34pm

Repfanaticlady29
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2183452

Well, I asked the shelter I volunteer for to put him up on petfinder. When I inquired a week later I was told no. I stopped putting the ads up on craigslist after I got about 5 e-mails from people telling me to just let him go back outside. So, I guess I’m keeping him unless somebody finds me. He’s starting to fit in quite nicely. Here’s a couple pictures of him falling asleep while I was petting him a few nights ago.

10/27/10  03:25am

Roxy_Blade
View Profile

Message To: Repfanaticlady29   In reference to Message Id: 2183843

Awwwww! He’s gorgeous! I REALLY wish I could re home him! :(

10/27/10  11:23am

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area