Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Scarletsnake   KrazyKelli   Kitty4u8   KrazyKelli   Kitty4u8   Roxy_Blade  
 Member  Message

Scarletsnake
View Profile

Any experience traveling with cats?? Please advise!!

I’m moving from OH to CA in a couple months & I don’t know how to transport my 2 kitties! Meike will be 8 years old this month & Ashlin is 1. Both of them are typical cats who hate being in the car. I’ve never taken them on a drive longer than 20 minutes & if I drive with them it will be almost 2 days in the car. (just imagining it gives me a panic attack LOL!)

A friend who has traveled with her cat several times (about 17 hours once) said he did well with tranquilizers from the vet that had him pretty much asleep the whole way. She said he didn’t have any accidents in the car, didn’t need food or water, etc.: just dozed away & was fine when they reached their destination. Has anyone done this with their cat(s)? I’m concerned about how long the sedatives would last & whether or not my cats would need another dose on such a long trip. I’d prefer not to stop overnight since they’d spend they whole time in a hotel crying & freaking out like they always do when they’re in a new place at first. I’d also feel like I had to drive in total silence the whole time in case even quiet music made things more stressful for the poor girls. And 2 days of silent driving would be VERY stressful for me! (not to mention it would be hard to stay awake.)

Of course the other option is flying them to CA:

I read online that using sedatives on flights usually makes animals sick. Does anyone know anything about that? I feel like the fastest method of getting the cats to their new home would be the BEST way to go, because no matter what, this is going to be very traumatic for them. I just want to get it over with. I have bad anxiety myself, especially when I’m worrying about my babies in a bad situation (yes I’m one of those people that call their pets their "babies" LOL). If anyone has taken cats on a plane before, how expensive is it? Is it the same as buying another ticket for each feline passenger??

Before anyone says it: Don’t worry, I plan to consult my vet on all this! Both my girls need their shots up-to-date before the move as well & I want to make sure they’re healthy & in good condition to travel. I just wanted to get input from everyone on their personal experience too. THANK YOU FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS & ADVICE!!!

08/03/10  10:24am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2166839

My bro moved from Detroit to LA with his two cats a few years back. He went down to Vegas and over instead of through the mountains and did it in the cooler months. JigglyPuff and Mew spent most of their time in their respective crates and every few hours my bro would let them out (in the car) and give them water. I don’t remember if he used a small litterbox or not, but he probably provided them with one over the first night. Don’t remember if he slept in his car or went to a hotel that allows pets. Cats will typically hold bowel movements for a day or three during a move to a new place (pissing normally comes first). The stress of it just plugs them up.

Over the trip, Mew whined and then they both got over it and went quiet for a while. No tranqs or special meds or anything.

Some crates have waterbowl attachments. I don’t know if that’d work or not on a drive. But it’s important that the cats get some form of water. Stress is tolerable, dehydration can kill... Specially in the hotter states.

Back when I had to move, I had to take my cat Puff in my Geo Metro and drive her around while people were checking out the house (she’d attack intruders). A few trips to the park or a school, let her out in the car, pet her. Let her calm down. Come home. This has pretty much stabilized her in a car environment, even to the vet. Unlike my other cats, which whine and wail in a car, Puff will be perfectly silent and will only meow back if I call her name.

08/03/10  09:19pm

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2166992

In my experience I’ve always given my cats a chance to get use to the car before going full out. For example I started off by putting her in the car. Did this for a few weeks. Then put her in the car (in her cage) then turned the car on. I found it less scary for them when the car is off when they are put in it. And after about a week of that I would have my mom drive around the block and back. She really didn’t mind mind the car after a while. She actully loves the car now! She jumps in whenever we get in!

Well that’s just my personal experience. It worked for me! And with the water and litter box ordeal I would suggest to just make some stops and make sure their hydrated and pee free!! I’m not sure what to do bout that one. Anyway best of luck with the move and all!
Rosie

08/04/10  04:52am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Kitty4u8   In reference to Message Id: 2167030

Thought I’d better flesh out my last post. (asked what the details were). My bro drove in December. He didn’t go to any hotels, because he didn’t ever want to leave his cats alone in the car, and instead opted to sleep in-car in rest areas. Mew and Jiggle hadn’t been de-sensitized to long drives like that, and were absolutely fine the entire way with no need for anything expensive/risky like tranqs.

Also, when I de-sensitized Puff to cars, I just popped her in a crate and drove off to some random location. No long-term, ridiculously slow ’put in car, put in car with crate, turn on car’ months long basis. I didn’t have the time or patience for that. Puff is well-rounded and had no traumatic issues over it. Mind you, she’s also not an outdoor cat.

08/04/10  09:13pm

Kitty4u8
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2167176

It’s very cool that your cat adjusted to the car that fast! But not all cats are alike and my friends tried to just go all out and take her cat for a drive, and her cat went into an instant panic. She had to pull over trun the car off and calm her cat down. So I decided to go the better route and take it slower it didn’t take to long it was only about a month and a half. Either way can be affective but in my experience taking it slower is better.
Rosie

08/05/10  01:35am

Roxy_Blade
View Profile

Message To: Scarletsnake   In reference to Message Id: 2166839

I’ve recently travelled with my 2 cats. One is a 4 year old female and the other is a 9 month old male. I travelled at night and then during the day and I would definitely recommend travelling at night if possible! I had Roxy is a small dog crate covered with a towel and Tigger is a regular cat crate, also covered with a towel. He seemed much more bothered then she did, so I would also recommend getting a dog crate.

I hope you have a safe journey

Kayleigh

08/23/10  03:56pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area