Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Iguana_tamer88   KrazyKelli   Iguana_tamer88   KrazyKelli   Mk17rules   Iguana_tamer88   Iguana_tamer88  
 Member  Message

Iguana_tamer88
View Profile

I need help. emergency.

I have a cat that is one year old, he is long hair and has lots of hair balls, but I give him hair ball med. once a week, he has gotten very skinny over the last month. He is up to date on all shots. I wormed him once after noticing he had tape worms, needing to do it again next week two weeks later. Of course he is fixed. I am planning on taking him to the vet to get him wormed again. Does any one know why my cat might be getting skinny? I haven’t noticed him having the runs, vomiting, and he eats and drinks alot. As a matter of fact I just gave him a can of kitten food and he ate it all so he isn’t starving. I feed him Kirkland adult dry cat food. If you have no idea what could be wrong maybe you know a better food? Thanks any suggestions would of course be appreciated.

07/23/10  12:38am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Iguana_tamer88   In reference to Message Id: 2164500

I need help. emergency.

No one but the vet can help you with the weight thing. If the cat is dramatically dropping weight, then there’s a reason behind it outside of the food you give or parasites. Cats can act fine and have huge underlying health issues, never showing it until it’s impossible to hide.

There are a billion ailments out there that can and can’t be cured. As your cat loses weight, see a vet for testing now instead of later.

On a better note, if his weight loss correlates with when the deworming began, he could simply be reacting to that. You are poisoning the cat to get rid of the worms after all. Though I don’t know if mammals respond that way to dewormers, I do know for a fact that lizards do - depending on what worms they have.

Either way, it’s way too early in the cat’s life for it to be losing weight like that. The vet will help. Tell them your concern and if it’s not the dewormers, they can do further blood and stool tests - or educate you on the type of dewormer you’re using. The internet can be very misguiding and everyone on it can make you dread about something unfounded. I can promise you that if you go to other forums, like cat-only forums out there, you’ll get over 5 people telling you about things like bone marrow cancer or Feline leukemia, then freak you out about something completely unrelated to your problem.

For now, do a daily monitor of your cat’s weight (weigh yourself, then yourself with the cat, then minus your weight). This should be done at the same time of day, as a cat’s weight can shift throughout the day due to feedings and bowel movements. That way you can keep track of how quickly your cat loses or gains the lbs and it will better help the vet if the problem continues or gets better.

07/25/10  06:02pm

Iguana_tamer88
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2164934

I need help. emergency.

Well it feels as though he may be gaining a little weight, but wont change my mind on checking with his vet. He started getting a little fatter after I gave him a little more hair ball meds. and nutritional supplements. So I don’t know I haven’t noticed any sign of Feline leukemia or distemper so I hope thats a good sign. So thanks Krazy Kelli I will keep all updated. I hope everything will be fine, I want him to be the first cat of my own that I can watch grow old lol. since my moms cat she had since he was eight weeks old and before I was born died at the age of 15 just about five or so years ago. So I always wanted a cat I have for that long. Thanks for trying to answer.

07/26/10  12:44am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Iguana_tamer88   In reference to Message Id: 2165001

I need help. emergency.

Man, I’ve had tons of cats that lived 15+, half of which lived to be around 20. All the really old cats were tabbies, and two were related. Something about tabbies and their mudded blood pool making them longer-lasting. The only cat I lost to a disease was Fluffy in 1998, who died at age 5 of cancer. So long as the cat is more or less indoors and gets their shots, you really have nothing to lose. My current older cats are 13 and 14, one a russianblue and the other a raggamuffin mix.

Update on the vet when you get around to it, will ya?

What’s all this about hairball meds, btw? I heard that petroleum jelly is great for helping a cat digest hairballs if given once a week, and is very easy to administer (the cat will eventually learn to lick it off your finger). And cats naturally eat grass to help them digest or better handle hairballs when they come up. Catgrass is easily found at stores, and cat-oats are easy to grow. Lastly, though I’m sure you’ve done this, combing down the cat once in a while will help.

07/27/10  04:05pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2165359

I need help. emergency.

my cat had that same problem we found out she had Kidney Failure and Liver Disease. But she sadley didnt make it we had to put her to sleep when she was only 1 :( but i am not sure i was just sayin that my cat had the same problem with the loss of weight. Hope your kitty doesnt have that problem . good luck hope the kitty is gunna be okay :)

07/28/10  03:42am

Iguana_tamer88
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 2165359

I need help. emergency.

yeah hes been eating grass a lot lately

08/09/10  12:49am

Iguana_tamer88
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2165443

I need help. emergency.

I hope not because he is my companion animal and I get very lonely when he is out side. I love it when I’m walking up from about three houses down and I whisper, Twoface, and then he looks my way and comes running toward me and then walks me home. lol

08/09/10  12:52am

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area