Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cats Forum

Me-Me   KrazyKelli   Dragongirl6   Rae rae   Me-Me   Rae rae   PrettyBoy   PrettyBoy   Peeper gal  
 Member  Message

Me-Me
View Profile

Mystery illness?

Ok so my cat is sick. Shadow is a neutered male and almost 7 years old. He has had diarreah for about 3-4 months now and he acts like he is going to throw up [hairball] at least twice a week. We [me and my mom] have taken him to three different vets. About a month ago, he had x-rays that showed he had a lot of gas and inflamed intestines. And a fecal that came back clean. The vet gave us two different kinds of meds to give him as well as an antibiotic and anti-inflamitory shot. We gave him his meds [which lasted about a week] and there was no change. So then, we took him to a different vet a week after the meds were all gone. We gave them all his background info [runs, wanting to vomit, etc]. They also did a fecal and gave us some kind of powder to put on the food that was supposed to help with the mystery illness as well as pills to give him when he started to want to throw up. They also told us to give him pineapple yogurt to help with his bowles. We gave him the pills, powder, and pineapple yogurt and there is still no change. We changed the food multiple times and reduced the amount of wet food we give them...and still no change. I don’t know what could be wrong. Any ideas?? We have 4 other cats besides him and he is the only one that has the problem. All his shots are up to date and gets flee medecine regularly.

Thanks in advance!
Megan

01/22/09  02:17am

KrazyKelli
View Profile

Message To: Me-Me   In reference to Message Id: 1936910

Mystery illness?

Well, the major question is what foods have you changed to and how quickly did you change them?

I had a cat like that and it turned out that he was lactose intolerant and had a very weak system that repelled many things. I then spent a lifetime of kitty vomiting and diarreah finding a catfood that would work for him. Try looking for stuff with no fish and no milk ingredients. Chicken is the best one to work with. Aim for foods where meat (chicken and beef) is the prime ingredient. Aim for foods where there are little to no grains.

Two I found that worked marginally well for my cat were Max cat foods and Blue Buffalo, both of which cost a fortune. And, blowing over everything I just said - and I still can’t find a reason for why it works - a catfood brand I tried that reduced vomiting and completely stopped diarrhea was Whiskas chicken flavor. I always aim for dry foods. Though if I throw in the occasional pouch or can, I always aim for the same brand of food as the dry food I’m feeding.

Another thing to try is to feed your cat small portions. Due to stress and certain eating habits, some cats gorge themselves completely full as quickly as they can. This is especially true for multicat households as there’s sometimes one cat who feels that eating is competition; they don’t have a clue that their next meal is around the corner. This will also lead to upset bowels, diarreah, and vomiting.

Lastly, since it was brought up first, always transition your foods. Moving too quickly from one food brand to another always results in an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting.

01/22/09  11:03am

Dragongirl6
View Profile

Message To: KrazyKelli   In reference to Message Id: 1937052

Mystery illness?

What type of food are you currently feeding? I would recommend Royal Canin Sensitive Stomach, or else a prescription diet that is designed for cats with sensitive stomachs/allergies.

I would stop feeding wet food all together--dry only. It’s easier to digest, more nutritious, better for their teeth, and doesn’t have as much moisture so it should help with the diarrhea.

Most importantly, he needs to STAY on one food. Constant food changes will cause diarrhea even if the cat isn’t exactly "sick".

It sounds like it might be something like FIP (Feline Infectious Paritonitis). Not much is known about the disease, except that it seems to be genetic (cats from the same family tend to get it if they are genetically prone) and that it usually shows up before 18 months of age (though more and more cases in cats over 6 have been showing up as well). It causes diarrhea, blood in the stool, vomiting, etc.

Research is being done to see if it is contagious through stool, so make sure your litter box stays VERY clean (if at all possible he should have his own litter box). It’s not been proven to be contagious but veterinarians are deciding that it could be a risk.

There isn’t really an accurate test for FIP. Basically, it is "caused" by the Corona Virus. The vast majority of cats get the Corona Virus at some point (like a cold for kitties), but cats predisposed to have FIP react to the virus differently and can’t fight it off the same way. The test isn’t accurate because it tests for Corona, which could be present in a cat that doesn’t have FIP at all.

I obviously can’t tell you that this is what your cat has, but a lot of vets don’t know what to do with FIP or misdiagnose it. It might be good to bring it up if it hasn’t been already.

Link
Link

You might also suggest that he be prescribed Albon, a treatment for microscopic intestinal parasites. Something like Coccidea would also produce these symptoms and sometimes doesn’t necessarily show up on a fecal. Albon is very safe and relatively cheap. It’s sort of like de-worming a cat.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your kitty, I hope it isn’t FIP and that he recovers soon.

01/23/09  09:08pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Dragongirl6   In reference to Message Id: 1938128

Mystery illness?

wow, that’s crazy my friend JUST went through the same thing. she got a young (6month old) male cat for her husband for his birthday. she brought him to my work got him vaccinated, neutered, wormed, the whole nine yards! he still had diarrhea. so i told her, after asking the vet, what she could give him over the counter. he still had the runs a week later. so she talked the woman she got him from into taking him to the vet. that woman found out from her vet that he had giardia. so my friend treated that. then he still had the runs 2 weeks later. so the woman took him back to the vet and found that he then had coccidia. so she treated him for that. later on, he still had the runs. she then discovered he had tapeworms and had him wormed for that....still had the runs!! so my friend then took him to her vet and he basically gave her some meds that’s basically to reculture his digestive tract. now, a week later, he is finally back to normal. he just didn’t have the proper bacteria in his gut to digest his food correctly. anything can cause this though, intestinal worms, changing of foods too quickly, coccidia, giardia, or just a lack of the "goods" in his intestines. some cats need a little more tlc when it comes to their bowels. i would suggest that if and when you go to the vet again, make them check for coccidia and giardia. these things do show up on a fecal, however some vets don’t check these under a microscope like mine does, actually most of them have a test for those kinds of things. so good luck and keep us posted.

01/26/09  11:04pm

Me-Me
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 1940489

Mystery illness?

Thanks for all the help so far. We are going to take him to the vet in a week or two and have him tested for coccidia and giardia. Right now we’re adding some sort of charcole type thing to his food to try to clean gim out. I give him dry food in small portions through the course of the day. He still has the cough [like he is wanting to throw up]. We are giving him Iams sensative stomach [or something along those lines]. But the diarreah still persists. ???

Megan

01/28/09  12:33pm

Rae rae
View Profile

Message To: Me-Me   In reference to Message Id: 1941519

Mystery illness?

i normally would NOT tell anyone this without them seeing their animal in the clinic, but.....you can try a half ML of antidiarrheal medicine. one we commonly use is just the walmart equate brand. you can do this 2-3 times a day. as soon as the stools are firm, stop because you can make them become constipated. i would really recommend the vet first. most will not give you this type of advice over the phone. and by the way- NEVER EVER EVER EVER TRY TO PLAY DOCTOR WITH YOUR CAT!!!!! sometimes people like to give their dogs things like a baby aspirin. this will kill a cat. i know our vet gives cats this medicine. the main ingredient in it is loperidine. i still recommend talking to the vet before you give kitty anything. this of course is just treating the symptoms and not the problem. another thing about the stuff you’re giving him to "clean his system out". that could actually be bad. if he is lacking the bacteria in his gut needed for digesting things and that’s the cause of this diarrhea, then cleaning his gut will just make it worse. you will be taking even more good bacteria out of his digestive system. if he’s still throwing up, or gagging like he wants to, then you might actually have something pretty serious. i probably wouldn’t wait 2 weeks to take him. things can go from bad to deadly in just a few short days with a cat.

01/28/09  07:06pm

PrettyBoy
View Profile

Message To: Rae rae   In reference to Message Id: 1941800

Mystery illness?

Well he still has the diarreah. No change at all. He went through a phase where when he would get mad and meow/hiss/scream really loud he would end up losing control of his bowels. Like he would just crap all over the place. I don’t understand this. None of the 8 vets we took him to could diagnose his illness. They have done all sorts of blood work, x-rays, fecals, etc. I am beginning to think he’ll never get better.

Megan

12/05/10  02:18pm

PrettyBoy
View Profile

Message To: PrettyBoy   In reference to Message Id: 2191126

Mystery illness?

Above post is by "Me-Me" I had to make a new account.

Megan

12/05/10  02:19pm

Peeper gal
View Profile

Message To: PrettyBoy   In reference to Message Id: 2191127

Mystery illness?

uh oh i need to check my cat he is one year old has diarrhea and try to puke every morning id try asking the vet if you can give cats cranberry pills they have good bacteria

08/21/11  01:49pm

Back to Cats Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area