Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

CarpetPythons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Guest101   Takahiro111   Guest101   Takahiro111   Milldabeast519   Penelopes Mom  

Member  Message

Guest101
View Profile

Hungry python

I have a mature python who I have not been handeling very often for about 6 months now. I’ve also only been feeding her a rat every couple of weeks. As a result of this she has been very hungry, I got her out last week and fed her but got bitten while handeling her due to her hunger. I have just fed her and despite this as soon as I open her cage she is looking for food and thinks my hand is food. Before this recent period she has been very docile and tame for many years rarely biting but is now always trying to bite me as a feeding response. Is there a way I can fix this or do I have to go through being bitten repeatedly until she works out I’m not food?

01/14/16  04:40am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Guest101   In reference to Message Id: 2316544

Hungry python

Things like this can happen from underfeeding or feeding in the cages or even less interaction with the animal. You said you feed her a rat every couple of weeks does that mean one rat every 3-5 weeks if so she’s still hungry maybe so try offering food every 10-14 days depending on the size of the snakes. Since she’s a biter then before trying to hold her get a snake hook to rub her side a little to know your not food then pick her up. She must’ve gotten use to not being handled so she’ll get grumpy if you try to pick her up. Try feeding in a separate bin and you’ll need a lot of confidence...don’t be scared about getting bit because they can sense fear lol just reach in their but during this overall process you will get bit but you can also purchase gloves for handling but since its been a while since she was handled it’s gonna take time and she should mellow out once she gets used to handling. Things like this doesn’t work 100% for everyone because it depends on the animals personality itself and every animal is different.

01/14/16  01:38pm

Guest101
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316550

Hungry python

Thanks for the advice. I used to feed her in a different tank but have stopped recently, and the main issue is getting her out of the tank. Once she is out she is okay and very rarely bites. I’ll try using a snake hook but I think I’ll just have to get bit a few times

01/14/16  11:58pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Guest101   In reference to Message Id: 2316553

Hungry python

Your welcome if she is okay once you get her out I’m pretty sure with regular handling she mellow out overtime.

01/15/16  01:32pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Guest101   In reference to Message Id: 2316553

Hungry python

you know snakes are like women... its all about confidence... just bust in that tank and grab her when her heads out of striking distance.my 12lb female does the same thing hissing and smacking me until she realizes it just me. i find if your confident and thorough with your movements its never an issues. just dont hesitate they sense that. plus stop live feedings and you willl get a much calmer snake.i wish i could get all mine on frozen.

03/23/16  01:12pm

Penelopes Mom
View Profile

Message To: Milldabeast519   In reference to Message Id: 2317537

Hungry python

When you say regular handling, what does that entail? If I feed mine on a Wednesday I usually don’t handle her until Friday is it safe to handle on Saturday and Sunday and Monday or should I skip a day in between? I have a 6 foot jungle carpet python that’s very tame & pretty mellow but I want her to get use to me handling her and I want to be more confident as well!

06/11/16  12:33pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area