Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

CarpetPythons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Brianapplegate44   Cphill58   Brianapplegate44   PinkyPie   Brianapplegate44   Cphill58   Brianapplegate44   Cphill58   Brianapplegate44   ChubbyGranny  

Member  Message

Brianapplegate44
View Profile

Stupid snake help

I have a 2 1/2 yr old jungle cp and he seems to just be sitting in his water bowl for days on end. And I rarely find him in his hide on the heading pad. I could use some assistance I don’t know what is wrong or if there is something wrong.

Thanks , brian

12/20/11  09:06am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Brianapplegate44   In reference to Message Id: 2247821

Stupid snake help

I am not a carpet python expert by any means...but my retic will stay in his water to digest meals and then defecate in the water. What did you feed and when??

Also it is the winter season and a lot of different species of snakes are slowing down and cooling off ..my retic wont eat for another few months if he behaves the same as last year. He is much less active and I check on him just to make sure he is still alive ....lol

I have also heard that soaking is a sign of other issues ...such as possibly a mite or tick / parasite issue. Check your snake carefully in the loose folds under the chin and in between the scales where blood is easily available...also the vent area.
Of all my snakes only one soaks ,the Brazilian rainbow boa, and sometimes the RTB. But not days on end .Maybe a few hours or a day then they move out to other areas. Also a shed may be coming on so you would have to pos a lot more details.

Merry Christmas...good luck

12/23/11  02:36pm

Brianapplegate44
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2248236

Stupid snake help

Thanks alot. Happy holidays

12/24/11  03:29pm

PinkyPie
View Profile

Message To: Brianapplegate44   In reference to Message Id: 2248361

Stupid snake help

Make sure your temps arent too hot either.The other reason a snake will soak is to cool off...My moron friend had a ball python that kept soaking and then died.I kept telling her to get a digital thermometer to make sure those temps were right especially in a 10 gal..Turns out she fried her snake.Poor thing couldnt cool off except in its water bowl and it still wasnt enough.

01/03/12  09:17am

Brianapplegate44
View Profile

Message To: PinkyPie   In reference to Message Id: 2249494

Stupid snake help

Yeah he’s doing much better not I rarely see him in the water bowl. he now has something going on with his head. It. Seems like dry skin. It like a white powder on hi head. When ever I spray him down it goes away and as soon as he’s dry air ones back thanks alot

01/03/12  02:06pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Brianapplegate44   In reference to Message Id: 2249527

Stupid snake help

Our vet had ointment for that with the rainbow boa ....looks like excema...really dry skin. Powdery and cracked. Some human baby mineral oil will help if you don’t have a vet or the $$
just a small foam Q tip will wipe enough on the skin and be harmless. try it every day or two for a week and longer if need be.
Are your heat lamps close to the snake and drying the skin ?? You may want to look into the cause more closely.

01/05/12  03:46am

Brianapplegate44
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2249748

Stupid snake help

Thanks I’ll try that. Did u say I could use baby oil. And my heat lamp is a good 2 to 3 feet away from it.
Thanks so much

01/07/12  06:46pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Brianapplegate44   In reference to Message Id: 2250168

Stupid snake help

No ...not baby oil....Mineral Oil. it is found in the infant section where baby foods and pedilite are sold. It is actually used for babies when they are constipated/ have diaper rash etc...and it has other uses as well. the point is ...it is safe for skin in small amounts ....even olive or vegetable oil is safe in small amounts. I have also used carmex lip balm as a healing aid for nose/snout rub.

01/09/12  06:16am

Brianapplegate44
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2250329

Stupid snake help

Hahah thanks alot man. I’ll
Try it out thanks
Brian

01/09/12  08:29am

ChubbyGranny
View Profile

Message To: Brianapplegate44   In reference to Message Id: 2250335

Stupid snake help

or also try e46 cream that helps with human ex ma so if it is harmful to humans so it wont be to snakes :) let me know if it helps

11/08/12  06:24am

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area