Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Ashmash   Cornsnake4   Ashmash   Jsawyer   Africabound   Junglecarpet81  
 Member  Message

Ashmash
View Profile

Just got a rescue. Help!

So we just got a CP from a friend that didn’t want it anymore, and he’s extremely skinny and about 3 ft long. Im not sure how long they’re had him, but they said he eats one mouse a week and is a bit "fiesty". We got him yesterday and he hasn’t struck or tried to bite but he is certainly SKINNY! Our petstore is closed on the weekends so I can’t get him anything until Monday. He had a lot of shed on him and he’s probably dehydrated and he sounds wheezy.

How should we go about re-habilitating this guy? And what’s the best housing for him?

06/18/11  05:02pm

Cornsnake4
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2225581

Just got a rescue. Help!

well they usually perfer mice over rats since he is in poor condition i would recomend frozen/thawed mice make sure there is plenty of water also they are arborial so a vertical tank should be used with plenty of climbing branches and hide holes to make him feel secure in his poor state
good luck

07/20/11  07:07pm

Ashmash
View Profile

Message To: Cornsnake4   In reference to Message Id: 2229885

Just got a rescue. Help!

Well he’s turned out to be a great eater. He is getting fatter and moving around his cage a lot more. He still needs help shedding though. How do I fix this?

And thanks for you reply!

07/23/11  11:41am

Jsawyer
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2230220

Just got a rescue. Help!

you can try putting him in some luke warm water or misting him, always worked for my snakes.

07/23/11  01:17pm

Africabound
View Profile

Message To: Jsawyer   In reference to Message Id: 2230234

Just got a rescue. Help!

Yeah, make sure he has a water dish in his enclosure that is large enough for him to soak in, and mist the cage regularly when you notice he’s getting ready to shed.

07/24/11  04:37pm

Junglecarpet81
View Profile

Message To: Ashmash   In reference to Message Id: 2225581

Just got a rescue. Help!

Once hes back to full health try to get him on rats because once he gets to a good size you’d be better off feeding one rat rat thats equal to three mice etc. At PETCO three mice are the same price as one medium size rat.

08/28/11  12:09pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area