Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Corn snake   Africabound   Africabound   LoudWithNeedlefeet  
 Member  Message

Corn snake
View Profile

So going to build an enclosure. Ideas

So I’m wanting to build my 6ft male carpet an enclosure.. I know they like to climb and what he is in now he has plenty of floor space but nothing to climb. So I was thinking of building something like 4ft long 4-5 ft tall 2 ft wide. Putting a large peice of drift wood in the middle with branches sticking off and then maybe a shelf half way up that he can bask in.. Putting a heat pad between ply wood on the floor and then hanging a lamp at the top with mesh around it. Thanks for any comments.

05/23/11  10:21am

Africabound
View Profile

Message To: Corn snake   In reference to Message Id: 2220554

I’ve heard that an enclosure for a snake should have at least as many square feet of floor space as the snake is long. Carpet pythons, however, will also use a lot of the climbing space if it is provided. It is a pretty good idea to give your carpet some branches or above groud hides to climb around in. My jungle carpet python loves to hang along the branches that are in his enclosure. You also mentioned that you’re using a heat pad and a heat lamp, which is a good idea because that sounds like a nice size enclosure. It’s a good idea to have more than one heat source if it’s a large enclosure, especially if the snake spends time in trees. Heat from the pad won’t go into the air too much, and can only really be taken in by the snake laying on it. Heat lamps are different. Be sure to post pictures of the cage once it’s done! It sounds like you already know what you’re doing, so good luck!

05/23/11  02:26pm

Africabound
View Profile

I’ve heard that an enclosure for a snake should have at least as many square feet of floor space as the snake is long. Carpet pythons, however, will also use a lot of the climbing space if it is provided. It is a pretty good idea to give your carpet some branches or above groud hides to climb around in. My jungle carpet python loves to hang along the branches that are in his enclosure. You also mentioned that you’re using a heat pad and a heat lamp, which is a good idea because that sounds like a nice size enclosure. It’s a good idea to have more than one heat source if it’s a large enclosure, especially if the snake spends time in trees. Heat from the pad won’t go into the air too much, and can only really be taken in by the snake laying on it. Heat lamps are different. Be sure to post pictures of the cage once it’s done! It sounds like you already know what you’re doing, so good luck!

05/23/11  02:26pm

LoudWithNeedlefeet
View Profile

I keep my 5ft male in a wooden enclosure measuring 8ft long by 4ft tall and 4ft wide. i have above ground hidding areas, hollow logs on the ground, 3 basking areas, tall grasses, and multiple slender branches. i hardly ever observe him resting on the ground; he sleeps, basks, eats and even drinks all while in his branches. whenever i open the cage door he promptly slithers out of whatever burrow he’s in and greats me. i think he’s extremely happy in the cage, as i have seen many people that keep adult snakes in cages like the one you described, and the animals are lethargic and depressed looking.

06/18/11  02:19pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area