Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

CarpetPythons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

OzZy_101   Baylor13   OzZy_101   OwnerSince2010   Baylor13   OzZy_101   Dracen knights   OzZy_101   Dracen knights   OzZy_101   Baylor13   Brianapplegate44   Nate F  

Member  Message

OzZy_101
View Profile

Red tail vs. JCP

hello y’all, i am a long term member to repiczone but i haven’t been active for years. I am thinking about getting another snake but i simply cant decide on a red tail or JCP, i know its no use to ask for your guys opinions since i AM posting on the carpet python forum :P but i would like to hear why you guys like your carpet pythons so much vs other snakes. I currently own a boa myself but its a Venezuelan Rainbow so... haha. I am not a Nobie to snakes, i know about the size/ feeding/ temp requirements etc. i just wanna know why you guys like them so much, maybe post a few pics? meanwhile I’m gonna skim down through other threads.

Thanks !
Trev-o

01/13/11  09:01pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101�   In reference to Message Id: 2198226

Red tail vs. JCP

The choice in the end is always going to be yours but I will give you my thoughts on it. I have one CP and 4 RTB’s. The CP is full grown at 7ft, my smallest RTB is 2ft, then 6Ft then I have two 9ft ones. The question is how much do you want to spend on them with time, money and how much room are you willing to give up. My CP cage is 4ft tall 3ft wide and 1ft deep, this is all she will ever need. RT’s on the other hand need ground space, but giving them something to climb on is always good too. In all my years I have only once gotten a call to rescue a CP where as with RT’s I can’t tell you how many calls I have gotten. These are huge animals that most simply cant handle. My rule with the RT is once they are over 6ft I wont handle them unless someone else is with me, this is only because they are huge snakes and if they want to they can kill a person. My CP I have not problem having her out alone and she loves going to pet stores. People are much more willing to let a slender snake like a CP by them then a massive snake like a RT that looks at most dogs as food. Another thing is how much time are you willing to give to cleaning after them. My large RT’s make my boxer’s poo look small, where my CP is just a simple take the paper towel out and put frest in my RT is about an hour process if when they two big ones go. They also love to poo in the water dish, no not little dishes we are talking about Jumbo Jumbo Cat litter pans, and after they finish they tend to dump it all over. My CP has a small litter pan to soak in but tends to keep it in the pan and her poo in the cage.
Feeding is going to be another issue. Do you want to feed a few Jumbo rats each week or one med rat. The cost on that gets rather high with the larger ones. Heating is another thing. How many lights are you willing to have on for the right temps to be achieved.
Again you will make the final choice but with any snake do a few months of research before you get them. It will save you a ton of pain and make the snake healthy and happy at the start.

01/14/11  01:26pm

OzZy_101
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2198321

Red tail vs. JCP

I knew about the feeding, size etc i have been researching for a while but you gave me the kind of information you just don’t find on the Internet to often unless your talking to some directly, jumbo poo’s. its funny that is something i never really thought of haha, i was thinking the carpet python would be better, easier to handle etc. but as far as temperament how do they compare, i read that carpet pythons can be rather nippy but also read that about rainbow boas, and mine just isn’t. all depends on the snake too i guess. but what are your carpets temperaments like ?

01/15/11  10:50am

OwnerSince2010
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101�   In reference to Message Id: 2198502

Red tail vs. JCP

Jungle carpets are typically only nippy at a young age, and grow out of that. That being said, I have 2 7 month old JCP’s and neither have even tried to bite me.

I had a similar debate, went with JCP’s ’cause I just <3 the color on them.

01/15/11  09:05pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: OwnerSince2010   In reference to Message Id: 2198597

Red tail vs. JCP

When I got my rescue CP she was in a 10 gallon cage, at 7ft she was not happy. She was only handled when she was fed and the guy had her for 5 years. It took about a month of nightly handling but she is being great. My first RT still gets nippy and I have had her for 5 years. Like said before tho all snakes are different.

01/15/11  10:32pm

OzZy_101
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2198618

Red tail vs. JCP

Good thing you Rescued her, i didn’t even think a 7’ snake could fit in a 10 gallon cage, i moved my rainbow boa out of his 20 gallon when he hit 3’ because i thought it was way to small or him and i felt bad for leaving it that Long ! you have any pics ?

01/16/11  10:41am

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101�   In reference to Message Id: 2198693

Red tail vs. JCP

well personally I have 4 carpets and one RTB but while I have both by far my favorite is.....
I have never found a RTB with the colors or hand tame personality of any of my carpets

and my RTB...

I also like the fact that after having some of my snakes 5+ years they can even be handled and carried around by my 3 year old son.

here is a pic of him in front of my oldest snakes tank which is currently in his room...

My 3 year old can’t hold the RTB due to pure size and weight... while he is hand tame is just to much snake for him....

01/16/11  06:24pm

OzZy_101
View Profile

Message To: Dracen knights   In reference to Message Id: 2198801

Red tail vs. JCP

Nice setup, what kind of substrate is that ?

01/16/11  07:23pm

Dracen knights
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101�   In reference to Message Id: 2198811

Red tail vs. JCP

LOL it’s top soil... I know I know not recommended but I had live plants in there for over a year before they where to crushed to grow any more. so then the fake plants came in... he has been in that setup for almost 2 years with no issues so i haven’t bothered to change the substrate out.... the tank is 130 gallon

01/16/11  07:32pm

OzZy_101
View Profile

Message To: Dracen knights   In reference to Message Id: 2198812

Red tail vs. JCP

haha, whatever works eh.

01/17/11  05:46pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101�   In reference to Message Id: 2199009

Red tail vs. JCP

CP cage 4ft tall 2ft wide and 1ft deep

Both my large RTB’s in the shower, yes they take showers together because it’s just easier when I clean their cages.

The female and I

01/17/11  11:40pm

Brianapplegate44
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2199086

Red tail vs. JCP

Jcp all the way. Nothing better. Retails get way to big and there a bit snappy. Not saying jp aren’t snappy but it’s super easy to tame them out. Good luck

01/07/12  09:48pm

Nate F
View Profile

Message To: OzZy_101�   In reference to Message Id: 2198226

Red tail vs. JCP

My carpet python has a great personallity. They are beautiful!!! They can be nippy as babies, but they always tame down as they get older-if you hold them. BTW I would choose a jungle carpet python.

04/13/12  05:47pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area