Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Tagney89   JackAsp   Tagney89  
 Member  Message

Tagney89
View Profile

Retained Eye cap.

So my 3.5 ft jungle carpet shed, and one eye cap remains on the snake. It was my fault, I completely just did not up the humidity like I normally do for his shed process. Anyways, I still mist his cage everyday and monitor it with a gauge. He is still very head shy, and it is nearly impossible to keep him from moving while I try to remove the eye cap gently with a cotton swab after I bath him in water for about half hour. My question is should I make another attempt at removing the eye cap with the cotton swab again or should I wait for him to shed and hopefully it will come off with the next shed?(Don’t know how accurate that statement is since I heard it from a guy on youtube). Or I also read about people who have used tape to remove. Please give me some advice guys! Thanks.

01/06/11  08:14pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Tagney89   In reference to Message Id: 2196794

Retained Eye cap.

Tape usually works, but... when it fails, the eye is damaged. Not worth the gamble.

The longest it ever took me to remove an eyecap was on this girl:

and it took thirteen days. Granted, she was 20 years old at the time, so that may not have helped, but I once fought a quite simlar issue for seven days with a bullsnake who wasn’t even two yet. You just shrug and keep swabbing it. When it gets loose, you’ll feel it shift, and not only that, you’ll feel WHAT MADE IT SHIFT! Although, really, once it’s loose, problem solved anyway.

01/08/11  02:31am

Tagney89
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2197022

Retained Eye cap.

FINALLY! I was able to nudge it off this morning. After about 20 minutes of swabbing at it with a q-tip, some of the side of the eye cap was coming up. I know you should never use teasers however, carefully I was able to grab the eye cab and pull it off with ease. Just peeled right off with no damage or harm done to the carpet python. Stressed relieved! thanks for the advice!

01/10/11  04:17pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area