Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58   Cphill58   BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58   BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58   BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58   BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58   BigBoyzBoids   Cphill58  
 Member  Message

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Rescued carpet with mites

i was just wondering if anyone has dealt with a snake that had mites to the extent my new carpet python has. a guy interested in a ball python i had offered me a 3.5 foot supposed jungle carpet python for trade. me thinking about how beautiful they were when i seen them at my breeders and already having one carpet decided i would like to take the animal. ok well the guy shows up last night around 7pm and i stupidly just take him and the snake into my reptile room to show how i keep my animals and so forth. well upon him handing me the snake and noticing his eyes were sunken in this guy tells me hes dehydrated lol. well i glance to see if i could see anything and see nothing and put him in a tank and show him my collection and how docile my burms are. well upon the 45 minutes of talking with the guy about repties he informs me hes been doing this for years and his granpa has kept snakes for years and he uses vaseline when he has mite problems. well he leaves and i setup my new guy/girls home and notice a decently sized pest on my hand. upon further ispection i see he has mites and that is the cause of his sunken in eyes. i know i made a huge mistake not looking closer at it originally but i still would have gotten it. anyhow i ended up buying the snake off the guy and treating with reptile relief and provent a mite. he is real calm and handleable i just want to know how bad has anyone seen a snake with mites recover. i worry for the poor animal and also how to sex a carpet python where as the guy didnt know his sex and presumed its a male. ill post pictures later

11/28/10  03:59pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2189810

Hey big ...I followed this procedure to the letter except for 1 thing ...I accidentally doubled the dose of ivermectin. I have had no mites in over 10-14 days and I am ready to treat again just in case. No ill affects and I would be happy to walk you through this procedure. Today they are still in a hospital tank on paper towels

I also saturated a wash cloth and completely washed the snakes from head to tail with the solution for about 10 minutes allowing them to crawl through the wet cloth in my hands over and over. With snakes you can even touch the eye caps and not worry. I was concerned as they flicked their tongues out but I have no ill affects to date.

I was going to buy Pro Vent until I researched Mellisa KAplans pages ...I have read her stuff numerous times and find it very reliable. I have a horse and tack / feed store close to me and they had the exact product for about 36.00...add some beta-dine and a large bore hypodermic to extract the solution as per the instructions I was out the door for 60.00...expensive , maybe ...no mites , PRICELESS !

The initial discovery on an albino bull snake was alarming as I house 3 bulls together...panic struck I moved fast and immediately got the enclosure outside, lucky for me it is freezing in Utah. next got the snakes in a 20 gallon long and clean paper towels / no decor ...just a water bowl that had been bleached. Uth back in action and the next day I had the materials to start the treatment.

Read this page carefully and call me if you need further help
Melissa Kaplan

Chris (cp)
(626) 222-6868
Verizon cell ...call or text

11/28/10  07:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2189864

Snakes will and do recover from the bites ...the beta dine solution helps take away the irritation and also disinfects the wounds / bites. Once the parasite is removed / eradicated they will usually spring back remarkably.

A friend of mine rescues iguanas and always bathes them in beta dine or iodine diluted like a medium sun tea with water. ...that does the trick initially. Mites drown easily within 15 minutes of soaking and sink in the water. The hard part is doing the routine every 10-14 days to catch any newly hatched mites.
I had to put my snakes in shoe box size Tupperware boxes with lids to keep them in.

The ivermectin kills the mites on contact ...including inside the enclosure, yet it won’t hurt the snake. From the sounds of it you might have to be very alert in regards to your other snakes too. Mites like to hitchhike on clothes and other things until they find a meal.

I sprayed the enclosure completely wet and allowed it to dry out on the porch...whilst the snakes were in the Tupperware boxes soaking ...even in the near freezing temps it took about a day for the enclosure to dry.

If I think of anything else I’ll be back

Cp

11/28/10  10:51pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2189912

the jungle carpet i rescued with bad mites. you can see the swelling round his eyes treated him with provent a mite and reptile relief and today i see no mites crawling on him or on the paper towels. and any ideas on how to sex this i can sex my burms and boas but dunno about carpets. and if he is a mix or 100%jungle

my little irian jaya male

11/29/10  02:06pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2190008

Do you use probes to sex your snakes...?? I need to get a set and learn to use them ...i have seen videos on you Tube and it’s not that hard.

The swelling will go down if there is no infection ...betadine solution is an antiseptic that will offer relief...I don’t know about the Retile Relief or what’s in it. Guess i will have to stop in a Pet Stupid ....LOL

Good Luck

11/30/10  12:55am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2190143

from what i understand reptile relief only kills the feeding stages of mites not the eggs and non feeders i use reptile relief to kill the feeders and relieve some stress of him while his enclosure was airing out from the provent a mite. provent a mite leaves a non harmful residue upon drying that lasts for 30 days and kills the mites. i called and talked to the maker of provent a mite who told me as long as the enclosure is aired out with no fumes the snakes would be safe. my presonal breeder uses provent a mite and suggested it to me. although kinda pricey it works and i feel its worth it. though i hear walmart sells equate bedding spray that has the same active ingredients just not exact levels and is supposed to work and is alot cheaper. never used it though i may buy some and if a break out happens again i might try it .

11/30/10  12:21pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2190200

Yes ...I have a friend that used the product from Walmart , it’s in the camping /sporting section....the name escapes me at the moment ...please remind me what it’s called.

The product comes in different forms and strengths...a spray for your skin ...and a liquid or spray that treats the clothes/tents/sleeping bags / whatever ...the second one is the one to use and it is way cheaper. Once it is dry it is safe for the reptile also.

What I like so much about the Ivermectin that I recommended is that it is safe even wet ...but again not much will kill the eggs until they hatch. Did you read the part about a cat or dog collar piece in the enclosure...very interesting??

Cp

12/02/10  03:00am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2190525

ya i read about the cat/dog collar thing but amongst doing research ive read its a bad thing also most of the collars carry some kind of chemical thats harmful and i tried it once and got no results. the spray is equate i belive its like 4 dollars or so its a lice spray and stuff. if you look on the internet some people suggest getting shots form a vet to help rid of mites but what they fail to tell you is that its potentialy harmful/deadly to the snake. which is another reason i use provent a mite. i got worried about mixed reviews that i read on provent a mite and called the company and talked to the head guy and he told me about if the snake inhales too much of the fumes it could have serious neurological problems or even death. but as long as the directions are followed they will be safe. needles to say a breeder i know who has been in the business for years will spray tha animals real quick and light with the spray and instantly fans the fumes away from them and has yet to have any problems with his snakes. but i suggest doing what the can says it worked for me and the owner says they are the only product that can say eradicates mites and mean it. they have alot of research and approvals on it.

12/02/10  10:38am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2190553

Sounds good to me...

Hope everything works out for the best.

Cp

12/03/10  11:03am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2189810

well the mites are gone and he/she just shed. eyes are almost normal but where they were swollen up and everything they are still a little white around the edgesof the eyes socket like its still a little irritated or something. what do i do about this he looks 99% better i cant say 100 due to the eye sockets. any advice is appreciated

12/09/10  09:37am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2191780

Did you give it a bath in the betadine solution??
Like a flea bite it will take some time to heal ...maybe another shed cycle.

Cp

12/09/10  10:08am

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2191783

ya i did bath it and they arent even that bad i just wanted to ask opinions/advice. its 4 years old and the guy still has him on f/t mice not rats. and im trying to get it to switch but it isnt working yet lol. all its eaten for me is a couple hopper mice in the past 2-3 weeks.

12/09/10  01:24pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2191799

If you have the ability to keep some mice you can scent the rat with the substrate that a male mouse will mark in a day or two. Male mice really are pugnet and in no time the rat will smell the same if rubbed with the substrate...I use kiln dried pine for my rats and mice... And if the snake gets hungry enough it will eat.

Cp

12/09/10  08:04pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area