Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Baylor13   Africabound   Baylor13   Africabound   Baylor13   Africabound   Baylor13   Africabound  
 Member  Message

Baylor13
View Profile

New to Carpet Pythons

So I work at Petco and we get all kinds of animals that people dont want anymore. Well today a guy brought in a beautiful Jungle Carpet Python who is about 7ft. The worst part, the guy had him in a 10 gallon. I was horrified when he brought him in. The cage had poo and a small dish for water. I got him home and tomorrow I will get a tub from walmart for now until I can get him a better cage. For being in such a small cage and being fed live and never being handled he is pretty good with being handled.

11/21/10  08:32pm

Africabound
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2188878

New to Carpet Pythons

A 7 foot jcp in a 10 gallon?!?! Poor guy. It’s great that you found him and are getting him a better place to live. That’s a really nice thing for you to do. Yeah, some snakes that are neglected can definitely get hard to handle, but most carpet pythons grow out of the nippy stage before they reach their full size. If you have any questions about him, we’ll try to help out! :)

11/21/10  09:13pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Africabound   In reference to Message Id: 2188883

New to Carpet Pythons

I do have one question on his cage. I have been doing some research but am getting mixed results. Are they more arboreal or ground dwelling snakes? I have a shelf that is 3ft 8inches tall 1ft deep and 2ft 4inches wide. I think I have a female in that her tail is very narrow and very long. She is in good condition and was fed every week one large rat, I was the one who always got it for the guy. I will get some pics of her when she settles down a little.

11/22/10  11:38am

Africabound
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2188959

New to Carpet Pythons

Carpet pythons do love to climb. I have a few branches in my jcp’s cage, and he loves to crawl around in them. I wouldn’t say that a branch or high place is a requirement, but if you put them in, she will almost surely use them. With a seven foot carpet python, I’d say that one large rat weekly sounds about right. Looking forward to seeing pics!

11/22/10  05:47pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Africabound   In reference to Message Id: 2189029

New to Carpet Pythons

The cage is about 4ft tall 3ft wide and 1ft deep. Tell me what you think.

11/22/10  08:23pm

Africabound
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2189057

New to Carpet Pythons

People say to give carpet pythons about six square feet of space that they can use. Since you’ve put places in there that she can use that are above the floor, she’ll have some climbing space as well. That looks pretty good to me. And she looks like a pretty good size snake. Looking at her pattern, I’d say that she isn’t full jungle. I’m not the best with morphs, but she may have some diamond or even coastal in her. Very pretty snake!

11/23/10  10:48am

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Africabound   In reference to Message Id: 2189120

New to Carpet Pythons

When I get paid again I will get a fake tree for her to climb. For now I put in a new climbing rack for her, it is an old blanket hanging rack and she is loving it. It gives her a little more usable space. Since moving out of the old cage she has calmed down and will let me pick her up without to much hissing.

11/23/10  11:44am

Africabound
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2189134

New to Carpet Pythons

Well, it’s good to know that she’s calming down. Yeah, carpet pythons love their climbing space. Again, it’s great to hear that she got to a responsible owner who can care for her properly! Good job!

11/23/10  08:03pm

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area