Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Pyra   Keirax   Pyra   Keirax   Tupi1   JackAsp   Nikko Gambino  
 Member  Message

Pyra
View Profile

Help please

I was thinking about getting a carpet python but I need to know how fast will a baby grow out of a 10 or 20 gallon? I will be building a larger en closer for my monitor and will be playing musical cages so I will end up with an empty 20 around next spring any maybe something bigger if I decide to build my ball pythons a bigger cage..well my dad will be but I will be paying for it. My ball pythons are in a 55 gallon but I’m not sure if there going to be comfortably when there fully grown. Please let me know on the growth of the carpet python.. thanks

08/18/10  03:14am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Pyra   In reference to Message Id: 2170075

Help please

Well it depends on how big the snake is when you get it and its health, Somethimes they can grow really fast my bally grew over a foot in 6-8 months but i feed her alot and she was in a huge tank for her size. Im sure it would be ok untill at least this spring but the bigger tank will be needed sooner rather than later.

08/18/10  03:39am

Pyra
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2170077

Help please

thanks I’m still not sure what I’m getting yet this is going to be my last snake for a long time and I don’t want something that’s going to go really fast and end up having to buy a bigger cage instead of changing cages with another animal.I’m sure I can figure something out and decide who gets the old monitor cage if he needs it more then my bearded dragon then can work around that for a while.. So how big should I go with a cage 40 gallons? or more

08/18/10  03:47am

Keirax
View Profile

Message To: Pyra   In reference to Message Id: 2170078

Help please

yeah 40 gallon should be good as long as you handel your snake alot, that way he can strech and such outside of the cage. I only had mine in a cage for heat, i feed it outside of its cage and handled it all the time it love my bed use to sit at the end and ut her lil head up to look around the room. how ever if its going to spend most of its time in the cage i would go with a 50gallon just so it has more room to move around. If their cage isnt big enough they can get a type of bed sores that cause scale rot.

08/18/10  05:50pm

Tupi1
View Profile

Message To: Keirax   In reference to Message Id: 2170168

Help please

Just remember a Coastal carpet gets big and a 55 gal would not be big enough for it full grown.But maybe a smaller species like an Irian jaya..I have my jungle carpet in a 20gal right now and dont see it going into anything bigger for at least a few more months maybe longer..Im building it a 4x2x2.Just remember in a pinch you can keep it in one of those giant rubber maid bins.40gal seems small for a full grown carpet python.
This video has a guy holding a full grown jungle carpet python so it gives you an idea of size as adults plus its just a cool video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkcKLmveNH8

Im willing to bet that the 55 is fine for ball pythons.They are not very active snakes.I guess if you have two 5 footers it might be a squeeze but you are the best judge of how active yours are.(plenty of people will tell you not to house them together)but that is your call.

08/23/10  05:49pm

JackAsp
View Profile

Message To: Tupi1   In reference to Message Id: 2171227

Help please

For a male IJ, a 55 would work if you could keep the temps right. For a female, I’m guessing it’s about 50/50 whether or not she’d like it or not, and that’s due mailnly to the difficulty of controlling thre-dimensional temps in a galss enclosure for a slightly bulkier snake. 55 gallon tanks are annoying in that they’re specifically built to look bigger to us than they actually are, which leads to a temptation to stick huge animals into something that’s only one inch wider than a much smaller tank.

All that heat-conductive glass surface plays hell with your thermal gradients in a drafty room, so even though I think that, theoretically, a larger snake could happily make use of that same space... allow room for error. A male IJCP can curl up in a wider variety of small places in a 55 than a female IJ or male JCP... the people who swear by much smallr cages than I do are also are lot more anal about about having the temperature of every single cubic inch thermostatically controlled than I am.

If you were asking about how to heat a rack full of carpie hatchlings, I’d say listen to the experts. But if things are a bit more random... that’s workable too, but you’ve got to play the cards you actually have rather than the ones you’re "supposed" to have.

09/10/10  01:18am

Nikko Gambino
View Profile

Message To: JackAsp   In reference to Message Id: 2174731

Help please

i have been breeding and collecting morelia spilotas for 25 years along with several other snakes anyone who needs advice feel free to ask i havent been on this site for a while .ive been at alot of expos and N.R.B.C just last month in Daytona i also sell carpets all eating f/t and tame from irian jayas ,coastals,jungle carpets,88% irian jaya jags het granite,red hypo jags and other snakes corns,kings and milks i own over 100 snakes and its my full time hobby and just bought my second home according to my snakes so they would have their own room,i love my snakes and take the best of care of them and dont believe in owning a mean snake or live feeders NOT! i have a ton of photos id like to post once i learn how to on here but anyone with questions please ask il answer them to the best of my exspereince (spelt wrong sorry LOL)any carpet lovers out their reach out to me i love to talk snakes and show pics of my newbee’s and collection.

09/13/10  02:26am

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area