Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

CarpetPythons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fairy Frog Mother   ReptileJay   ReptileJay   ReptileJay   ReptileJay   Deadvenom-x   IamLegend   Dragman   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother   IamLegend   Fairy Frog Mother   ReptileJay   Fairy Frog Mother   ReptileJay   Fairy Frog Mother   Reflex   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother   BigBoyzBoids   Crazykent  

Member  Message

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

JCP

This is Ai. He has been through a fire recently, along with a BP and a Florida Kingsnake. The other two are very friendly and fairly docile (though the kingsnake smells the mice I breed and is on alert and wanting more food! ha. Such a piglet.) I am caring for them until their owners have a place to live.

Ive gotten some good advice, but this is my first time keeping a JCP. I have plans to get him a branch and put more greenery in his tank. He is REALLY REALLY freaked out...though already better than when I picked him up from the hotel room. He has a lot of stuck shed but did eat, and now is out and sitting on top of its log. Every time I move it follows me, and comes towards my hand drawn back as if to strike when I go in to change its water. (keeping it super clean in case it has any leisions in its lung(s)from the smoke and heated air) I have added pedialyte to its water (50% solution).

I am open to more advice from those of you more familiar with this species. Im used to Boa Constrictors and Corn and Sonoran Kings. Thank you!

05/27/10  02:25pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2150963

JCP

Ummm... Either your camera sucks even worse than mine, lol, or that’s not a JCP. JCP’s are yellow and black. Those colors remind me more of a bredli, but others with more knowledge of carpet pythons can chime in and correct me if I’m wrong. bredlis (oh how I wish I could have one) are a nice reddish-brown color with white/grey stripes.

05/28/10  02:08am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2151107

JCP

Could be an imbricata. Actually, it doesn’t look like a bredli at all. I don’t know what kind of carpet python that is, but it doesn’t look jungle to me. Jungles are black with yellow markings, so again, unless your camera is really really bad, that’s not a jungle.

05/28/10  02:18am

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2151109

JCP

Although I will say he/she looks bad-.

05/28/10  01:44pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2151166

JCP

bad-a-s-s.

Stop censorship now!

05/28/10  01:45pm

Deadvenom-x
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2151168

JCP

Wild guess... Irian Jaya? ;)

06/05/10  11:47am

IamLegend
View Profile

Message To: Deadvenom-x   In reference to Message Id: 2153303

JCP

im going with Irian Jaya too. I have a bredli, and hes orange and red, Jungles are black and yellow/white, IJs are that coloration.

06/06/10  09:18am

Dragman
View Profile

Message To: IamLegend   In reference to Message Id: 2153551

JCP

LOL who cares what it is i think it look AWSOME! lol really though i love it very coo that u get to keep it but dont get attached if ur only keeping for a bit lol

06/13/10  01:24am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Dragman   In reference to Message Id: 2155349

JCP

I was told he was a JCP by the owners. His yellow is a little more pronounced now that the stuck shed is off but he is black and white with yellow on his sides, and he has gained weight with regular feedings. He was pretty emaciated. They said he had gone on a hunger strike for the 5 weeks since they had moved apartments, then the fire happened too. He was a rescue that was in bad shape when they got him. Ill try to get new photos this weekend. Hes muuuuch happier now that Ive given him a sturdy "limb" to climb on, bleached, rinsed and baked his hide and gave him some fake greenery in his tank to hide behind. I am very pleased with his turn around. I still dont trust him, but he has changed from super agressive/defensive to more of a curiosity. Of course since I raise mice, he smells them and has not once missed a meal in my care. Ha!

07/01/10  12:50pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2159797

JCP

http://www.upmarketpets.com/aquarium/images/livestock/snakes/Cape-york-carpet-python.jpg Hmmm.... that looks like Ai. The on in the photo on that link is a Murray Darling Carpet Python.

07/01/10  01:07pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2159801

JCP

I am going to hazard a guess after looking at several locals, that he is more than likely a mix. If anyone who is more knowledgable than me can Identify it so I can tell the owners, that would rock.

Thank you all for your insights. Ive kept Boas, Kingsnakes and Corns before. Never pythons ( Though Im also caring for a juvi ball python and OMG Im hooked- cept it will be going back to its 4 year old)

The owners are actually hoping to rehome this snake and the Florida Kingsnake but will not ship. Hopefully they will find it a new home and arent expecting me to keep it for htem til they do. I said Id care for them a few weeks, and its been a month. Gies me more time to get em fattened up!

07/01/10  03:58pm

IamLegend
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2159836

JCP

He very well could be a cross, but there is definitely quite a bit of IJ influence on that animal. All the coloring leads me to seeing that. IJs normally do have more complete bands, so theres a chance. Better pics would help a ton, then we can probably go ahead and get him properly ID’ed for you.

Matt

07/02/10  08:18am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: IamLegend   In reference to Message Id: 2159950

JCP

Will do that this weekend. He just ate two medium rats yesterday. He is ALWAYS hungry!! But I cant really blame him, he was SOOOOO skinny when that picture above was taken. I wanted to cry. That is til he latched onto my ring finger one day and coiled my arm ( second feeding. Ha! thatll learn me to use longer tongs with him!)

He has gotten really beautiful now that the stuck shed is off and he has proper humidity. (It was on Calci sand when I got it. CALCI SAND!!! yeesh.)

When he goes back home in a couple weeks, Im going to give them some extra moss and a brick of eco earth along with some F/T rats to insure he stays healthy until they can rehome him. He was a rescue they had and when they moved to the apartment above the shelter, he went on a hunger strike apparently. I keep getting bits and pieces of their history.

When he got to my place, the Calcisand was tossed out IMMEDIATELY, while he was still in a pillowcase. (It smelled soooo badly of toxic smoke and there was a lot of old feces and urates in the sand) I sanitzed the enclosure and put in coconut hull fiber and fresh water with Pedialyte (50/50) as he was severely dehydrated. I also bleached his wood and hides and rinsed them well. Now he also has a closet pole dowel for climbing on, with fake plants to make him feel more secure. The turn around in his health is pretty amazing.

More photos this weekend! Heres the other pic I took when I first got him.

Yes. thats stuck shed all over his tail and spots along his body. And yes, that was his backbone sticking out. And yes, his head was bigger than most of his body. He was in sad sad shape. Wait til you see him now! He is a good looking boy.

07/02/10  01:28pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2159994

JCP

He’s a gorgeous boy. I’m gonna agree with the rest that IJ is definitely in the mix if he’s not just a flat-out pure IJ. He seems a little big to be a jungle. Male jungles tend to be slim and you rarely find one who eats one medium rat, let alone two. Now, with all the crossing in America you do sometimes see larger "jungles" that are usually jungle x coastal crosses. Can’t wait to see the updated pics. Frankly, I think you should keep him until he’s rehomed. No offense to the previous owners, but it doesn’t sound like he was well taken care of before the fire.

07/04/10  12:19am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2160268

JCP

Yeah, well 7 snakes is a bit much in my attic and my pocket book. He was a rescue they took in who was in sad shape...but yeah. Thing is, I dont want to be stuck with an agressive snake. I dont really have the funds to give it the arborial set up he really should have. Im working on a new enclosure for Sorrian that Id hoped to have completed last weekend...but cant figure out how the flourescent is attached in there. I may have to just enclose the whole top because of the lighting...to cage or screen it in to make it safe for him.

Im keeping these three two more weeks then they have to figure out what to do with them. I reminded them last week my commitment was for a few weeks and I can only keep em two more. Im just too busy to clean out 4 mouse tanks, one crestie and seven snake tanks. 4 snake tanks is far more managable, and I care about their well being in my care enough to not let poop sit there, or water go rancid.

07/07/10  12:26pm

ReptileJay
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2160931

JCP

True. It is a lot of work. Understandable that you wouldn’t want to keep doing that. Maybe you can find someone to take him? If I was in Cali, I’d take him in a heartbeat. I’m sure someone out there would be thrilled to have him.

07/07/10  02:18pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: ReptileJay   In reference to Message Id: 2160949

JCP

Thats what Im hoping, as are his "owners" He was a rescue that was in bad shape when they got him, then they had to move and he stressed and stopped eating I found out- they had many rescues, and rehomed all but these last 3 snakes. The ball they wanna keep. The 14 year old Florida King looks to have been attacked by something, prolly a cat, in its younger days and is a beast...every time I walk in the room he comes out of his hide and is all "Got food for me!" He is HUGE and I get the feeling from his size that he got the food that Ai wouldnt eat. He LOVES to soak when I clean his water. Takes a little bath for 15 minutes or so, then goes off to his hide or to bask. I should really handle him more. Problem is, he smells the mice I have, and the other snakes, and nearly always seems hungry, even a day or two after feeding! *chuckles* But I am not sure he would strike, since when he feeds he usually comes up and gently takes the food and moves off with it, then coils round it. He is a total charicter though. Funny as heck. If I were to keep any of them, he would be my choice cause he is so gregarious.

Meh, we will see how it goes.

07/08/10  11:37am

Reflex
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2161115

JCP

Poor thing. At least he is eating. He is GORGEOUS!

As for me, I have 6 gecko cages, 6 snake cages, 3 bearded dragon cages and a rat cage to clean usually twice or more a week (plus a colony of mealworms that occupy 6 sterilite drawers), so I definitely feel ya when it comes to cage cleaning. Then again I probably have more time to do it than you do seeing as I have no life lol.

Anyway, I hope you can find him a home?

07/10/10  12:15am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Reflex   In reference to Message Id: 2161534

JCP

Right so I promised better pictures...and this is why I haven’t gotten them posted yet:

Been like this for a week now. He has calmed down, or is hiding. We moved him to the other side of the house and he can see my boa and has been a lot less aggressive when I get near the tank. He hate a few days after we moved the tank. Thawing out food tonight. We will see if he eats in full shed.

07/13/10  09:48pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2162412

JCP

Woke up this morning to find a full and complete skin hanging out in the cage, and he fed the night before last. After work today I will see if he will let me take him out without eating me and get some good pictures.

Last I talked to his owners, they wanted to try to sell him for a hundred bucks. *Sighs*
I wish one of you was closer to pick him up! At least then Id know he was going into great care.

07/15/10  01:36pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2162787

JCP

Best I could get with him liking to hide in the corner.

07/15/10  07:19pm

BigBoyzBoids
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2162856

JCP

how nig is he?? he is definitely an ij mix i havent gotten too far into carpets other then ij and jungles but he does have a definite ij look maybe he is crossed with some kind of coastal. not sure never even seen a coastal just putting a thought in incase he was big for ij size. but like everyone else has said a jungle has really birght amazing yellows so thats out the picture definitely a pretty snake. and i know how you feel about cages. i have 3 burm cages, a boa cage, an ij carpet cage, a spider ball cage, guinea pig cage, rat cage, 3 mice cage, and 2 savannah monitors. but all the time into them and the positive interaction is more then rewarding enough. i feel bad for breeders who lose there connection with there animals because they want a quick dollar instead of breeding for the love of the breed itself

11/22/10  08:55am

Crazykent
View Profile

Message To: BigBoyzBoids   In reference to Message Id: 2188940

JCP

Wild guess... Irian Jaya is correct in my book i have 8 of them from JCP JJCP to Irian Jaya carpet

but any way good looking in my book !

03/25/15  12:10am

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area