Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Doug2   TheDream   Junglecarpet81  
 Member  Message

Doug2
View Profile

JCP being picky

I have a little JCP and when I got him this september he had a tremendous feeding response and ate like a champ! Its now march and he has grown allot and now is about 30in. Whenever I try to feed him now he is so interested in F/T mice and will take them once in a while. I know in the winter they slow down but this is still a baby (under a year) and he almost never eats. He seems very active and healthy but just not a good eater. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to boost his feeding responce?

03/07/10  09:23am

TheDream
View Profile

Message To: Doug2   In reference to Message Id: 2130801

JCP being picky

In all honesty I don’t see where the problem is. If he is active, maintaining a healthy weight, etc. I don’t think there is any reason to worry.

A snake’s feeding response is different in the wild than it is in captivity; a snake can go months without eating anything where as in captivity the owner feeds once a week, once every two weeks to get size.

I would try leaving the snake alone for a few days and then try again; check your husbandry and by now you should be able to read the snake.

Let us know what happens

Pat

03/09/10  03:41pm

Junglecarpet81
View Profile

Message To: Doug2   In reference to Message Id: 2130801

JCP being picky

one way you can get him to eat is by braining the mouse.

Take a knife or even a safety pin and slide it into the mouse’s brain...gently squeeze so a little brain matter comes out and rub it around the hole you just made and on the face of the mouse.

This worked for me.

Also what temps do you have your snake at? does it have enough water? what size is the tank you have the snake in?

08/29/11  11:33am

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area