Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarpetPythons Forum

Audio   Carpet Blood Ball   Audio   Carpet Blood Ball   Carpet Blood Ball   Audio   Carpet Blood Ball   Carpet Blood Ball   Carpet Blood Ball   Junglecarpet81  
 Member  Message

Audio
View Profile

Personality/difficulty

What’s the personality like for carpet pythons? (like, corn snakes need to be held a certain way vs. other snakes and likeliness to bite) I’ve been looking at ball pythons and then I saw carpets were beginner level experience. I didn’t know that, so I guess they might be in my range of opportunity.

I have a 4 foot long tank (40 gallons i think) and I think the minimum for these guys is 30 something inches length. If they’re not difficult to handle then they might be for me. (i’ve never handled a snake in my life, i used to be terrified of them)

02/02/10  08:01pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Audio   In reference to Message Id: 2119823

Personality/difficulty

if this would be your first snake to own i would highly suggest getting a bp (Ball Python). I would suggest this becuase it is a great beginner snake. I also think that anyone in here would agree with me when i say that bp’s are probably the best snake to start with.

02/02/10  11:15pm

Audio
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2119882

Personality/difficulty

well, yeah but the thing is i heard carpets are also beginner level snakes. also consider i’ve been handling reptiles (tokays more specifically) for quite some time just not snakes. so i’m curious as to whats different between those 2 types of python.

02/03/10  01:18pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Audio   In reference to Message Id: 2120041

Personality/difficulty

well i have both bp and carpet, they are both very nice and well mannered. my carpet is tank aggressive right now and im trying to break him of that habbit by feeding him outside of the tank. one of the biggest factors that you would need to figure out is if you have the space for a carpet or a bp. another one is what kind of carpet are you looking at getting, there are numerious types of carpets. i know for a fact that thier are jungle, diamond, coastal, and many more that i cant think of right now. another thing i was suggest is really doing your research on them and really figure out what your getting into.if i can find the post i had up ill bump it up and it was helpful for me and can only hope that is would be helpful for you to.

02/03/10  02:00pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2120061

Personality/difficulty

please look at my new post for info on where to find my other post.

02/03/10  02:21pm

Audio
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2120075

Personality/difficulty

alright thanks. Irian Jaya being the shortest, if anyone has more info I’d appreciate it being more directed toward that type of carpet python.

02/03/10  03:04pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Audio   In reference to Message Id: 2120084

Personality/difficulty

if you can find the member Sam she would be a wonderful person to talk to about the Irian Jaya, if i remember correctly she has a few. i know she loves her carpets though. i have just recently taken pics of my bp and carpet, i will post them as soon as i can.

02/03/10  08:41pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2120181

Personality/difficulty

here is my carpet named Harvey

And here is my bp Spike

02/06/10  02:20pm

Carpet Blood Ball
View Profile

Message To: Carpet Blood Ball   In reference to Message Id: 2120981

Personality/difficulty

well im in maryland and as most of you probably know we got hit by a storm. When they said a storm they werent kinding, we got easliy 3ft of snow, earlier today we had two firetrucks get stuck right by my house. we have been shoving on and off all day and we still havent finished the drive way yet, and we only have a 2 car driveway with two cars in it. hopefully we’ll have it finished tomorrow. oh yea i almost forget SNOWBALL FIGHT ANYONE.

02/06/10  10:54pm

Junglecarpet81
View Profile

Message To: Audio   In reference to Message Id: 2119823

Personality/difficulty

In my opinion other than the fact that carpet are known to be nippy when you first aquire one as a baby with daily handling 5 - 10 mins a day (after youve given them a week or so to settle in without handling them) they will eventually calm down and stop biting. the bites dont hurt at all (not to me anyway) they just shock you because the snakes are so fast they nip and let go.

I do feel as though as long as you wont let the bites scare you away carpet pythons make good beginner snakes one reason is because after they get used to you and stop biting they have a very calm demeanor. Also many people love snakes that to a big size however as a beginner you never want to get anything huge like a burmese python or a reticulated python. having said that jungle carpets get to a nice managable size that even as adults these snakes dont need more than one person to handle them when feeding or cage duties. From time to time you might be get nipped even from an adult/sub adult if you are mistaken for food but other than that you’ll be just fine with it.

I currently own four carpets: two diamond crosses, one coastal, and one jungle cross. The diamonds i recently got as babies from Albinonile.com they came right out the box calm and relaxed didnt bit at all. my coastal i got from craigslist he was a biter for about a good two - three weeks but now is really calm and tries to flee when i remove him from the enclosure rather than bite. My jungle cross i got about 2 -3 months ago as sub adult no biting no problems what so ever... these snakes are very addictive and i think make great beginner snakes who anyone who takes the husbandry serious for these gorgeous animals.

08/29/11  11:17am

Back to CarpetPythons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area