Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Caimans Forum

Jimi_1971   CelticTigeress   Jimi_1971   CelticTigeress   Bam   Jaeyke   CelticTigeress   CelticTigeress   Caimen king   CelticTigeress   Jaeyke   Jaeyke   Dusty   Caimen king   Jaeyke   Janyce   A D   A D   Janyce   A D   Ddash   CelticTigeress  
 Member  Message

Jimi_1971
View Profile

Dwarf Caiman

Do dwarf caiman make good first crocodillians. I know they can be aggressive but it is to much for a first time crocodillian owner. Also, how long could one live in a 180 or slightly larger aquarium. Thanks for your help.

05/03/05  10:22pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Jimi_1971   In reference to Message Id: 332343

Dwarf Caiman

Most of us will tell you forget about the tank.

Waste of money, they need twice their length in both land and water..Bam would tell you he has a TON of caimans huh Papa? your best bet is to do more reading check out the archives and caresheets here, then revamp your questions.I t hink Krok has started his off in tupperware?? Dont quote me on that I could have misread, so he could better tell you. I start my hatchlings off in a kiddie pool. the kiddie pool has rocks built underneath and a ramp that gave them the whole room, the bigger guys were moved into a basement and now they have their own enclosure outside. Usually tanks are a waste of time and just a quick way to have a place... your asking questions about it so to be upfront do a little reading and do an enclosure that can house for a few years...it saves you money in the long run and less chance of stress for the lil guy/gal of having to be relocated to another enclosure because they grew.

05/04/05  12:41pm

Jimi_1971
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 332714

Dwarf Caiman

Basically all I really want to know is peoples personal experiences with dwarf caimans(like what a bite from them is like) and if any one has used this kind of set-up before and how long it lasted them. Thank you.

05/04/05  11:18pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Jimi_1971   In reference to Message Id: 333479

Dwarf Caiman

And as I stated we dont start ours off in tanks, they DONT last, within the first year your looking at an easy foot of growth. Most of us do homemade enclosures to prevent stressful moves, and to assure that we dont have to pour a ton of money into new tanks.as for the bite of one, it isnt pleasant, ask Papa Bam...Ive been nailed by My Gal Pandora whose an Amer Alligator when she was a little over a foot, and when she latched down on my hand she broke bones, caused me to get stitches and the like from puncture wounds. Babies have the same amount of jaw pressure let me see if I can describe it to you....

Imagine someone taking a vice clamp tightening it around your hand until you feel like your bones are snapping....add teeth.

I can say this for a fact that I know, I had a 13incher that My Dad was handling not by a mistake on his part but by an accident it latched to his middle finger and rolled briefly snapped the finger nearly ripped it off.

But summing it up in two words... IT HURTS.

Again read the archives and the caresheets.

05/05/05  12:29pm

Bam
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 333722

Dwarf Caiman

Celtic Baby said it best. Tanks don’t last. When I get hatchlings, because I have so many tanks, I’ll put them in there for a little while, while I build yet another enclosure! Tanks don’t last. The caiman gets big and strong and glass breaks! Bites hurt. Caimans are not a good first anything. I love them. I have 8. They are all between 3 and 5 feet. But they are nasty. American Alligators have a slightly better temperment, as Celtic or Tony (Bayou Beasts) will tell you. If your mind is dead set on having a caiman, then read, then read a little more, then read some more and then you’ll be almost ready.

Good luck.

05/25/05  11:48pm

Jaeyke
View Profile

Message To: Bam   In reference to Message Id: 353759

Dwarf Caiman

all ill tell you is there good cause theyre small and all care sheets say easy crocs

10/31/05  07:41pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Jaeyke   In reference to Message Id: 527657

Dwarf Caiman

Jae.... and Ill tell you..your WRONG.

Dont offer advice of "easy crocs" NO croc is "easy" and small doesnt make a difference..ever heard the expression,"Dynamite comes in small packages"? think on it..just because an animal is small doesnt make it any easier...a coral snake a blackwidow a brown recluse a baby rattler are "small" but they still DANGEROUS if someone unfamiliar gets one or handles one without knowledge... that is like telling someone "get a small green mamba, they are good because they are small" people need to know the truth not have assumptions and false statements given to them..sure with the right handler a dwarf caiman is good...because the handler is experianced...but if someone has never had a croc.......it makes them moreso dangerous

10/31/05  08:18pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Dwarf Caiman

Jae.... and Ill tell you..your WRONG.

Dont offer advice of "easy crocs" NO croc is "easy" and small doesnt make a difference..ever heard the expression,"Dynamite comes in small packages"? think on it..just because an animal is small doesnt make it any easier...a coral snake a blackwidow a brown recluse a baby rattler are "small" but they still DANGEROUS if someone unfamiliar gets one or handles one without knowledge... that is like telling someone "get a small green mamba, they are good because they are small" people need to know the truth not have assumptions and false statements given to them..sure with the right handler a dwarf caiman is good...because the handler is experianced...but if someone has never had a croc.......it makes them moreso dangerous

10/31/05  08:19pm

Caimen king
View Profile

Dwarf Caiman

So what is the best crocidilian to start of with? Caimens are meaner than an american alligator and crocadiles are ginormuos lol
Just wonderin? Tom

10/31/05  09:17pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Caimen king   In reference to Message Id: 527752

Dwarf Caiman

Darn reptic posted twice....

It depends on the specifications someone is looking for, I dont want to discriminate against one breed or another...but the thing is that I dont want the wrong info being given out...ie "they are small so they are easy" if your ready for a caiman I feel then your ready for an Amer Alligator. I just enjoy the disposition of the gators, but Bam loves his caimans...there isnt one breed better then the other it depends on a persons preference, my point was this...size means nothing and makes nothing any easier then if it was larger, a croc is a croc and if you have experiance with monitors and large lizards that bite if you have done your referenc...studied and gotten the area ready and think you can feed then the type of croc is up to you...

if your inexperianced then study, look up speak with others but dont jump on the "smaller is easier" bandwagon... thats all... *grins* ginormous keeps the annoying kids away *wink*and mormons

11/01/05  07:14am

Jaeyke
View Profile

Message To: CelticTigeress   In reference to Message Id: 527980

Dwarf Caiman

what ive read is there easyier than alligators and crocs.if im wrong tell me.but what ive also read is house them in a enclousure 7 x its lenth a 12-16 foot alligator when all you have is a 16 x 10 porch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do you think i have room to be humane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11/01/05  11:36am

Jaeyke
View Profile

Message To: Jaeyke   In reference to Message Id: 528088

Dwarf Caiman

this "reptic zone" is stupid cause it seems like im always wrong . im done here cause everyones stuck up and stick to their opinion.I QUIT!!!

11/01/05  11:58am

Dusty
View Profile

Message To: Jaeyke   In reference to Message Id: 528102

Dwarf Caiman

dwarf caiman make good first crocodilians IF you have had some experience with other reptiles (and I’m not talking "i bred my 2 leopard geckos that I’ve had for 2 years", I’m talking about having larger quantities of aggressive reptiles at some point or other). OBVIOUSLY an alligator that achieves 14 feet isn’t in everyone’s budget OR comfort zone. Being that dawfs are substantially smaller, and therefor more manageable in the long-run; you’re better-off with something that fits your lifestyle. I can pretty much guarantee that you’ll either decided that that’s all you can handle or that you want a larger challenge and decide to get something like an alligator. Start small, then go big.

For sake of argument, lets say you’re getting a ’wild-cat’. A serval cat is much more manageable then say... ....a tiger, or cougar. Ultimately it’s what works for you, right. But you have to take into account the animals well-being too.

A 180 would be ok for the first year of a dwarfs life, possible second, being that they grow slower then alligators. But it would be pretty mean to push it much longer then that.

Make sure that you find someone that owns an animal of this type BEFORE you get one so that you understand EXACTLY how aggressive a dwarf camain, alligator, croc and the like can be. :) Either way, good luck :)

11/01/05  03:04pm

Caimen king
View Profile

Message To: Dusty   In reference to Message Id: 528264

Dwarf Caiman

Thanks celtic and Dusty. TOM

11/01/05  04:02pm

Jaeyke
View Profile

Message To: Jaeyke   In reference to Message Id: 528102

Dwarf Caiman

ok maybe i dont quit!!!im sorry to anyone i offended.i got pissed and spazzed.celtic,in my first post i was getting to tempermant ect.but i had to run an errand.im mostly sorry to u.post something if u forgive me.oh and also i have no reps. but ive studied them lots.i still live with my parents and im working on them! P.S i have pets.

11/02/05  04:32pm

Janyce
View Profile

Dwarf Caiman

so do dwarf caiman make good first crocodillians, and are they hard to take care of, compared to maybe a boa or a python. are dwarf caiman’s a good starter for someone like me that has never had a caiman ( i do have lots of experience with snakes and turtles )!

08/11/08  10:47pm

A D
View Profile

Message To: Janyce   In reference to Message Id: 1827720

Dwarf Caiman

Ok-yes they are easy. but that is a personal perspective...if you think taking care of a potential 6’ animal that can put you in the hospital, and is faster than flash Gordon is easy then yes. I think they are fun, its a great pet that keeps you on your toes (very hard to get bored with) just when you think you can relax SNAP! they surprise ya :). The bite severity depends on the size of the animal and whether it’s a warning bite, a feeding mishap, or you pissed it off. Hand-feeding is fun but dumb, yes i sometimes do it oops! Also if you make a setup or do go with glass make sure it is at least 1’’ tempered.

08/15/08  07:37pm

A D
View Profile

Message To: A D   In reference to Message Id: 1832198

Dwarf Caiman

Just remember God gave you 10 fingers, I’m sure you could spare one of two. Unless its your nose picking finger, then your S.O.L.

08/15/08  07:43pm

Janyce
View Profile

Message To: A D   In reference to Message Id: 1832203

Dwarf Caiman

I wasn’t planning on using a glass tank! how deep dose the was need to be for a baby caiman .

Thanks

08/16/08  10:52am

A D
View Profile

Message To: Janyce   In reference to Message Id: 1832743

Dwarf Caiman

so it can touch the bottom with all four feet and still breath, but you could probably have it a little deeper.

08/16/08  07:48pm

Ddash
View Profile

Dwarf Caiman

K let me start off by saying i need help and suggestions quik, i am in way over my head. I live in ontario canada and thought i would be cool to get a gator, well now i got the gator and not what i expected, i know nothing about gators. He or she is about 2 feet its supposed to be a "runt" Dwarf wedgehead caiman, supposed to be 4 months old, thats what im confused about why so big for 4 months, what age is it really? How do i know what sex it is? Is there even runts, is that possible? I have it in a 75 gallon its mostly water with a landing for basking but it is obviously too small. i live in an apartment so space is an issue. What should i do i am one of those idiots that owed iquanas and bearded dragons for decades and got a gator. please help open for ideas, criticism anything will help at this point. i would really like to keep it.

03/12/11  08:18pm

CelticTigeress
View Profile

Message To: Ddash   In reference to Message Id: 2209294

Dwarf Caiman

Well Dash wow..your open admittance has me floored!

No there is no such thing as a runt...and people will tell you the myth "If you leave it in a tank it will stay that big’ no it won’t I will tell you ahead of time if you put your kid in a dresser drawer your kid would not stay that big would they?

Secondly at that age he/she is roughly about 1 1/2 to 2 years old they grow roughly a foot a year the first 2-3 years then about 6 inches after depending on feeding regimen... do not feed goldfish do not feed solely fish it can cause B-12 deficiency due to high level of thiaminese..

A lot of the guys on here have GREAT setups for theirs you should talk to my Dad Bam see his setup... he raises Caimens I on the otherhand prefer my gators.... that tank will only hold so long they need to be able to FULLY turn around their water and land mass needs to be three times their length all the way around MINIMAL... Most that look into getting these guys prepare ahead of time Tony had a basement setup I had a bedroom setup with an actual Pond.. Now I am renovating my front pond to house in the yard....

usually I do critisize and I admit OPENLY I am mean and nasty towards the people that get one when they like you jump into it...but there is a difference you came on admitted the mistakes and asked for help... what I would suggest is research... I like to vary diet from chicken gizzards to chicken wings...I also do squirrel deer, crickets...occasional fish but I buy frozen... there is a reason frozen helps break down the thiaman.... you can also get good variety keep it freshwater fish though also difference between Caiman and gator there

Having one in an apartment is going to be a problem... these guys are not made for apartment living and you are looking at something that will get roughly 6feet and require a lot of room for swimming and moving this is where someone else comes in...why? I always owned my own place never had an apartment and always thought ahead.. for now I would suggest if you have a two bedroom apartment a kiddie pool a basking area with a light and your caiman having free range......

03/14/11  03:28am

Back to Caimans Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area